Irritated by short Apple charging / sync cable.

Discussion in 'iPad' started by dadoftwogirls, Mar 27, 2011.

?

How long should Apple make the charging / sync cable?

Poll closed Apr 21, 2011.
  1. I like the current cable.

18 vote(s)
    29.5%
  2. 42-45 inches.

5 vote(s)
    8.2%
  3. 45-50 inches.

16 vote(s)
    26.2%
  4. Longer than 50 inches.

16 vote(s)
    26.2%
  5. Apple should offer a longer cable as an accessory for purchase.

16 vote(s)
    26.2%
  1. dadoftwogirls, Mar 27, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2011

dadoftwogirls macrumors 6502

dadoftwogirls

Is it just me? Back in the day Apple gave you a pretty good length USB charging cable. Now they are 40 inches or so. I measured an older one from an original iPod and it was 45" inches long. The one with my iPad 2 is a little over 39" inches long. I know it doesn't sound like much difference but it is. I mean you need to be right near an outlet if you plan to use your device plugged in. So how much can they be saving on a few extra inches of wire? A few cents? I know they offer the 6" 10W charging cable but it is big and bulky, and expensive. So, what length standard USB charging / sync cable would you like Apple offer?

2. TheWheelMan macrumors 6502a

TheWheelMan

I bought the 6 foot charging cable from the Apple site for my iPad 1. It's actually the same short charging cable, but with a nice, thick extension cord that runs from the iPad AC Adapter to the electrical outlet. Very nice. But I think they could have just included it with the iPad too.

3. Blorzoga macrumors 68030

Blorzoga

If Apple gave you a longer cable, then you wouldn't have to spend the exorbitant price they charge for the extension cable. They know that. Just buy an ordinary extension cord. Might not be as elegant, but it gets the job done.

4. kuebby macrumors 68000

kuebby

That's what I do too. I have one plugged into my iMac, one next to my bed (for my iPhone), and one connected to an extension cord from a MacBook that runs from the power strip near my desk all the way across (like 6 or 7 feet).

5. Blorzoga macrumors 68030

Blorzoga

This is how Apple operates. They provide accessories that are very limited and then get customers to buy their additional accessories at ridiculously high prices. Just about any accessory that they sell, you can get elsewhere for less than half the price. $30 for the USB charging adapter for the iPhone. $30 for earbuds. $40 for the HDMI dongle (no knockoffs of this yet). Then, in an attempt to force people to but their accessories, they make the jack openings in the bumper case so small, that a lot of accessories won't fit. It's really sickening.

6. jdusoccer12 macrumors regular

I love the long extension cable but if you are cheap like me you can get that off eBay for cheap. I bought a bunch for like $5 a piece and have them scattered all over my house. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...564234&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_1137wt_689

7. pvmacguy macrumors 65816

pvmacguy

Just go on eBay and buy the 6' extension cable to any MacBook or iPad charger. I snagged mine from my MacBook air since I use just the flip out prongs, those charger attachments are universal across product line.

8. dadoftwogirls thread starter macrumors 6502

dadoftwogirls

Yeah, for an extra $30! Plus it is big and bulky in my opinion as I have it and it sucks for traveling.

9. jddar macrumors regular

jddar

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

The cable for my iPhone is inconveniently way too short also. I'll likely look into getting the longer cable for my iPad (if it's ever delivered.)

10. Pballer110 macrumors 6502

11. dadoftwogirls thread starter macrumors 6502

dadoftwogirls

Great idea and links. But like Blorzoga points out, I was already a sucker for the authentic $30 Apple version with my first iPad. :eek: I just think you should be able to get a nice long USB version without all this extra hassle or cost.

12. mmulin macrumors 6502

Well, you could argue about the Apple saving a few dimes.

Personally, I am annoyed by long cables, especially having to carry them around. They defeat the whole purpose of being mobile. I like to fit it comfortably in my pants' pockets if necessary and be able charge my iDevice anywhere on the go.
    If one needs a longer cable, just extend.

13. dadoftwogirls thread starter macrumors 6502

dadoftwogirls

So another 6" to 12" of the thin USB cable would suddenly make the cord un-mobile" ?

Nice link. Might run to Comp USA and look around tomorrow as well.

14. mmulin macrumors 6502

For my pants' pockets it does make a huge difference - try it ;)

If you have a bag with you, certainly not; although, even then it gets a mess if you have more than one longer cable in it.

Again, this is my personal view defending short cables and not Apple.

15. dadoftwogirls thread starter macrumors 6502

dadoftwogirls

Don't wear skinny jeans then! :D Miller Lite commercial. :p. I understand and respect your view, I was just curious.

16. BobbieM629 macrumors regular

17. fishmoose macrumors 68000

I recently bought a USB extension cord to use when charging iOS devices, they are cheap and you really don't know how much you need one before you have one.

18. master-ceo macrumors 65816

master-ceo

I got the official apple extension and haven't had to use it so far. Works with my MacBook pro and iPad so i'm cool.