iPad Is 128GB Too Much???

Discussion in 'iPad' started by damonbus, Oct 23, 2013.

1. damonbus macrumors member

damonbus

I'm debating between the 64GB and 128GB, is the 128GB just overkill?

2. sonicrobby macrumors 68020

sonicrobby

Depends on your uses. If you will keep a lot of movies or videos on it, then no it is not overkill. If you are just doing web browsing and such, then yes it is overkill.

3. jps1012 macrumors 6502a

jps1012

I would get it if I could afford it. Imsticking with 64gb but have to move stuff around to put movies on.

4. MasterDebator82 macrumors newbie

Not at all. I'm getting a 128GB of the mini and the Air when they are available.

5. Ahonen macrumors 6502

Ahonen

It's not enough. I was hoping for 256GB, but I will take 128.

6. mrxak macrumors 68000

Drifting through space in a broken escape pod
    With all the stuff in the cloud these days, pulled down to your device whenever you want it, rather than needing to go to your computer to sync again, 128GB may be more than you need (I'd hesitate to call anything "too much"), if you've got wifi wherever you are. In a couple years, though, with a lot of apps taking advantage of the graphics power and so on, who knows? If you don't have a million apps, and you don't watch that much video content, 64 GB may be enough for the life of the device, but you really have to figure that out for yourself.

7. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Using iCloud away from wifi can consume a significant amount of data. The extra cost for 128GB, amortized over 2 years, for example, is less per month than bumping up to the next tier data plan.

So nope.

8. jetjaguar macrumors 68030

jetjaguar

yea since I don't have unlimited data .. i might get a 128gb and just fill it in shows and movies

9. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

This. Where's my 1TB option?

10. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Man that would be nice, but pricey. I would setting for 512GB.

11. macduke macrumors 604

macduke

It's ridiculous that Apple still hasn't unveiled a 1024GB iPad Mini Pro Ultra Retina with 5G LTE-A. :D

Seriously though OP, if you have to think about it, get the 128GB. Only thing keeping me at 64GB is if it only has 1GB of ram. I'll probably need to upgrade sooner then. If you need it to last you for a few years then 128GB will probably be the best bet. Also if you're planning on using your iPad to load photos or something like that. I'm wanting a bigger iPad to load photos in the field into the new Lightroom for iPad app that Adobe is working on. So I'm wanting to keep at least 30-50GB free most of the time.

12. Scarpad macrumors 68000

Scarpad

Think this will be the first one I get that is 16gb, mainly using it for comics and mags that I import from drop box don't need a huge amount of space, won't be playing music or bids much and when I do I usually stream thru plex

13. princebig7 macrumors member

Lmao why would you get both? That is complete overkill!

14. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

As others have said, it depends. For example: If you plan on using it as a djaying rig, then 128GB is probably a necessity.

When I was looking to buy an iPad4 6 months ago, I was debating between the 64GB and 128GB models. I ultimately settled for the 64GB primarily because of the cumulative effect of the price increases from one capacity to the next.

It's all fun and games until an iPad costs $800. :)

If the iPad was more capable of doing serious work, I would have no problem justifying the extra $100. But there's a point of diminishing returns. I've owned a 32GB iPad1 and 32GB iPad2 and they were fine but I could see myself needing more space if I were to keep an iPad more than 2 years.

15. FrankB1191 macrumors 6502a

I bought a 128GB ipad 4, because I wanted a lot of music on it, as well as movies. I have a lot of movies on my 64GB Mini, but a retina display looks better with HD movies. I have a 2009 Star Trek video on my Mini that's less than 1GB, but have the same movie in 4GB on my iPad 4. While the larger file doesn't look much better at all on the Mini, the smaller file is clearly not as good with retina. If price isn't a problem and you like movies, get all the storage you can. ;)

16. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

not much in term of storage if you really need it, the issue comes down to money

17. Centris 650 macrumors 6502a

Centris 650

When I bought my Centris 650 eons ago I thought the 80MB HD would last forever! Before I sold it I was running everything off a Zip drive.

All that being said, you will run out of storage one day. Not everything is cloud based. As others have stated, buy what you can afford.

18. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

19. Macalway macrumors 68020

I'm a the same stage with my 64gb as I was with my first 16gb

That is: deleting stuff constantly (that I don't want to) to make room

Not a pleasant way to function.

Point is: No

20. jweinraub macrumors 6502

jweinraub

I got 64 on my iphone now and used up 62 or so, so I would love to have a 128 option. I just wish they got them with 802.11ac. Why no ac? I couldn't care less about the finger print sensor, but no ac, come on!

21. MasterDebator82 macrumors newbie

LMAO, not for me it isn't!

22. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

Depending upon the usage it's honestly not alot at all. If I didn't have Dropbox I would have to have at least a 32GB, but since I do I only vouch for the 16GB.

23. TroyBoy30 macrumors 68000

TroyBoy30

24. M87 macrumors 65816

I've been considering this. 16GB is definitely too little, I've learned that the hard way over the last year. 32GB is pretty comfy on the iPhone for me because I don't play games on it and I wipe the camera roll when it starts getting insane, but that isn't how I use an iPad. 64GB is probably the reasonable amount for an iPad. Enough to be comfortable, but not so much that you let it get out of hand accumulating a bunch of junk you never actually use. 128GB seems like the way to go if you're using it as a laptop replacement.

25. mingoglia macrumors 6502

I tend to be a space hog on my computers, but I typically don't have an issue filling up my ipad/iphone even though I use my ipad as my primary machine (with a logitech keyboard). The reason is I don't have a lot of music/videos on it. With an iOS device your primary space is usually music/video. Calculate how much of this stuff you'll need to store fulltime on it, and you'll have your answer. For me, a 32GB model is fine, but I only have a couple gig of music and no video. Previously I had a 64 gig model and only bought the 32gig this past device due to how "I" use the device. It's all about you man. :)