Is 3G faster than wifi?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by newyorksole, Apr 16, 2008.

1. newyorksole macrumors 68030

The only way to access the itunes store on the iPhone is with wifi, do you guys THINK that with the 3G iPhone as long as we are connected to 3G that we can download apps, music and be able to watch you tube videos in a much better quality?

The only reason why I don't use youtube is because the quality is poor. Weather and maps loading is also sluggish.

2. philgilder macrumors 68000

3G is obviously faster than EDGE, but generally not as fast as wifi

3. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Depends on the 3G reception and WiFi speed and reception.

3G is around 300kbps, a smidgen off 512kbps. Which I think is classified as the lowest of broadband speeds (or was it 256kbps?).
    My iPod Touch gets 300kbps on our 2mbps wifi connection whereas the same test on my PC says 1.8mbps. *shrugs*

4. bredell macrumors regular

It depends on which flavour of 3G data we're talking about. Basic 3G is around 384 kbps but most implementations use 3.6 or 7.2 Mbps, with 14.4 Mbps starting to get implemented. Most 3G phones can use speeds up to 7.2 Mbps.

5. iWizzard macrumors regular

The current 3G standard is 7,2Mbit/s* Wifi can have speed up to 600 Mbps

The next gen Iphone will hopfully have the 802.11n standard for wifi

* This is only theoretical speed and de facto speed is often MUCH lower, the reason is that the ISP only sends out X M/Gbit to the cell tower but have more users than bandwidth.

6. steveza macrumors 68000

steveza

I have never managed to get anywhere near "broadband" speeds with my 3G card (T-Mobile) even though I was assured I would. It's more like dial-up for the most part.

7. 7on macrumors 601

7on

Depends on location... where in the UK are you?

8. Niiro13 macrumors 68000

Depends on the 3G.

It also depends on the Wi-Fi.

If someone decided to set up a wireless hotspot sharing their dial-up connection...3G's gonna be faster.

In most cases, 3G is slower, because hotspots are usually sharing at least DSL.

9. sjo macrumors 6502a

at home yep. ppl are trading up adsl/cable modem connections for 3g now. this of course is outside the us, but north americans should get fast connections someday.

10. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

In Scandinavia we got Turbo 3G (yeah, lame name) with support for up to 7.2 mbit/s (which will eventually support speeds up to 40 mbit/s).

It is probably faster than many wired connections.

Hopefully the iPhone 3G supports HSDPA.

11. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I find websites load up quick enough with 300-400kbps, but faster for video streaming would be really useful. Would really open up Youtube and the iPlayer.

12. wizard macrumors 68040

Question "Is 3G faster than wifi?"

Here is a good question that is a bit more difficult to answer than one might think. There are all sorts of questions that come into play, such as how far are you from the tower, other environmental conditions that impact usage are also a factor. Then the is the issue of demand on the network, the carriers policies and such.

WiFi suffers in the same way. That is for a given set of hardware distance and environmental factors impact performance. Then you have the issue of throttling. I'm not sure what the transfer rate spec'ed on the iPhone is but I don't think they even try to get maximum transfer speed. That due likely to power usage.

In simplest terms though WiFi should be faster given optimal conditions.

Dave

13. newyorksole thread starter macrumors 68030

So basically no one is sure if with 3G we will be able to download on the fly and be able to watch youtube videos clearly?

14. wizard macrumors 68040

You can't really do that now. That due to the iPhones restriction of one user process at a time. Thus you can't be watching youtube and be doing a Safari transfer at the same time.

Now if you mean download a youtube video while viewing said video you can't even guarantee that on a wired desktop machine. To many things come into play to slow transfers. You might do OK on an optimal 3G connection but that is not a given.

Dave

15. JBaker122586 macrumors 65816

No, because that's a software issue.
    Assuming nobody on this forum is coding for Apple, nobody knows.

16. newyorksole thread starter macrumors 68030

damn this sucks until further notice, I was expecting to be browsing the apps library while conncected to 3G, guess I'll have to wait until june to find out (or sooner)

17. NeoMayhem macrumors 6502a

Um, the iPhone only has 802.11g, so 54mbit/sec is the max speed, although it is really a lot less then that.

18. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

I use 3G usb modem from o2.

I get 1.4mb in my current home (rural near the sea), my previous house was 2mb (centre of town)

So yeah the 3G iphone should be much faster than current EDGE.

I'm hoping apple allows us to use the iphone as a modem (like the n95) and I can have the iphone do the jov of my usb modem too.

19. JBaker122586 macrumors 65816

It's already confirmed by Jobs that you will be able to browse and download from the App Store with EDGE.

And don't think that there will 100% be a new 3G iPhone in June, it's still all speculation.

20. TXCraig macrumors 6502a

TXCraig

When pigs fly!

21. JBaker122586 macrumors 65816

That's not an Apple thing, it's an AT&T thing.

22. newyorksole thread starter macrumors 68030

Yeah I know that the 3G iPhone isn't DEFINITELY coming in june, but alllll of the speculation is building up for june, but of course I don't have my hopes up. I'm excited about the new firmware for now.

23. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

If they do allow tethering they'll probably charge an extra $30-40 per month for that service like every other cell provider does.
    Cant expect everything for free.

24. carve macrumors 6502a

carve

Wifi is faster than edge, atleast where i'm at.

25. steveza macrumors 68000

steveza

I tested in Birmingham Airport and city centre, Glasgow Airport and city centre and the train between Birmingham and Leamington Spa. The train I can understand - it's a Faraday cage of sorts and it's moving at speed. But the airports and city centres are supposed to have the best coverage and I got an average of 6KB/s (min:4 /max:8) download speeds.