Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

64 GB Enough

• Yes

Votes: 84 31.7%
  • No

Votes: 65 24.5%
  • Depends on Situation

Votes: 116 43.8%

• Total voters

Sportpoz

macrumors member
Jul 25, 2017
Poland, Poznan
my previous iPhone had 256 GB. When I exchanged it this year on XS MAX, I took 64 GB, because in the previous model I never used more than 30 GB. Until I reach the 50 GB limit, I think that there is no need to spend money on extra memory when everything is kept in iCloud. Same with the iPad. Previous 64 GB, of which I was about 21 GB. It makes no sense to pay extra money.

Ghost31

macrumors 68040
Jun 9, 2015
my previous iPhone had 256 GB. When I exchanged it this year on XS MAX, I took 64 GB, because in the previous model I never used more than 30 GB. Until I reach the 50 GB limit, I think that there is no need to spend money on extra memory when everything is kept in iCloud. Same with the iPad. Previous 64 GB, of which I was about 21 GB. It makes no sense to pay extra money.
Everyone is always “future proofing” so much and they don’t realize by the time they might even need more space is far past the time they would have upgraded anyway

tdbrown75

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2015
Dallas, TX
I have a family of four, and we each have at least 2 Apple devices (some have 3). Let’s say we upgrade each device on average every 2-3 years, and the minimum storage bump to the next level is $125. Over a 5 year period that would be roughly 20 devices, which would equate to paying $2500 of extra onboard storage over a 5 year period, and that’s being conservative!

We also have 2TB of iCloud storage with our shared family plan for $10 month. Over a 5 year period, that equates to $600 in monthly storage fees. $600 vs at least $2500 - you do the math.

I use 32/64GB on my iPhone, and only 24/64GB on my iPad. Granted my Wife and Daughter tend to use more, we have had no problem making everything fit by leveraging iCloud. So yes, while it’s only $100 or $150 more to go to the next storage level to get a better “value” per device, you end up paying much more in the long run, rebuying storage over and over again across multiple devices!

Tim

flur

macrumors 68020
Nov 12, 2012
Everyone is always “future proofing” so much and they don’t realize by the time they might even need more space is far past the time they would have upgraded anyway
It’s the opposite for me. I buy way more space than I think I need, and don’t upgrade until I run out. I’m a bit annoyed because I’m out of space on my 6s 64gb and don’t want to buy a new phone until next fall.

Vivian125

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2017
Very interesting

1 Very rarely not near an internet modem and IPhone is backup with ICloud
2 Yes
3 Yes
4 Don’t use
5 Never
6 Yes

A simple no. Since you have said that it will be going to your PC REPLACEMENT, might as well get at least the 512GB or much better the 1 Terabytes Models just to ensure that everything is under control of the flash storage.

1. 64GB is ONLY ENOUGH if you have a Laptop/PC or playing not more than 11 Heavy Games
2. 64GB Is ONLY ENOUGH if you have other iOS DEVICE to have a back up like iPhone or Macbook (etc)

lax28

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2014
New Jersey
I can’t imagine how 64 would be enough, I haven’t had a 64GB iOS device in years. I have found 256 to be a real nice spot. I may be able to make 128 work now that so much more information is syncing with iCloud, however it could be tight and never want to regret not having space. I know that 256, would have been fine on my latest iPad Pro as my old iPad Pro and my iPhone only have 256 and both still have space, I still went ahead and opted for the 512 with hopes that I will use my new 12.9 as more of a laptop replacement as well and I plan on keeping this one for closer to 5 or so years based on price paid. I hope it is built to still be a good machine that many years down the road.

Anyway given choices 64, 256, 512, 1TB I would guess 256 should be most popular and be good for almost anyone for the life of the iPad.

VSMacOne

macrumors 603
Oct 18, 2008
For me, yes. With iCloud storage I haven’t had any issues with 64GB on either my phones or iPad. Heck, I even survived with 16GB on my iPad until recently. But it really comes down to your use case. If your work involves a lot of photos/videos you’re going to want space for storing those and editing them. Otherwise for consumption, you’ll be fine with 64.

Dammit Cubs

macrumors 68020
Jul 31, 2007
so far i am using 19.6 GBs of storage out of 64. I don't sync icloud photos. and I mainly use it for media consumption via streaming or online.

mikehalloran

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2018
The Sillie Con Valley
I could make 64GB work on my 1st gen 12.9" iPad Pro if that had been available to me. My choices, however, were 32G and 128G so 32 was way too small. Glad I went 128G. Mine is my work machine when I travel and I gig with it.

