Is $30/mo data plan too high?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by coolwater, Jun 9, 2009.

1. coolwater macrumors 6502a

coolwater

I am about to switch to AT&T from Verizon for iPhone. I have not used any 'data plan' with Verizon either. But, I hear people complain about AT&T's $30/mo data plan being too high.

If it's too high, how much do you think it should be? Please be reasonable and be realistic.

2. compg318 macrumors regular

I don't see how anyone's input of what the data plan 'should be' can have any matter at all. AT&T sets the price and we chose what to pay.

The $30/mo while seems a lot, is pretty standard with many other devices on most of the major networks.

3. rfrankl macrumors 6502

It used to be $20/month on the original iPhone. It would be nice if they did offer a lower rate plan for people who don't need unlimited data.

4. coolwater thread starter macrumors 6502a

coolwater

That would be nice.

5. Revelation78 macrumors 68000

Revelation78

Read below...

Apple worked out the pricing on the original. When the 3G was launched AT&T brought the cost of the data plan in line with its other smart phones. There was a report that AT&T was looking at reducing the cost of the data plan; we'll have to wait and see.

IF AT&T were smart they would drop the price of the data to $20 per month and have a second tier at $40 per month that includes tethering. The current tether add-on is $30 per month. This would result in a much higher adoption rate - as all iPhone users are used to paying $30 per month, what's another $10 to have official tether support.

AT&T would rake in the money; unfortunately I see AT&T charging up the backside for tethering. I along with most people who want to tether will use a well known hack that will let me tether for free and AT&T will not be any wiser nor able to stop me.

6. mgamber macrumors 6502a

mgamber

$30 a month would be fine if it was real unlimited data. What they really offer is worth $15 a month, tops.

7. robothero macrumors 6502

robothero

Verizon would be charging $30 a month as well. That's the standard price for smartphone data packages.

Is it worth it? No, but neither is paying for 450 minutes when I only use half of them.

8. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

$30 is across every carrier whether that is Verizon (crap), AT&T or T-Mobile. At least give thanks you don't have to pay $45 that business customers pay.

9. 7on macrumors 601

7on

T-Mobile offers $25 unlimited date with 400 SMS/MMS
    $35 for unlimited data with unlimited SMS/MMS

AT&T needs something similar.

10. robothero macrumors 6502

robothero

I agree, AT&T charges way too much for texting plans.

11. atari1356 macrumors 68000

atari1356

$30 a month is one of the reasons I'm still sticking with my 1st gen iPhone (since it's only $20 a month).

I'd like to buy my wife an iPhone, but then we'd be up to $50 a month in data plans that we would barely use. She doesn't want an iPhone badly enough for that to happen either.

12. doubleatheman macrumors 6502a

doubleatheman

Considering the first iphone was $20 WITH texting included (only 200) but I only use about 50 texts a month.

oh also additional texts were only $0.05 on the included plan, now all additonal texts are $0.10 on the $5 texting plan.

13. doubleatheman macrumors 6502a

doubleatheman

sounds like the ipod touch?

No im not trying to be mean, My folks wanted ipohones but i suggested the touch to them, they went for it, with the wi-fi hot spots we get (we pay for att home internet, so its included)

And wi-fi is pretty much anywhere nowdays.

yea all of the features of the new phone, hopefully they update the ipod touch this winter.

14. lokey macrumors regular

lokey

The $30 for Unlimited Data isn't the problem in my opinion, it's the $20 for unlimited text messages. AT&T just may be the only company left charging for text messages as if they are different than data. Their pricing structure for text messages is so out dated and the only reason it has not changed is because they make such a killing on it.

15. Motionblurrr macrumors 6502

Yep! THIS RIGHT HERE FOLKS

$20 for unlimited text is ridiculous but you can't blame AT&T because they are making BANK off of it

Texting is the new talking

16. Revelation78 macrumors 68000

Revelation78

Verizon does the same thing.

17. Razeus macrumors 601

If $30 is too much for you, then the iphone is not for you.

Next.

18. atari1356 macrumors 68000

atari1356

Except the iPod Touch is not a phone. She needs a phone more than she needs an internet device.

19. coolwater thread starter macrumors 6502a

coolwater

Congratulations! You are just selected as AT&T's best customer!

As consumer, we always have a right to question and ask if there can be a way to improve the service including lowering the price.

20. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

AFAIK, ATT only caters to their shareholders. Your voice is with your wallet, but no one will get anywhere by giving Bad Ol' ATT your cash, then saying "you know I really wish it was different :(". There is no incentive to change. You've already forked over the goods.

Additionally, "As consumer [ sic] ", you have the right to move to different service providers assuming you are out of contract. Agreements only work as long as both parties are happy, and if you aren't satisfied then you are not obligated to sign on the dotted line.

Just saying. If it were up to me, Apple would make cars (oddly shaped like BMW's) but they won't cater solely to my needs.

21. lokey macrumors regular

lokey

Didn't realize Verizon did the same. Are AT&T and Verizon alone in this? My quick research of T-Mobile and Sprint don't show they charge additional fess for text messaging. Can anyone confirm?

I think the text message fee is the real crime, not the $30 data plan.

22. robothero macrumors 6502

robothero

Congratulations! As a consumer, you have a right to do whatever you want. The company is not obligated to change anything for you.

23. yakkonvazn macrumors member

I read somewhere that it costs next to nothing for At&t to provide texting.

24. FearNo1 macrumors 6502a

If you jailbreak the iphone then then the data plan is worth it. That way you can tether the iphone to ur laptop, use skype and slingbox over 3g.

25. iOrlando macrumors 68000

thats quite a stretch to say that its anywhere. Technically..yes it is simply because alot of people have them at home and it can extend into the street, etc.....but would you be able to access these wi-fi hotspots for free? probably not. Free wi-fi at an airport? nope...