Ironic, got AppleCare for my iPhone 6+. Tonight I dropped it and the screen cracked.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by kalirob99, Sep 26, 2014.

1. kalirob99 macrumors 68000

kalirob99

How much more of a dent is this gonna be to my wallet when I take it in tomorrow? :mad: Also should I make an appt. at the AppleStore or will walking be fine?
    Gotta say it cracked pretty bad, it didn't look like that bad a fall. But it didn't have a case and landed face down on the bathroom tile.
    Also guessing that since it's early they'll just give me a new one?

2. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

sorry to hear about the screen. definitely need a genius appointment. you don't want to be a walk-in on the weekend, especially the weekend after an iphone launch. the replacement will cost you $79.

:edit:

if you paid for the phone with a credit card, you might be able to file a claim to reimburse the cost of fixing.

3. kalirob99 thread starter macrumors 68000

kalirob99

Thanks its got me glad I got AppleCare+ but at the same time thinking I jinxed myself lol. Guess that $79 isn't to bad considering.
    When I got AC over the phone days back the guy said they can also mail a new one out, wondering if that would be the best way to go with the iPhone 6+ shortage? Guessing I have to call in to report it for that though, right?
    About the edited part with the CC, I did pay for it with one. Just not sure what you're suggesting? Always good to avoid spending lol.

4. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

That's not ironic. It's simply an unfortunate scenario.

5. iphone5att64 macrumors 6502

Pay $129 to replace the screen if you can get reimbursed. Save your two $79 service fees for repairs that will cost $329.

https://www.apple.com/support/iphone/repair/other/

You could go further and return AppleCare+, replace the screen for $129 and sell the phone.

6. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

I'd call it fortuitous.

7. kalirob99 thread starter macrumors 68000

kalirob99

Blame Alanis Morrisette for the confusion

That all sounds like a lot of work lol. But what could cost me 329?

8. poorcody macrumors 6502

poorcody

Glass screen protector

Anyone have experience with glass screen protectors? Supposedly they will (usually?) break instead of the main screen in such circumstances. Kind of curious if anyone found that to be true... ?

9. canuckRus macrumors 6502

canuckRus

You can ask. Also check with your CC issuer as to whether or not you have 90 day damage protection coverage and if so any possible limitations.

10. kalirob99 thread starter macrumors 68000

kalirob99

Really? I have no idea really if it has that protection, but it's a Chase Ink card. Seems like a drop would be my fault, but a CC can cover it???

edit: Checked and looks like the card does, says this: Purchase Protection is a credit card benefit that reimburses you for theft and accidental damage on purchases made using your Chase card. This benefit covers your new purchases for 120 days against damage or theft up to $500 or $10,000 per claim, and $50,000 per year for the account owner and all authorized users combined, or for the account owner and each authorized user per year. Your eligibility for this benefit and the amount of the maximum claim and annual limit depends on the type of your card. To learn more you can call us at

So sounds like the card does, right?

11. brand macrumors 601

brand

That word doesn't mean what you think it means. A little tip, Mac OS has a built in dictionary named Dictionary.app.

12. Greenone macrumors 6502

I put one on my phone yesterday. It's kind of odd - you can see it on there (the edges look raised obviously compared to where there's no protector on the screen). I had the Verizon person put it on actually so I never even felt it to see if there was some weight to it. Curious about that. Looking at my 6 Plus, I'd say that I'd be screwed if that thing took a fall. The screen's just too big and phone too thin. Not being a hater, just instincts tell me one would be very lucky to watch this phone survive a fall, even if moderately protected.

13. kalirob99 thread starter macrumors 68000

kalirob99

On the phone with Chase, looks like I do have it. I'm on hold with their Purchase Protection. Any idea how this will go? I'm just wondering if I'll have a phone.

Youre late to the party sorry.

