Irreversibly Damaged Motherboard - iPhone 4S

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Shhmmooove, Jan 11, 2014.

1. Shhmmooove macrumors member

Shhmmooove

Hi folks,

Happy new year to you all.

Quick question - with an irreversibly damaged motherboard, would you expect your iPhone to function at all?

I put mine thru the wash for about 10mins.....I dried it out for few days and powered up....screen didn't work.....however every other testable function seems to be ok. The repair company I sent it to say it cannot be repaired due to a damaged mobo.

I am confused as currently the device seems to operate, only the screen does not function - even the touch interface seems to work as it responds to screen taps.

Siri also responds when the Home button is depressed, so he and the internal loudspeaker works. He can read my email, and send messages, even open apps.

Wifi is connecting as normal and messages are downloaded, and cellular seems to work when I ask Siri to call a number which connects normally.

The iPod works when I plug in my headphones and use the hands free play buttons to play, pause and skip through tracks. The vibration switch and vibration component seem to work when toggled, and so do the volume keys.

The camera seems to work though I cannot test this effectively...when app is open, the volume up key takes the shot, but no idea if the lens/sensor are ok as I can't seem to get Siri to email the photo. Also, when connected to iTunes the device is recognised, and backed up accordingly. I don't mean to second guess the repair company but this doesn't sound like a device with a damaged motherboard?

Thanks,

Amal

2. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Depends. How do you know what is functionally ok?

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Its quite possible that a portion of the logic board failed/shorted out and so some parts of the phone still function but other parts do not. That does not mean a repair company can correct the failed components. At this point a new logic board is what is needed. Whether that can be done by the repair company is really up to them and their ability to get spare parts.

tl;dr, Part of the logic board failed and needs a new logic board

4. sammy-boy macrumors regular

I'd suspect that either the connector on the screen, or worse the connector on the mainboard has been corroded by the contact with water. If it's on the screen's connector then you should be able to replace the screen and get the phone working again, but if the corrosion's on the mainboard (or on both) then it's time for a new mainboard or new phone :(

Sadly moisture damage is usually irreversible and terminal.

5. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Cheapest and quickest fix ... Replace the screen

6. Mrbobb macrumors 601

I don't understand when u say the screen is faulty but then you also say touch input works and obviously you are able to see the screen since u confirmed functioning components.

Repair companies don't do magic. Look at the motherboard, just about everything is soldered solid, this is not like your car they find a faulty fuel injector and they can just unscrew that and put in a new one.

Sounds like maybe repairable but most likely a DIY thing, unless u live in a third world country and they repair anything there. First World, they are too good to go beyond the easy stuff.

7. Shhmmooove thread starter macrumors member

Shhmmooove

Thanks for the responses folks - after a local technician took a look under the microscope, it turns out that a tiny transistor by the display connector has corroded, hence why the display doesn't work. He even did the work for free as he was dumbfounded by the fact everything seemed to work when commanded to Siri.

Such as shame as even without a functioning screen the phone is still better than my temporary handet - an old HTC Desire from 2010 which does have a working screen!!! :(

Cheers.