iPad Is 64 GB enough?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by bluebird3, Jul 22, 2013.

1. bluebird3 macrumors regular

my parents in another town are thinking about buying an iPad. They will be using it for eMail, Web Browsing, Skype, Photo sharing (via internet) and basic tasks. I have never owned an iPad before and I do not really know how it is different from Mac as far as its limitation. Anyway, I think they will be more than pleased with this product and I think 64 gb is more than enough ?

2. rgarjr, Jul 22, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2013

rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

depends what you wanna put in it. Some people are happy with even a 16GB.

3. iDominic macrumors member

iDominic

for basic tasks, and simple things I would think 16 GB or maybe 32 to be safe, tbh.

4. FrankB1191 macrumors 6502a

My wife bought an iPad before I did, and her 32GB model ran out of space within a few days. She returned it and bought a 64GB model, and is doing fine with a lot of music, pics, and a small movie collection (the retina display looks better with larger movie files). I bought the 128GB version, and have close to 70GB of space used. Your parents might discover they like movies, and the 64GB will be much more useful should that occur. ;)

5. bluebird3 thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you kindly, very helpful. And Thanks everybody. I will recommend them to go with the 64 GB. :) Movies sounds great !

6. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

64GB is overkill for basic use. I think 32 is best I assumed your parents do not plan to download a lot of movies and music. Picture size is small so they will fit 32 better. I have over 187 pictures with 8GB. :apple:

7. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

So basic use for you means no video and less than 200 pictures?

Ok.

For me, basic use is video and pics. I'll take 200 pictures in one birthday party And I'm not a photographer I could use 512GB or 1TB. Maybe 2. :rolleyes:

8. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

I have no need for ripping DVD movie for iPad cuz captions are lost and I don't normally take picture with my iPad but I could upload it with over 6,000 pictures into my iPad. :apple:

9. kaielement macrumors 65816

If they going to install a lot of apps 32gb is the best way to go otherwise 16 is just fine if they don't plan to stare much music or videos at all. I have owned both a 16gb and a 32gb and had no issues on either I don't store more then a few songs and no moves manly apps. Only have a 32 because my 16gb was stolen and I was able to get a 32gb for the same price I was going to pay for a 16gb. I think in this case 64gb is way over kill.

10. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

Streaming is the future. Not sure why you would need so much space..

11. TwoBytes macrumors 68020

TwoBytes

If you travel a lot and stock up on movies then space is an issue. My music collection needs more space than 64GB!

12. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

What when you go on holiday and have no internet?

13. jojoba macrumors 68000

I agree with those who say 64 would be more than sufficient for that use, and 32 would probably be fine as well.

14. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Don't assume your needs/wants are universal. There are plenty of situations where streaming isn't practical or cost effective. Your inability to conceive of why anyone would need so much space doesn't mean that people don't need the space.

15. barkomatic macrumors 68040

64GB is probably the best size since you don't have to worry about managing your content so much. Even with minimal use, apps are growing in size and a single app can be 1GB or more.

16. Dc2006ster macrumors regular

I am glad I have the 64 gig version.

My wife and I, both seniors, like to travel. I can load up books,music and movies ( for flights and to hook up to Tvs in hotel rooms or rented condos) and still have room to save raw images everynight.

17. yinz macrumors 6502a

Based on what you said, it seems like it depends entirely on how many photos they share in a span of a week. If they are photographers and have professional cameras, or even if they take a couple hundred pictures a day, then maybe the 64 GB won't be enough. If they only take several hundred photos every few months, then 64 GB will be more than enough.

From what I know, Skype, and web browsing don't take up too much space. Emails might, but that really depends on the person and the contents of the email.

18. LostSoul80 macrumors 68020

LostSoul80

64 GB is mainly for power users who enjoy HD videos, have a fairly large music collection, and play intensive games.

19. Breaking Good macrumors 6502a

How much video (movies and TV) and audio (music) do you plan to store on it.

The biggest hog of memory is video. If you plan on storing a lot of video or doing a lot of gaming on it, then I would go for the 64GB.

20. ATC macrumors 6502a

When I first got my 64GB 3rd gen iPad I thought 64 was overkill but now in hindsight it turned out to be the best decision.

We travel a lot and while traveling local Internet varies from almost unusable to very good, depending on where we are.

What I do before leaving is load the iPad up with some of my BR rips with subtitles (using the program Subler, a great program btw), movies are typically 1.5 to 2.5 GB each. So on the road we get to enjoy our movies without worrying about slow Internet or outrageous hotel movie prices (some are upwards of $20 each!). The 64GB has really come in handy.

21. AppleDeviceUser macrumors 6502

AppleDeviceUser

To me 128GB is barely enough. I wish they had 512GB.:cool:

22. Conan86 macrumors 6502

Not to mention that iTunes HD movies are typically 4 ~ 5GB each, 64GB is barely enough for me, had to keep clearing movies..

23. cats4jan macrumors member

I am not a power user - no music or movies, but I do have photos from my last trip. I just found where I can look up my usage in settings and find I have used up nearly half of my 64 GB.

Get the largest hard drive you can afford.

BTW - if your camera has an SD card, I would get the SD card reader kit for your iPad. While on vacation, you can copy your photos to your iPad in one simple step - the card reader goes into slot used to charge your iPad - the card goes into the reader - and the photos instantly transfer over.

After transfer, you will be asked whether you want to delete the photos from the card - don't. This is a great backup for your photos - just in case that media card glitches.

You can then separate the photos into folders so you can keep track of just where the photos were taken each day.

And it is so nice to be able to get a good look at your photos while on vacation - it helps you be a better photographer to see where you might improve your photos. You just can't see the detail when looking at your photos on your camera's screen.

24. McBeats macrumors 6502a

if you got a computer at home and internet access on the ipad, then 16gb is enough. I plan on getting a 32gb this time around.

25. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Should be given the usage of it. However, some people over take photos or record video.