Is 2.66 20" imac for $850 a good deal?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by xheathen, Oct 10, 2010.

1. xheathen macrumors 6502

Hi everyone, just curious - a friend of mine has a friend (how every good story starts, right?) who is looking to upgrade his imac and he wants to sell his current one. It's a 20" 2.66 c2d that has 4gigs of ram and he will throw in the wireless keyboard + mouse. Does that sound like a half decent deal? Or would you recommend ponying up an additional $300 for a new 3.06 imac?

Hopefully someone with a better eye for macs can recommend if it's good or not :)

* Edit - BTW it would be for my wife that doesn't really do much to tax the system - just basic programs, photos, facebook, etc. So having a powerhouse isn't all that needed.

2. TheralSadurns macrumors 6502

Hi...

I think it is way too much. Considering how old this machine is. Additionally it is out of warranty so it can (technically) break every day. At $650 one might consider it... but this way...

If you want to go cheap consider Apple's refurbished store. While these are sometimes used, sometimes with used parts, they seldom look/work like it. Plus you get the full 1 year warranty coverage... with the option to buy Apple Care.

3. xheathen thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the reply! I think that's very sound advice.

I actually just saw a post about refurb.me and I'm seeing that I can get the 2.66 refurb for $729 (when it's ever available). Doesn't come with the wireless mouse and keyboard, but it does give me that warranty, or I can get the 21.5" for not much more.

4. Hastings101 macrumors 68010

Hastings101

I'd just get the new basic 21.5", it's more powerful in every way, and although your wife might not do anything that will tax the system, it will last her much longer than the 20" because of all the extra power.

5. mr0c macrumors regular

mr0c

6. mike457 macrumors 6502

Checking completed deals on eBay, the going range seems to be $600 (2GB of RAM) to $840., with three completing at the $840 level in recent weeks. These people would then be losing fees for eBay and Paypal, so they're probably looking at realizing about $800. If I were selling it (and I've sold a lot of stuff, both on eBay and to friends/colleagues), I'd probably ask no more than $750. I always like everybody to feel they're getting a bargain.:)

7. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Considering the machine is 3 years old ... no.