A simple no. Since you have said that it will be going to your PC REPLACEMENT, might as well get at least the 512GB

I have no argument with this even though, in my case, it would be wrong.

I'm not you.

You need to consider how you are going to use it. If you buy more storage than you really need, you won't really mind that you spent a few $$$ more. If, however, you don't buy enough, you'll kick yourself for not spending the extra bucks since there's no upgrade except buying another one with more storage.

When buying my iPhone Xs, the choices were 64G and 256G. I can make 64 work today but will it still next month? Don't know and, with 256GB onboard, I don't have to care.

Reactions: rui no onna

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
I had a 256 gb iPP 2nd gen 12.9 that only had 28 gb used when I sold it (talk about overkill). After selling it, I bought a 32 gb 2018 iPad to tide me over til the new pros were released. It had about 28 gbs used on it as well.

I bought an 11” pro with 64 gb. I honestly feel that storage will work for me based on what I do, but, as I expand what I do on it, if I see I’m getting close to maxing it out, I’ll have to go bigger next time.

The thing that I think saves me with my iPad is that I don’t have a lot of pics and videos like I do on my phone. A lot of what I do on my iPad is with writing/documents/journals/stuff like that. I’m also not a gamer. I have very few games on my iPad.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
A simple no. Since you have said that it will be going to your PC REPLACEMENT, might as well get at least the 512GB or much better the 1 Terabytes Models just to ensure that everything is under control of the flash storage.

1. 64GB is ONLY ENOUGH if you have a Laptop/PC or playing not more than 11 Heavy Games
2. 64GB Is ONLY ENOUGH if you have other iOS DEVICE to have a back up like iPhone or Macbook (etc)

I'd add: 64gb is enough if you use iCloud, DropBox and other cloud services to store all or most of your data.

I'm returning the 256gb Pro I bought in favor of the 64gb. I've been looking at the usage on my Mini 4 (which has always had more saved locally than the Air 2 that I traded in on the Pro 11), and it's clear to me that I no longer need a lot of local storage.

I voted "yes" above but probably should change my vote to "it depends," because that's actually the right answer (as far as I can tell - meaning, I actually can't tell YOU what your needs are).

Reactions: Yuuuki

Richard8655

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2009
Chicago suburbs
32gb 6th gen iPad is almost too much. I hover around 10gb and never feel constrained. iCloud and Mac 1TB via WiFi take care of my big music/videos storage needs. But if on the road or this is your primary computer, well that's another story.

Last edited:

tps3443

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2019
NC,USA
I had a budget of around $900 for the new iPad Pro 3rd gen.

I could either go WiFi only with 256gb, or Cellular/WiFi 64GB.

I’d much rather have a IPad that is portable, I get 4G LTE everywhere! With my current carrier I can download around 25GB before I ge anykind of capped download speeds. I only have one SIM card until I get another one, so I’ve got share a sim from my iPhone lol. It’s great all these devices are unlocked and LTE works right away!

Storage space is nice, but Cellular is better!

I’ve used about 16GB of my 64GB available. It is plenty of storage for me! This is the best tablet I’ve ever had, I’m happy with it!

Last edited:

ryanwarsaw

macrumors 68030
Apr 7, 2007
I drew the line in the sand for storage. I think the base models should be 128. However I will not upgrade to a 256. I only buy the lowest storage amounts available right now. My reasoning is if I upgrade to 256GB now next time I go to buy Apple will probably make 128 entry and 512 the upgrade. This leaves me in the same dilemma upgrade after upgrade.

I buy 64 now and some day the minimum will become 128 and maybe 256. Now I am on course to never pay for upgraded storage again. Apple has made a trillion dollars doing this. There is also the cloud. I have 5 devices in my household that I pay for. So $150-$300 a piece is a hefty bit of money. One family 2TB cloud account is much cheaper.

If you pay less for a device future proofing isn't as critical because you paid the very minimum and didn't mortgage your home over it. I just bought an 11" IPP with 64.

Some would say cloud isn't viable with out LTE. Just use your iPhone as a hotspot. If I added 256GB and LTE to my purchase it is $1,100 instead of $800. Then you are going to end up paying some sleaze ball cell carrier to use data monthly for an iPad. Entire cities provide free wifi these days as well as just about any business in the world you eat or drink inside of.

