Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hexaea

macrumors member
Nov 29, 2008
Chicago
Based on how I use my computer I don't think 4GB really cuts it anymore.
Any computer I would buy at this point would have a bare minimum of 8GB, most likely more.

With SSDs I'd consider bare minimum to be 256... But if you can reasonably afford it, I'd go for the 512.

4GB RAM, and 128GB SSD may be fine for some people, but moving forward I don't believe it's really ideal.

Markb56

macrumors newbie
Sep 5, 2010
Not if you plan to connect it to the Internet. Apple probably will stop releasing security updates before 2020 for the last MacOS release that will be able to run on the cMBP. If you want to keep it connected to the Internet past 2020, your odds will be better with a 2013 rMBP than a 2012 cMBP.

Good point. So when do we think the 2018 refresh will be, spring or fall.

toronado455

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2009
If all you ever do is run Apple Mail, and a web browser with a single tab, is 4GB enough?

mxidis88

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2013
SLC, UT
Hate to hijack

...but what happens to programs when you don't have enough RAM? It was my understanding that the system will use the HDD or SSD to supplement. If that's the case then wouldn't the blazing fast PCI-based flash storage(in the new MBA) be just about as good as RAM when you need a bit more?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
...but what happens to programs when you don't have enough RAM? It was my understanding that the system will use the HDD or SSD to supplement. If that's the case then wouldn't the blazing fast PCI-based flash storage(in the new MBA) be just about as good as RAM when you need a bit more?

Yes, if RAM is filled the OS spools data off to a swap file on the drive. While spooling off the a fast SSD is much much better that a old, slow hard drive, it is still nowhere near as fast a having the data all in RAM.

But your premise is correct, a fast SSD makes running low on memory less of a penalty than with a hard drive.

psik

macrumors 6502
Aug 21, 2007
But for me (and honestly this is because I Dont have 2 grand to dish out every three years), my goal is to keep my mac for 6 + years...so I would say 16 GB is really what you need if you are serious about futureproofing your mac, specially given that it will be soldered and not upgradeable later on. That's of course if 16 GB is offered in the 13". But if u plan o nreplaing ur mac every 3 years thne 8 GB is perfect.

Meister

Suspended
Oct 10, 2013
4GB is perfectly fine for web browsing and writing assignments, even watching HD movies.

I have 4gb in my 2011 MBP and it was perfectly fine for my IT course where I was running Win 7 and Win Server 2008 VM's at the same time.

No sense upgrading the RAM if you aren't going to notice in. On a machine without an SSD perhaps more RAM is a good idea but with modern SSD's you will be fine.

Use the money instead for a bigger SSD. You will notice a full drive much more than you will notice the very rare times you may exceed 4GB.
This thread seems kinda old but its still actual, since apple even sells the rmbp with 4gb ram.
For 20 years I used to think more ram=good and computers never seemed to have been coming with enough ram.
Now one may wonder how come apple is still selling with only 4gigs?!
The reason is: fast ssd. Of course ram is many times faster, but who can really tell the difference?
I now use a mba with 4gb and a mbp with 8gb. none can tell me that these machines with pcie ssds show any sort of shortcoming or lag.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.