iPad Is 64 GB enough?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Alaxlmartin, Nov 12, 2018.

?

64 GB Enough

1. Yes

63 vote(s)
    34.1%
  2. No

46 vote(s)
    24.9%
  3. Depends on Situation

76 vote(s)
    41.1%
  1. Sportpoz macrumors newbie

Sportpoz

my previous iPhone had 256 GB. When I exchanged it this year on XS MAX, I took 64 GB, because in the previous model I never used more than 30 GB. Until I reach the 50 GB limit, I think that there is no need to spend money on extra memory when everything is kept in iCloud. Same with the iPad. Previous 64 GB, of which I was about 21 GB. It makes no sense to pay extra money.

2. Ghost31 macrumors 68020

Ghost31

Everyone is always “future proofing” so much and they don’t realize by the time they might even need more space is far past the time they would have upgraded anyway

3. tdbrown75 macrumors member

tdbrown75

I have a family of four, and we each have at least 2 Apple devices (some have 3). Let’s say we upgrade each device on average every 2-3 years, and the minimum storage bump to the next level is $125. Over a 5 year period that would be roughly 20 devices, which would equate to paying $2500 of extra onboard storage over a 5 year period, and that’s being conservative!

We also have 2TB of iCloud storage with our shared family plan for $10 month. Over a 5 year period, that equates to $600 in monthly storage fees. $600 vs at least $2500 - you do the math.

I use 32/64GB on my iPhone, and only 24/64GB on my iPad. Granted my Wife and Daughter tend to use more, we have had no problem making everything fit by leveraging iCloud. So yes, while it’s only $100 or $150 more to go to the next storage level to get a better “value” per device, you end up paying much more in the long run, rebuying storage over and over again across multiple devices!

Tim

4. mikehalloran macrumors 6502a

When the only choices are 64 & 256, I have to go with 256.

On my other devices, 64G isn’t really enough but 128G is plenty.

5. flur macrumors 68020

flur

It’s the opposite for me. I buy way more space than I think I need, and don’t upgrade until I run out. I’m a bit annoyed because I’m out of space on my 6s 64gb and don’t want to buy a new phone until next fall.

6. Vivian125 macrumors 6502

Vivian125

A simple no. Since you have said that it will be going to your PC REPLACEMENT, might as well get at least the 512GB or much better the 1 Terabytes Models just to ensure that everything is under control of the flash storage.

1. 64GB is ONLY ENOUGH if you have a Laptop/PC or playing not more than 11 Heavy Games
    2. 64GB Is ONLY ENOUGH if you have other iOS DEVICE to have a back up like iPhone or Macbook (etc)

7. lax28 macrumors 6502

lax28

I can’t imagine how 64 would be enough, I haven’t had a 64GB iOS device in years. I have found 256 to be a real nice spot. I may be able to make 128 work now that so much more information is syncing with iCloud, however it could be tight and never want to regret not having space. I know that 256, would have been fine on my latest iPad Pro as my old iPad Pro and my iPhone only have 256 and both still have space, I still went ahead and opted for the 512 with hopes that I will use my new 12.9 as more of a laptop replacement as well and I plan on keeping this one for closer to 5 or so years based on price paid. I hope it is built to still be a good machine that many years down the road.

Anyway given choices 64, 256, 512, 1TB I would guess 256 should be most popular and be good for almost anyone for the life of the iPad.

8. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

For me, yes. With iCloud storage I haven’t had any issues with 64GB on either my phones or iPad. Heck, I even survived with 16GB on my iPad until recently. But it really comes down to your use case. If your work involves a lot of photos/videos you’re going to want space for storing those and editing them. Otherwise for consumption, you’ll be fine with 64.

9. Dammit Cubs macrumors 68000

Dammit Cubs

so far i am using 19.6 GBs of storage out of 64. I don't sync icloud photos. and I mainly use it for media consumption via streaming or online.

10. mikehalloran macrumors 6502a

I could make 64GB work on my 1st gen 12.9" iPad Pro if that had been available to me. My choices, however, were 32G and 128G so 32 was way too small. Glad I went 128G. Mine is my work machine when I travel and I gig with it.

I have no argument with this even though, in my case, it would be wrong.

I'm not you.

You need to consider how you are going to use it. If you buy more storage than you really need, you won't really mind that you spent a few $$$ more. If, however, you don't buy enough, you'll kick yourself for not spending the extra bucks since there's no upgrade except buying another one with more storage.

When buying my iPhone Xs, the choices were 64G and 256G. I can make 64 work today but will it still next month? Don't know and, with 256GB onboard, I don't have to care.