I am also citing the average user. Many people need LTE and the highest level of storage but if you are asking if you need the storage you probably don't
[doublepost=1549232716][/doublepost]
I had a budget of around $900 for the new iPad Pro 3rd gen.

I could either go WiFi only with 256gb, or Cellular/WiFi 64GB.

I’d much rather have a IPad that is portable, I get 4G LTE everywhere! With my current carrier I can download around 25GB before I ge anykind of capped download speeds. I only have one SIM card until I get another one, so I’ve got share a sim from my iPhone lol. It’s great all these devices are unlocked and LTE works right away!

Storage space is nice, but Cellular is better!

I’ve used about 16GB of my 64GB available. It is plenty of storage for me! This is the best tablet I’ve ever had, I’m happy with it!

If your budget is that tight why in the world pay for LTE and a data plan for an iPad? These days it is so simple just to push one button and use an iPhone for a hot spot. If that works for you great but just curious.

tps3443

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2019
NC,USA
I a
I drew the line in the sand for storage. I think the base models should be 128. However I will not upgrade to a 256. I only buy the lowest storage amounts available right now. My reasoning is if I upgrade to 256GB now next time I go to buy Apple will probably make 128 entry and 512 the upgrade. This leaves me in the same dilemma upgrade after upgrade.

I buy 64 now and some day the minimum will become 128 and maybe 256. Now I am on course to never pay for upgraded storage again. Apple has made a trillion dollars doing this. There is also the cloud. I have 5 devices in my household that I pay for. So $150-$300 a piece is a hefty bit of money. One family 2TB cloud account is much cheaper.

If you pay less for a device future proofing isn't as critical because you paid the very minimum and didn't mortgage your home over it. I just bought an 11" IPP with 64.

Some would say cloud isn't viable with out LTE. Just use your iPhone as a hotspot. If I added 256GB and LTE to my purchase it is $1,100 instead of $800. Then you are going to end up paying some sleaze ball cell carrier to use data monthly for an iPad. Entire cities provide free wifi these days as well as just about any business in the world you eat or drink inside of.

I am also citing the average user. Many people need LTE and the highest level of storage but if you are asking if you need the storage you probably don't
[doublepost=1549232716][/doublepost]

If your budget is that tight why in the world pay for LTE and a data plan for an iPad? These days it is so simple just to push one button and use an iPhone for a hot spot. If that works for you great but just curious.

My budget was originally $900.00 that was the most I was going to spend. I would have purchased either model honestly.. WiFi only, or cellular + WiFi model. But, after experiencing how great a cellular iPad is, I wouldn’t have it any other way. It’s worth more than extra storage anyway.

But, I actually bought my iPad Pro 11” 3rd gen 64b unlocked cellular/WiFi model for $650 on Craigslist. I do no have a data plan for it. I just put my phones sim in it when I need to to use LTE. I’ll eventually get a SIM card for it, just have not gotten around to it yet. But, just because you have a cellular model doesn’t mean your forced to buy a data plan for it. It is flexibility. It is unlocked, and I could share my phones sim forever if I wanted to.

So, for $650 bucks I just so happen to get a Unlocked cellular version, my iPad also qualified for AppleCare + premium, so I put that on there too for for only $5.99 a month, instead of buying the AppleCare outright for $129.99. So, if I only keep my iPad a year, I’ve had AppleCare premium for the cost of only $70 bucks vs. someone paying for it in full, and wasting money if the sold there device early to upgrade.

Also, using hotspot isn’t the most reliable option, phone batteries die pretty fast. And it’s just easier having a cellular iPad. If I go walking in the woods I can bring just my iPad and I’m covered.

Apple shouldn’t even offer two models; WiFi, or WiFi+Cellular?

Do you want our iPad complete or neutered?

My iPad can text, and do anything a phone can. I’m not tied down to WiFi either, or typing in passwords, or worrying if a place has WiFi.. wifi is a secondary option only. Being the 11” model it is pretty compact too.

ryanwarsaw

macrumors 68030
Apr 7, 2007
I a

My budget was originally $900.00 that was the most I was going to spend. I would have purchased either model honestly.. WiFi only, or cellular + WiFi model. But, after experiencing how great a cellular iPad is, I wouldn’t have it any other way. It’s worth more than extra storage anyway.

But, I actually bought my iPad Pro 11” 3rd gen 64b unlocked cellular/WiFi model for $650 on Craigslist. I do no have a data plan for it. I just put my phones sim in it when I need to to use LTE. I’ll eventually get a SIM card for it, just have not gotten around to it yet. But, just because you have a cellular model doesn’t mean your forced to buy a data plan for it. It is flexibility. It is unlocked, and I could share my phones sim forever if I wanted to.