14. brand macrumors 601

brand

Yes but at least i'm fashionable. :p

15. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Even during a launch, Apple stores will have some "plain white box" phones for each model that aren't for sale, but are held for warranty and Applecare+ replacements. Right now those phones are just as new as a fresh-bought one, though in a few weeks those plain white boxes will be filled with refurbished phones instead. So get a replacement now while the getting is good.

If you go call in to get a replacement by mail, it will take longer and the chance might be higher of getting a refurb instead of a new replacement.

Maybe purposefully bending your phone to see if it really bends? :)

16. Tekzilla macrumors regular

Tekzilla

There's a non zero chance they will replace it without charging you.

Just go in, be open, honest and sincere. Don't ask how much this will cost. Just them look at it, do their thing and let them ask the questions. I've gotten screens replaced for free outside of Applecare, and considering how new the phone is, they may be willing to do so for you.

17. iPhone7ate9 macrumors 6502a

I dare anyone talking about the word ironic to define it. In their own words without looking at a dictionary.

18. kalirob99 thread starter macrumors 68000

kalirob99

Well got off the phone with Chase and filed the claim. Sounds like a lot to do and a long wait to save 79. But I filed the claim anyways. If I cave and decided to just take it in and get the screen fixed I can just tell Chase to cancel the claim right? :mad:

Really? How would I find out if the one near me has an iPhone 6+ 64GB?
    Also, there are refurbs for it already if I call in for a replacement??? I can'timagine they are doing refurbs that fast.

I'll try this either way lol but I doubt I'd get that lucky.

19. Willis macrumors 68020

Willis

Apple always receive a few of each new phone for service part replacements and these are new phones.

As for the repair options, if they are able to replace the display then they will, otherwise its the whole handset for a display repair cost until they can or, under AppleCare+ it's a whole unit replacement anyway rather than individual modular repair.

If I was you, I'd just go in store and get it fixed. It will be done within the appointment time or upto 30 mins if they have the display part in stock.

:)

20. kalirob99 thread starter macrumors 68000

kalirob99

I'm contemplating it, but I did file with the CC already like the wife thought. But I'm wondering if I can just tell the CC company nevermind on the claim or if that's a no no?

21. Willis macrumors 68020

Willis

Well it's up to you really.

Will they want you to send the phone to them or will they just reimburse you the cost of the repair? Is there an excess price attached too?

I have insurance with my bank but have a £60 excess, and my AppleCare+ (which I haven't used) is £55 for the two accidental damage repairs. As I'm local to an Apple Store, I know which option I'd go down!

22. kalirob99 thread starter macrumors 68000

kalirob99

It sounds like if the screen is cracked its considered waste so it sounds like its cash back. I would imagine that they want it sent back, since this could probably be repaired, but Apple would probably lock this out the second I say I replaced it with my carrier.
    But if costs are a normal event in these cases, I probably will have to pay something back. I've never done one which you can probanly see lol.
    Can I tell the CC company nevermind on the claim or will that seem off to them? I'm more worried about the CC companies reaction if I call the claim off. Not sure if they'd care.
    But an AppleStore is 30 minutes from our house so I could drive there tomorrow.

23. Willis macrumors 68020

Willis

If the CC company want you to send the phone off to them and the repair/replacement isn't done correctly, you lose your AppleCare+ because it won't be attached to the replacement phone (unless you get the same phone back)

I'd honestly just go to the store and get it sorted out there, unless the CC Company is going to reimburse you. Only difference is you can get it fixed tomorrow or you can wait longer for the CCC to get their act together!

24. ApplePhy macrumors 6502

You don't know how many people misuse this word.

25. kalirob99 thread starter macrumors 68000

kalirob99

That would suck. I think the CC would reinburse. But it sounds like this damage would mean Applecare would need to swap phones since this isnt an easy fix.
    What would happen if the Applestore didn't have my model in stock when I go in tomorrow?
    I'm wondering if I should go in store or deal with Applecare over the phone? My only worry is that they're out of stock for my model.
    I take it the CCC won't have a problem with me canceling the return process with them?