Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Vetvito

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2012
Anyone have experience with glass screen protectors? Supposedly they will (usually?) break instead of the main screen in such circumstances. Kind of curious if anyone found that to be true... ?

Yes this is true. It really depends on the drop although. For example no screen protector will survive a two story drop.

Glass screen protectors have saved my phone on several occasions. I hate using a case, but I'm using one until better screen protectors become available.

wxman2003

Suspended
Apr 12, 2011
I'm not even sure Apple is fixing broken 6 models in the store yet. I wonder if they will just replace the phone for the price of a screen replacement.

IndoX

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2011
I'm not even sure Apple is fixing broken 6 models in the store yet. I wonder if they will just replace the phone for the price of a screen replacement.
They are.

At the moment Apple is offering $109/$129 full unit replacements on iPhone 6 models until they can do in store repairs on the displays.

OP, I suggest going to the Genius Bar and asking them to do the replacement of the device out of warranty rather than under applecare+.

In this scenario you are losing money if you pay $79 AND lose an accidental incident.

kalirob99

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 24, 2008
California
They are.

At the moment Apple is offering $109/$129 full unit replacements on iPhone 6 models until they can do in store repairs on the displays.

OP, I suggest going to the Genius Bar and asking them to do the replacement of the device out of warranty rather than under applecare+.

In this scenario you are losing money if you pay $79 AND lose an accidental incident.

Will my AppleCare still carry over to the next phone? Also what if there isn't the same model in store tomorrow?

powerbook911

macrumors 68040
Mar 15, 2005
Will my AppleCare still carry over to the next phone? Also what if there isn't the same model in store tomorrow?

I'm not sure about the Applecare if you pay for the service. White box replacement phones, they have a good chance at having in stock whatever you need.

draven898

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2014
nevada
I dare anyone talking about the word ironic to define it. In their own words without looking at a dictionary.
An old man turned ninety-eight
He won the lottery and died the next day
It's a black fly in your Chardonnay
It's a death row pardon two minutes too late
And isn't it ironic... don't you think

It's like rain on your wedding day
It's a free ride when you've already paid
It's the good advice that you just didn't take
Who would've thought... it figures

Mr. Play It Safe was afraid to fly
He packed his suitcase and kissed his kids goodbye
He waited his whole damn life to take that flight
And as the plane crashed down he thought
"Well isn't this nice..."
And isn't it ironic... don't you think

Well life has a funny way of sneaking up on you
When you think everything's okay and everything's going right
And life has a funny way of helping you out when
You think everything's gone wrong and everything blows up
In your face

A traffic jam when you're already late
A no-smoking sign on your cigarette break
It's like ten thousand spoons when all you need is a knife
It's meeting the man of my dreams
And then meeting his beautiful wife
And isn't it ironic...don't you think
A little too ironic...and, yeah, I really do think...

Life has a funny way of sneaking up on you
Life has a funny, funny way of helping you out
Helping you out

powerbook911

macrumors 68040
Mar 15, 2005
Wow wouldn't have guessed they had that many iPhone 6+ replacements on hold in store.

Based on past phone launched, I have my fingers crossed they will for you.

When you are selling millions, that is one of things you need to have ready at launch. At least, I hope they had them ready!

kalirob99

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 24, 2008
California
Based on past phone launched, I have my fingers crossed they will for you.

When you are selling millions, that is one of things you need to have ready at launch. At least, I hope they had them ready!

Thanks for the crossed fingers, I'll need it lol. What would be the worst case scenario if they don't have my model?

powerbook911

macrumors 68040
Mar 15, 2005
Thanks for the crossed fingers, I'll need it lol. What would be the worst case scenario if they don't have my model?

They would probably tell you to wait, or visit another Apple store. Perhaps, they could order one in, but not sure how that works this early on.

Hopefully they will simply have one there for you. What color and capacity?

kalirob99

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 24, 2008
California
They would probably tell you to wait, or visit another Apple store. Perhaps, they could order one in, but not sure how that works this early on.

Hopefully they will simply have one there for you. What color and capacity?

Wait, like come back in a day or the less likely they'll deliver one? My models an iPhone 6+ white 64GB btw.
Any idea how long or easy it'd be to call AppleCare over the phone? Just not sure what's smarter.

canuckRus

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2014
Really? I have no idea really if it has that protection, but it's a Chase Ink card. Seems like a drop would be my fault, but a CC can cover it???

edit: Checked and looks like the card does

So sounds like the card does, right?

Sure does. Helped a guy with same situation a while back. Damaged his in a drop. $400 or so to fix covered by his CC. No problem at all.

617aircav

Suspended
Jul 2, 2012
Anyone have experience with glass screen protectors? Supposedly they will (usually?) break instead of the main screen in such circumstances. Kind of curious if anyone found that to be true... ?

Yes. My other phone dropped on the pavement in a parking lot. The tempered glass broke but the screen underneath was perfect. It works.

memory-minus

macrumors member
Nov 10, 2012
I had my silver 6+ 128 replaced yesterday at the Apple Store for a dead pixel. The genius I spoke with said they were well stocked with replacement units, which at this point are brand new.

justinwebb

macrumors regular
Aug 23, 2009
Wait, like come back in a day or the less likely they'll deliver one? My models an iPhone 6+ white 64GB btw.
Any idea how long or easy it'd be to call AppleCare over the phone? Just not sure what's smarter.

Instead of asking a billion questions to us why not either just call them or go in yourself, if sure they will love you asking all your questions and probably could have it solved by now. Good lord.

canuckRus

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2014
Instead of asking a billion questions to us why not either just call them or go in yourself, if sure they will love you asking all your questions and probably could have it solved by now. Good lord.

FINALLY, someone with a modicum of common sense.
THANK YOU! THE END?

anonymous82

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2014
Yes. My other phone dropped on the pavement in a parking lot. The tempered glass broke but the screen underneath was perfect. It works.

Same experience with Spigen glass screen protector on my wife's 5S. She gave it to my kids and they dropped it couple times, the screen protector was in very bad shape but the phone screen still looks like new when I sold it.

For the 6 and 6+ I am still undecided whether to get the glass protector given the phone's screen is curved at the edge.

kalirob99

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 24, 2008
California
Same experience with Spigen glass screen protector on my wife's 5S. She gave it to my kids and they dropped it couple times, the screen protector was in very bad shape but the phone screen still looks like new when I sold it.

For the 6 and 6+ I am still undecided whether to get the glass protector given the phone's screen is curved at the edge.

This is why I'm getting a screen protector on the replacement. I think the InvisibleShields and it's better versions will be out on October 2. I'm going all out with the replacement.

TRC-WA

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2014
How much more of a dent is this gonna be to my wallet when I take it in tomorrow? :mad: Also should I make an appt. at the AppleStore or will walking be fine?
Gotta say it cracked pretty bad, it didn't look like that bad a fall. But it didn't have a case and landed face down on the bathroom tile.
Also guessing that since it's early they'll just give me a new one?

At least you saved $50 on a quality case.

----------

You don't know how many people can't define "irony"

A bunch of idiots dancing on a plane to a song made famous by a band that died in a plane crash...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.