Is 14 too young?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Tragedies, May 7, 2008.

1. Tragedies macrumors 6502

Hey all, just a general question.

I'm fourteen years of age, take care of all my gadgets, neatly and organized and such, go to school like a normal guy and such, and was wondering, I want to get the iPhone badly, but am I too young? Should I save up my money? I currently have a 2nd Gen 2GB iPod Nano (need more space) and an everyday average calls-but-nothing-else phone.

Hope for honest opinions and help.

Thanks,

Mikey.

2. sparkyms macrumors 65816

First of all, I'd at least hold out for a while for the 3G phone, as you have a good 3g network in Australia, and it might be worth seeing what Vodafone is going to offer by way of tariffs as it's headed your way pretty soon.

Secondly, if you want one, you and you have the money for one, I'd say why not? It's your money and you probably had to do chores and what-not to earn it so why shouldn' you spend it on something that you like.

Although, I would say have a good think about it before you buy it, just to be sure its what you want.

3. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

What is your real motivation to buy the phone? Is to have a really good phone? Or is it to show it off a little.

Either way, I'd probably be concerned about your safety. iPod's are fairly standard issue among people your age and above so there isn't much envy heading in your direction for owning a Nano. Getting an iPhone, will definitely draw some attention. It also depends on your where you go to school.

I'd say hold off the iPhone at least until you're a little older, unless you're part of a very well-heeled family.

4. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

5. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

Australia, Melbourne, AEST = 8pm at the time of writing :D

Or is that a little jealousy I'm smelling?

6. yoyo5280 macrumors 68000

yoyo5280

Im 14 aswell, not that organized, get good grades, and care for most of my gadgets but they all have wear and tear.

I would die for iPhone but there are some thingys that im afraid of)

1) Dropping it. Its pretty durable (my dad has the US one) but if I drop it and it gets dinged, ill get pis...peeved. Dad will be more.

2) Losing it or it getting stolen.My phone has been stolen before at school. Some joker I still have not found used it to call and text people and when I cut it off, left in a bathroom. ^swear^. If this happened to my iPhone I would do more then just threaten people to give it back, id break hell.

3)MuggedYea, I know. I am in Japan. Who would mug me in Japan like the safest place on earth? I don't know but I really don't want to pull out an iphone in some lil shady arcade in 渋谷where the staff are hardly present

I really don't know what to do...

Hope however my worries will you help you, OP.

7. Tragedies thread starter macrumors 6502

To the first few posters, yes I'm aware of the current 3G status of the iPhone.

Im mainly interested because I want a new phone, and as my song library contineus to expand, it wont be long before my iPod will be completely full. I just figured, since I need a new ipod, and I want a new phone, it would be the best option.

Isn't the most common thing for phone's to drop prices dramaticly over time? I know a few people who bought phones only a few months old, with the RRP being around one thousand dollars, and them purchasing it for around three hundred.

If the price goes down, that would be better for me. As for the school thing, I don't actually my phone to school, as I never need it. Its more when Im shopping/out with friends/doing other random stuff.

What I'm pretty much trying to say, without dragging on even more, is that I need a larger capacity iPod, I don't need a new phone at the moment (but I do want one, heh) and I wont spend more than 500 dollars at all.

I NEED HELP.

8. yoyo5280 macrumors 68000

yoyo5280

I want one for the exact same reasons. I have an iPod nano 1G onegigibyte and Im outgrowing in fast. Also my phone is shniz.

If you think that you can keep it in good condition and not get it lost or stolen GO FOR IT!

Me, i ain't to sure I should.:(

9. BongoBanger macrumors 68000

BongoBanger

No reason why not. Just be aware that you may have to take quite a heavy monthly subscription into account as well.

10. laxmax613 macrumors member

i am fourteen as well and i would like an iPhone. If there is a 32GB one in june it's going to be way, way ,way out of my price range so i bought a classic and still have my regular phone. this is probably the way to go for you, because while the iPhone is pretty, you could wait until they go down in price a little (probably in mid-fall for christmas rush).

11. lofight macrumors 68000

lofight

You should know if you think it's worth it. I would wait untill the 3G unless you really can't wait, or don't need 3G, maybe GPS,... Maybe a discount... You could also buy a new ipod and a cheap gsm.

12. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

If the phone is at the top end of your price range, how would you pay for the SERVICE? It's the $60+ per month that keeps me from buying an iPhone, not the $399 sales price. The price of the phone is exceeded by the service in six months! Or do your parents cover that?

My worry with my kids and something like an iPhone isn't so much the safety issue, but the non-stop 24-hour distraction issue. If you can surf the web 24 hours a day no matter where you are, when are you going to get homework done?

13. mrat93 macrumors 65816

mrat93

I've had mine since I was 14, and no problems.. I'm not even that responsible.

14. zmit macrumors regular

i just got mine (located in darwin, Australia, if you melbournites even know where that is :p)

it cost me $550 imported brand new.

you COULD find one for under $500 - i know of one going on another forum for $350! (8gb)

if you dont take it to school, then thats the BIG lean towards a yes.
    seriously. if you take it to school.... you WILL get a lot of attention.

i take mine to uni and i get enough attention as it is. (how many iphones do you think are actually in darwin?)

and guys. it isnt out in Australia (as i hope most of you know)
    EVERYONE under 18 have prepaid (pay-as-you-go) accounts over here.

i am 19 and i STILL have prepaid. its the only way to go.

basically, forget the EDGE data packs and stuff, just use wifi if you get it, that will save you a lot of money.

you will go through a bit in the first month (showing it off/trying it off/playing with it) but then it will settle again.

but ultimately, the 3G release is going to be HUGE even if you dont want 3G or any of the other surprises in store, the 1st gen iphones will drop in price by a fair bit...

hope it didnt confuse you too much :p

15. MattZani macrumors 68030

MattZani

well im 15 and have a 16Gb iTouch, and im getting a MBP.

I dont think age matters, aslong as you are mature, and not stupid, then why not? You've earned the money, its yours to spend!

16. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I think the cost of typical iPhone plans is the bigger issue... Here in the US, you can get by reasonably well on $35 or so a month with PAYG. The iPhone AT&T plans are going to be at least $59.99 + charges (which means at least $70/mo, and the lowest plan really isn't that great). At the difference between $35/mo and 70/mo, that's a difference of $420 per year -- more than the iPhone costs to begin with here.

As far as I understand, this issue exists comparably in all the other markets, too. The iPhone is pricey, yes, although really not that much more than other music players you might get as a young person. But I think the cost of the data plans is a big deal to consider, also....

17. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

You caught me! He/She should get whatever he/she wants! Spoil 'em all, I always say. :eek::cool:

18. joeshell383 macrumors 6502a

Honest opinion: If you can get through the contract stuff, go for it!

(Don't let people tell you you're too young for this or that. There are very mature, successful 14 year-olds and immature 50 year-olds)

19. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

Age is all relative...it just depends how responsible you are with your stuff (assuming you have the $400 and at least $70 a month to pay for it...which is big).

If you can afford the phone and the monthly payments I say go for it. But i don't know how many 14 year olds have that much money :)

20. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

Can you please describe what a "successful" 14 year old is? :D

21. punitnaker macrumors regular

ok this may sound harsh, but in my personal opinion, you're too young.

Im from England so i'm roughly going to calculate into aussie dollars. The phone costs $550 roughly and the cheapest contract is $70. I dunno what sort of packages are going to be available in australia, but the prices will be there or there abouts.

Thats a lot of money to be forking out in the first place for a phone, and then where does a 14 year old get that kinda cash for the phone bill? I was 14 10 years ago and committing to something like is tough, esp if your main motive is just to have increased capacity for you music and not really the phone.

In my opinion, the iphone is nothing without its data package, so even pre-paid is out of the questions. You're better off getting a iPod Touch and wait it out for a few years.

But i feel for you, I love my gadgets but at times, that coulds your judgement cos you just want it.

If, like you have suggested, your only need is for extra capacity, bump it up to an 3rdGen 8GB nano for a couple years, or if you're really after the interface go for the iPod Touch.

how does a £15 year old earn £1500 for a MBP :eek: thats a lot of paper rounds/mowed lawns!!

22. BongoBanger macrumors 68000

BongoBanger

23. joeshell383 macrumors 6502a

Believe it or not, but some parents have enough money to pay their child's cell phone bill.

24. joeshell383 macrumors 6502a

Hence, the "be cool and stay in school". The post was more a commentary on maturity---and a confidence booster, rather than the income potential of an average teenager.