Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Miller93

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 8, 2013
Im purchasing my first macbook (MBA) next week and while reviewing the specs of the MBA, I have a few questions for the community.

1. Im a college student that will have multiple tabs open and streaming youtube/netflix in 1080p. Will the 4GB of RAM be enough?

2. I've heard rumors that a Haswell retina macbook pro is right around the corner. I have an ipad and im a sucker for retina displays. Should I wait an unknown amount of time or simply go through with the MBA purchase?

3. Is a 128GB SSD enough for a student or should I purchase the 256GB model?

Any responses will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
The only time I wish I had more RAM is when I work with virtual machines. If you're not doing any heavy programming or the like, 4gb is on the lower end of plenty.

Haswel rMBP's are coming, but it's up to you if you want to wait. I wouldn't get a rMBP right now, I'd wait or get the air.

as far as space goes, if you have office, photoshop, and world of warcraft installed, that's a good portion of your 128gb SSD. Add in some music, and you're down to 15% left. I have the 128gb SSD and regret it on a daily basis.

Laco

macrumors 6502
Apr 23, 2008
Im purchasing my first macbook (MBA) next week and while reviewing the specs of the MBA, I have a few questions for the community.

1. Im a college student that will have multiple tabs open and streaming youtube/netflix in 1080p. Will the 4GB of RAM be enough?

2. I've heard rumors that a Haswell retina macbook pro is right around the corner. I have an ipad and im a sucker for retina displays. Should I wait an unknown amount of time or simply go through with the MBA purchase?

I find myself using between 10 to 15GB of ram because I like to have a lot of tabs open in firefox and I have various other programs open (I do not run virtual machines). Personally I would strongly recommend buying 8GB especially if you plan to keep the machine for 3 or more years.

johnnnw

macrumors 65816
Feb 7, 2013
I would totally disagree 4GB is the lower side of plenty.

I do no VM's what so ever and just use iTunes, Safari and a Word problem and I am paging out 10+GB a day.

I desperately need to upgrade my RAM but I've been putting it off.

In 2013 I have found 4GB is simply not enough for anyone.

Miller93

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 8, 2013
The only time I wish I had more RAM is when I work with virtual machines. If you're not doing any heavy programming or the like, 4gb is on the lower end of plenty.

Haswel rMBP's are coming, but it's up to you if you want to wait. I wouldn't get a rMBP right now, I'd wait or get the air.

as far as space goes, if you have office, photoshop, and world of warcraft installed, that's a good portion of your 128gb SSD. Add in some music, and you're down to 15% left. I have the 128gb SSD and regret it on a daily basis.

I've decided I'm going to hold out and purchase the haswell rMBP upon its release. 8GB would future proof my macbook to say the least. Plus the proposed HD 5200 gpu would allow me to run most games on medium-high settings. Not to mention OS mavericks coming pre-installed.

jafingi

macrumors 65816
Apr 3, 2009
Denmark
I'll take 8GB. 4GB will maybe be sufficient for you, but it can't be upgraded later on, and it will minimize eventual pageouts.

Also, after the price were lowered on the Air, the 8GB upgrade is "almost" free (at least cheaper than before).

The Air is a fantastic Mac - if it had a retina screen, I would say one of the best Macs I've ever tried. My girlfriend has one (base 13" with 8GB RAM upgrade), and it just runs great!

You won't regret it. If I didn't need a 15" for development/engineering and needed to run a few VMs, I would definitely go for the Air. However, I'll be waiting for the Haswell rMBP, as it suits my needs better.

lagisibuk

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2013
Its depens on your activity.
But, for your req, its enough for today.

I suggest you to take max ram, please costume to order ( for air and retina)

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA

Here and here are a bit of information about RAM...

NewishMacGuy

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2007
If you plan on running ML, 4GB isn't really enough. You can (just barely) get by with it on light to moderate workloads, but you'll likely have plenty of page-outs. IMO Apple really shouldn't be selling machines with 4GB anymore.

>

CTHarrryH

macrumors 68030
Jul 4, 2012
I've been in the computer business for many decades - if there is one universal truth in all those years it is you can't have too much memory. Go for the 8 GB you will need it some time for some purpose even if not on day 1. Remember, for at least most of us, you aren't buying for today but for several years worth of usage.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
I've been in the computer business for many decades - if there is one universal truth in all those years it is you can't have too much memory. Go for the 8 GB you will need it some time for some purpose even if not on day 1. Remember, for at least most of us, you aren't buying for today but for several years worth of usage.

Given your experience, I have a question regarding OP's post.

First, wouldn't it be less expensive to just buy the computer with the pre-installed RAM, and change it out himself?

Second, assuming the computer will support it, and the expense is manageable, wouldn't it make sense to go for 16GB of RAM...since you can never have too much RAM?

Thanks...:D

B...

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2013
Given your experience, I have a question regarding OP's post.

First, wouldn't it be less expensive to just buy the computer with the pre-installed RAM, and change it out himself?

Second, assuming the computer will support it, and the expense is manageable, wouldn't it make sense to go for 16GB of RAM...since you can never have too much RAM?

Thanks...:D
Do I detect sarcasm?

(If not, MBA memory is soldered to the motherboard. No 16GB option either.)

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
"Enough" depends entirely on what you are using the machine for.

If it is Facebook, streaming video, forum whoring and email (which pretty much covers what you posted), then get an iPad. It will do the jobs you list just as well at about half the price of a base MBA.

jafingi

macrumors 65816
Apr 3, 2009
Denmark
"Enough" depends entirely on what you are using the machine for.

If it is Facebook, streaming video, forum whoring and email (which pretty much covers what you posted), then get an iPad. It will do the jobs you list just as well at about half the price of a base MBA.

As he's a college student, I think he is going to write a lot of assignments, hence the need of a laptop :)

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
Do I detect sarcasm?

(If not, MBA memory is soldered to the motherboard. No 16GB option either.)

No no sarcasm intended. You have experience, and I am technologically challenged. My questions were sincere and serious.

I can't fathom what it was in my post that led you to the assumption of sarcasm... but none was intended.

Since I don't know what about my post seemed sarcastic, I won't bother you with my questions in the future.

B...

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2013
No no sarcasm intended. You have experience, and I am technologically challenged. My questions were sincere and serious.

I can't fathom what it was in my post that led you to the assumption of sarcasm... but none was intended.

Since I don't know what about my post seemed sarcastic, I won't bother you with my questions in the future.
I apologize for my misperception of your post. I didn't mean to insult you at all. But to answer your first question, if the computer has upgradeable RAM slots, usually buying your own RAM is cheaper than paying the price from the OEM. And if the price is manageable, it always makes sense to max out the RAM.

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008
I'm a little confused at what point watching youtube required a $2,500.00 computer, but to each their own.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.