Is 2g of RAM enough of Macbook?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by trc5784, Jul 19, 2010.

1. trc5784 macrumors newbie

I've decided to buy a Macbook instead of a macbook pro 13 because the specs are pretty much the same except for the RAM. Is 2g of RAM enough? I'll be using it for typing papers, browing the internet, itunes, and maybe a tiny tiny bit of video editing, nothing heavy. I dont plan on gaming except for maybe the sims 2.

2. TheShinyMac macrumors 6502a

TheShinyMac

3. trc5784 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you, it'll be my first mac so im pretty excited after like 10 years of PCs

4. Synchromesh macrumors 6502a

Synchromesh

You should be just fine. Of course if you feel it's inadequate after a while you can always up the RAM to 4GB. It's a relatively simple procedure and 3rd party RAM is usually much cheaper than an Apple upgrade anyway.

5. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

And with the Christmas holiday around the corner, some cheap deals on notebook RAM may show.

Currently not too much on deep discout with the Christmas in July sales.

6. Synchromesh macrumors 6502a

Synchromesh

There is always Craigslist or eBay. Used RAM is just as good as new RAM. In fact, I generally prefer to buy mine used.

7. macgeek18 macrumors 68000

macgeek18

It's plenty,I have a "Late 09" MacBook with 2GB of ram and I do everything you do and heavy video editing.

8. Vantage Point macrumors 65816

For what you need you will be fine and likely never notice any difference. In a year from now you may be able to update it to 4Gb for about $50.

9. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

You should be fine for what you're saying.

I was in the same situation as you (until two days ago) and I decided to just go with the Pro. In my opinion, I think the backlight keyboard makes up for the additional costs (I love it so much) but you are also getting more things like aluminum case, more RAM, a better screen and a firewire port (Maybe you won't use the firewire just like me) but I think it's worth it, if you can spend a bit more.

Plus, I've heard about the bottom of the Macbooks getting messed up (the rubber was coming off) and I really don't want to go to my Apple Store every couple of months to get that fixed.

I hope you enjoy your Mac. This was my first Mac as well.

10. GadgetAddict macrumors 6502

I had a Macbook Air for almost a year and it ran fine with 2Gb RAM. As long as you only use OSX and don't install Windows on it you shouldn't have any problems.

11. Vantage Point macrumors 65816

I actually bought a 2009 MB several months ago and sold it for a 13" 2010 MBP for the above reasons. In my case I got a great deal on both, $799 for the MB and $999 for the MBP at Microcenter.com So I lost little when I sold my MB and bought a MBP. It was the backlit keys that I really missed. The MB itself was very fast and no noticeable performance difference outside of doing certain Photoshop tasks - email, iworks, booting up...all seem about identical

12. scotty33 macrumors newbie

You should be fine with 2 gb. I have a late '06 MacBook with 2gb and haven't needed any more RAM.