So, for $650 bucks I just so happen to get a Unlocked cellular version, my iPad also qualified for AppleCare + premium, so I put that on there too for for only $5.99 a month, instead of buying the AppleCare outright for $129.99. So, if I only keep my iPad a year, I’ve had AppleCare premium for the cost of only $70 bucks vs. someone paying for it in full, and wasting money if the sold there device early to upgrade.

Also, using hotspot isn’t the most reliable option, phone batteries die pretty fast. And it’s just easier having a cellular iPad. If I go walking in the woods I can bring just my iPad and I’m covered.

My iPad can text, and do anything a phone can. I’m not tied down to WiFi either, or typing in passwords, or worrying if a place has WiFi.. wifi is a secondary option only. Being the 11” model it is pretty compact too.

You make a point about battery life using a hot spot. I guess if I am sitting somewhere long enough to drain a battery I am plugged in. Anyway fair enough my curiosity is satisfied. :)

rwilliams

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2009
Raleigh, NC
If the iPad could utilize external storage, I’d opt for the smaller capacity versions. But when I travel and don’t have access to internet (or want to burn through my data via hotspot), I like to put movies and such on my iPad. Movie sizes can be pretty large sometimes, so I like to have more storage space.

Last edited:

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
I a

Hey how do you pay for AppleCare monthly like that? I want to get it for my pro, but would love to do the small payments.

Disconnect_00

Suspended
Jan 15, 2019
No. 256 GB is the minimum these days. With 4K content you are going to fill that up quickly. Not to mention your own camera recording, photos, apps, ebooks, songs...

A 4K lossless Ultra-HD Blu-ray can even exceed that. I see there are movies that will waste 70, 80 GB. And this is only the movie. You can use free host services like Google Drive (15 GB) to host your stuff, but you are always going to need the device space.

The next time I buy a tablet I will not settle for less than 512 GB.

I’ve seen a lot of stupid posts here on MR, but this one takes the cake. You have to be real dense to store 4K Lossless Ultra-HD Blu-ray content on an iPad that 100% can’t make use of any of that. But hey, if your whole goal is to satisfy inadequacies with iPad storage size and pointless exercises in blowing storage space, might I recommend spending that extra money on a therapist, rather than a 512GB model?
[doublepost=1549267187][/doublepost]

As someone using an iPad Pro as a PC replacement, and managing just fine with 64GB, I just have to point out that you’re wrong. Frankly, most could get by with 64GB and over-buy on storage. Would 128GB base be better? Sure. But 64GB is perfectly adequate for many. Posting a wide blanket statement is just foolish, especially when you end it by telling people to get the 1TB model.

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
I’ve seen a lot of stupid posts here on MR, but this one takes the cake. You have to be real dense to store 4K Lossless Ultra-HD Blu-ray content on an iPad that 100% can’t make use of any of that. But hey, if your whole goal is to satisfy inadequacies with iPad storage size and pointless exercises in blowing storage space, might I recommend spending that extra money on a therapist, rather than a 512GB model?

As someone using an iPad Pro as a PC replacement, and managing just fine with 64GB, I just have to point out that you’re wrong. Frankly, most could get by with 64GB and over-buy on storage. Would 128GB base be better? Sure. But 64GB is perfectly adequate for many. Posting a wide blanket statement is just foolish, especially when you end it by telling people to get the 1TB model.

I second this. I have a 64 gb as a replacement for my iMac. I had a 256 12.9” gb pro that had about 30 gbs on it when I decided to sell it. I then used a 32 gb 6th gen iPad for about 9 months waiting for new ones to get released, then toying with whether or not I really needed another pro. Alas, getting a pro won out, but I opted for a 64 gb.

IF they had a 128, that might be optimum for me, just to have plenty of wiggle room, but I just didn’t feel the need to pay for something I knew I wouldn’t use.

rwilliams

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2009
Raleigh, NC

Why be rude to the guy because he chooses to use his device that way?

*~Kim~*

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2013
UK
It is for me, but then the only games I play aren't that big. I only really keep photos and music on my phone. I still have about a GB free on an old 16GB iPad.

Probably upgrading to the Mini/9.7" or equivalent this year. I do hope the new Mini if it comes is available with less than 128 as that's overkill for my use, but it would be nice to have the Mini there as a realistic option as it was a size that I was favouring a few years ago.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.