Is 2011 better than 1973?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Blue Velvet, Feb 28, 2011.

1. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

If you could be (permanently) transported back to 1973 with your current income, would you take the deal?

Saw this thought from Kevin Drum kicking around some time ago and thought it could make a thread. He puts it like this:

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Would I get to keep all the knowledge I have now? Anyway, sure it sounds pretty fun!

3. Jhingha macrumors regular

Jhingha

4. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Yeah, but think of all the awesome live music you could go see!

5. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

I'd take 1966-7 just for the music scene. I think I could just afford to live in sixties London on my current wage. ;)

6. Jhingha macrumors regular

Jhingha

And if I want to listen it again, I should carry about a truck full of LP's right?

7. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

The question is – have we died, are we mad, are we in a coma or have we really travelled back to 1973?

8. Blue Velvet thread starter Moderator emeritus

No music on the go, except 8-tracks in cars, in the US at least. But you'd be five times as rich as you are now. Imagine what you could afford:

[​IMG]

9. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

I've found a slight flaw with my plan to go back to 1966. If I was my age now when I went back I'd be 92 in 2011.

That's almost as old as iJohnHenry. :eek:

10. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

Where do I sign up? $.12 gas, politically incorrect TV, women going braless, bone crushing football (no Brady rule:p QB's are footballers too). In a few years I'll be able to buy several millions worth (in 2011) of Apple stock for the price of an 8-track tape system. I'll have to deal with those bell-bottoms, kite-sized ties and hang glider sized collars, but it's a small price to pay.;)

11. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Buying Microsoft and Apple stock? Oh yes.

But really? I think the inability to travel via plane easily would be the deal-killer for me. I'd be alright with piles of money off of investments but no tech if I could just fly to different places and travel all the time.

12. MacVixen macrumors 6502

Not quite true actually. My mom has told me before that back in the 60's my dad actually had a turntable installed in his car :eek: I have no idea how such an invention would work - I'm thinking the needle would have been constantly jumping all over the place, but it was possible to play a 45 in your vehicle back in the day...

13. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Would telling you to piss-off be allowed? Let's see. :p

Go back further and I might agree. I was in my 20's, and a working stiff, when Woodstock happened.

You kids may focus on the monetary aspect of this 'transition', but I would like to have been there, in hindsight. :(

Damn kids, you lack imagination.

How about Sinatra playing on the turntable, while parked on your particular "Mulholland Drive"?

14. Blue Velvet, Feb 28, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2011

Blue Velvet thread starter Moderator emeritus

Not sure what you mean by easily. The 747 had been flying for 3-4 years or so. DC-10 was also around, think I flew on a DC-8 as a kid. Flights were more expensive and tickets weren't as easy to book, but you'd be five times as wealthy as you are now so that wouldn't be a problem.

Here's a thread about flying in '73.

Maybe something like this?

[​IMG]

Regardless of how wealthy you were, think most white, straight men would probably have an easier time in 1973 than perhaps others.

15. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

The 70s and 80s were great the first go round. I'd do it in a heartbeat. :D

16. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

There would be no complaints from me. :D

17. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

18. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

19. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Do I get to watch myself be conceived sometime at the end of 1979? *shakes head*

20. MacVixen macrumors 6502

doh! You are right! I didn't even think of the parking aspects :D
    I was just picturing this needle jumping all over the place as the car hits a railroad track, etc.

21. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

That's what I'm thinking. Would I cease to exist?

22. MacVixen macrumors 6502

It was probably just like that. I think I love that thing! I have so many 45s and LPs gathering dust in my closet right now. Let's see... listen to my 45 of Hungry Like the Wolf in my car? Sign.Me.Up! (yeah, yeah, I have the CDs and digital versions that work perfectly fine, but there is something about the hissing and scratching of an album needle that brings back all kinds of fond memories) :D

23. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

Hell no, it has nothing to do with technology either. My music taste starts in the late 80s and social attitudes toward my rather unconventional lifestyle would be an issue. 1990? Perhaps, though I like the time I live in, a lot.

24. Happybunny macrumors 68000

I was born in 1948, but would not change it for anything. Life today is by far better than it ever was back in 1973.

25. macquariumguy macrumors 6502a

I wouldn't mind re-living the 70s, knowing what I know now and earning what I earn now. :)