Irritating to have to wait 13 months!!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jimbo1mcm, Aug 11, 2016.

1. jimbo1mcm macrumors 68000

I am sure that the Iphone that will be released after this one's in September will be drop dead gorgeous with a ton of new features and a modern design. What has taken Apple so long to get it going? When you look around the phone world, you can spot bezel minimum phones with great battery life, super resolution, OIS, wireless charging, expandable storage and other features. Could it be that Jonny Ive has been given too much leeway in designing? Sure, we like thin phones, but we also like better battery life and the other features. The Galaxy S7 is a killer phone, so is the HTC 10. The Nexus phones will be great also. I will come back to Apple when they give me a great phone again. Wouldn't it be great if they ramped up their production and released the 2017 phone a lot earlier than Sept 2017?

2. I_am_a_loser macrumors regular

Since I'm not due to upgrade till October 2017 I'd prefer they just wait till then.

3. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

2017 will be a huge update from design to screen quality among other features. This years iPhone will still be a good upgrade for many users.

If they bring out a space black model I think it will sell like crazy.

4. lchlch macrumors 6502a

You get to spend the money on stuff like beer and pizza. Is that a bad thing?

5. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Apple has a schedule. And the competition does not affect that schedule.

You are wanting Apple to "catch up" to what you see as today's specs/features because Android phones already have them. You are not considering Apple's primary customer.

Other than the people on this forum and on similar forums Apple's primary customer is the kind of person that pays no attention to specs. They have no idea how their phone operates and they don't care.

The closest to any of this you will get is "I want a better camera, I want my apps not to crash, I want to be able to use ApplePay, etc." I have a coworker who didn't know she only had a 16GB iPhone until last year. She kept buying the 'cheaper version' and assuming it was enough.

In short, other than us - no one cares.

BTW, I had to wait an entire six months too before Apple introduced the iPhone 5. I could have upgraded to the 4s when released, but I hated that phone.

6. jimbo1mcm thread starter macrumors 68000

There are certainly a number of customers who don't understand or care what is inside the phone, however Apple sales are down significantly in India and China, and probably other places. People are starting to "get it" that there are other choices and that they are pretty good.

7. Sunny1990 Suspended

Sunny1990

This year's iPhone doesn't seems to bring something innovative in the lineup,same old two years design,old low resolution screen on the 4.7 model,no wireless charging,and audio jack removed which millions of people use every day:mad:,all my hopes are on the anniversary iPhone if it comes with a all new glass design with amoled screen

8. Chew Toy McCoy macrumors regular

Chew Toy McCoy

The vast majority of people getting worked up about this don’t need a new iPhone anyway. Every year people question if they should upgrade but the loudest voices this year are basically saying, if they are going to be honest, “The 2017 iPhone is expected to look dramatically different and that is all I care about now.” It should come down to user experience and it’s sad that, that is getting moved to the bottom of the priority list for some people.

Some are suggesting Apple is removing the headphone jack this year so it won’t be such a negative on next year’s iPhone. Get all the whining out of the way and accept the future.

9. HarryWild macrumors 6502a

HarryWild

Apple feels that it can stretch out the current model to another year just like a car model changes every 4-10 year or even longer in the case of the Mercedes G Class still going strong since 1970s!

Will Apple add back space black? That the number one criteria for me to buy or not! LOL!

10. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

Millions don't care about specs. Even sports stars

If they add space black with waterproof and amazing camera? Most will be happy with that I imagine.

11. Sunny1990 Suspended

Sunny1990

Most of the people may not care about the specs but they do care about the design and the same two years old design of the iPhone 7 my not attract the majority using iPhone 6 or 6s

12. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

Yeah maybe not, guess it depends what matters most to those users. For me camera and having a waterproof phone would be nice features to have but it depends what else it comes with

13. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

I do wonder how much of those "lost" sales was due to people opting for $700+ flagship Android models and how much was due to people buying more affordable budget to mid-range devices.

Mind, I don't know about "Space Black" but a Slate Black finish ala-iPhone 5 would sure be nice.

14. aneftp macrumors 601

Looks like Apple is going with the every 3 year form model for their iPhone.

The MacBook Air has essentially kept the same design since 2010.

Luxury manufacturers do this all the time. Audi was ridiculous keeping their q7 the same body style for 10 years.

15. joeblow7777 macrumors 601

I think that Apple's sales are down in those markets because there are more and more cheaper alternatives coming out all the time. Apple could release the greatest piece of technology that humankind has ever seen and as long as they maintain their premium prices they won't move many of them in markets where most people can't afford an iPhone. Apple targets the high end market.

16. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Which is why Apple ties the customer in to their ecosystem.

The same coworker I mentioned earlier has iPads as well as iPhones. She uses iMessage heavily and has Apple ID's tied both to iTunes and the App store.

She would not be inclined to swap to "other choices" if there was only a limited way to bring her content and data over.

Apple is in no danger of losing her and others like her as a customer, if she even notices the kinds of minute changes we all carry on about. Her phone does what she wants it to do and to her that is all that matters.

17. Q-Dog macrumors 6502

Q-Dog

We had to wait longer than that for a new 4" Apple phone. ;)

18. bhayes444 macrumors 6502a

I don't know if it is people "getting it" or people seeing that Apple doesn't want to compete in the mid-range price market? India and China are huge markets for smartphones because of the mid-range devices floating around. Also, it seems a lot of consumers in those countries do focus on specs. There was an article yesterday about Samsung releasing a special version of the Note 7 just for China that had 128GB of storage and 6GB of RAM. Why? Because there are so many phones that are cheaper than the Note 7 that have those specs and Samsung is afraid they won't be able to persuade people to buy those devices. It doesn't mean the cheaper phones are better, just that consumers buy the ones that look better. Sure, the iPhone SE is a good mid-ranged priced phone, but for that price there are much more tantalizing options on the Chinese and Indian smartphone market.

19. Retired Cat macrumors 65816

If people want something dramatically new and shiny, why don't they just get the Galaxy S7 for a year and then move back to iPhone in 2017?

20. RedOrchestra Suspended

WHAT ... the evil empire ... heresy.

21. jimbo1mcm thread starter macrumors 68000

Even if I had an Iphone, I still use Google Maps, Google Mail, Google calendar and Google Search. I use Textra messaging app which I like. Imessage is fine, but no better than Textra. So the platform these apps are on need to be physically pleasing, great resolution, good sound and great battery life, with expandable storage. Thus my HTC 10 and Galaxy S7 Edge.

22. joeblow7777 macrumors 601

Well, for one, not everyone wants to (or can afford to) shell out the money for a new flagship phone every year. So buying a Samsung phone could mean committing to it for 2 or even 3 years.

I think that's why a lot of people are on the fence this year. Buying a new phone this year, whether it's the iPhone 7 or a competitor, means probably not being able to buy another new phone in 2017 for a lot of people. Even though I can afford to upgrade every year it just feels wasteful to me personally. So if I get a new phone this year next year's phone will have to be something out of this world for me to feel justified in buying another phone so soon.

23. Retired Cat macrumors 65816

Then I think the best course of action for people who are satisfied with their phones' performance is to wait the 13 months. Otherwise people are just buying new for the sake of newness, regardless of whether the new phone actually works better for them.

The 6s/Plus and SE have incredible computing power and 2GB of RAM. IMO there's not much reason to upgrade until phone performance becomes irritating, such as with 1GB RAM on the 6 Plus.

To each their own though. I've stayed with iPhone 5 through every subsequent product launch.

24. RedOrchestra Suspended

Geez, I was just thinking ... IF Apple doesn't release an over-the-moon, out-of-the-park iPhone in 2017 - MR will probably have to go to moderating comments before they get posted on the forum threads.

25. AppleFan91 macrumors 65816

AppleFan91

Hell, for all we know, since it's the anniversary edition, they could announce it the same date Steve announced the OG iPhone and release it the same day the OG iPhone went on sale. (They won't, but still)