Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Varmann

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 3, 2010
The 7.1 is an extraordinary machine.
It takes expandability to a whole new level (for a Mac), especially consider memory and graphics.

But after it?

The M1 SoC hints about the future. Very efficient and powerful single chip systems, in line with previous Apple ARM development.
But the 7.1 is a different beast, the max amount of RAM and graphic power is way beyond what a SoC may include in quite some years a head.

How will Apple solve this?

Multi SoC solutions? Against the SoC concept, and also less flexible, you get multiples of CPU+GPU+RAM, not just more RAM.

New dedicated CPU with external RAM/GPU? A very costly development for a very limited niche.

SoC with additional external GPU/RAM? Against the SoC concept, probably lots of dead weight on the SoC.

Go for a less capable/expandable Pro machine, with a high-end SoC. Maybe some limited expansion slots.

The 7.1, with new MPX and afterburner cards, looked like a future proof safe bet for a new line of Pro machines lasting several model generations. Since that development went parallel to that of the ARM transition you would hope for some "plan", or?
Maybe the 7.1 team had rather little knowledge about the other development, and just went all in? Maybe we have an overengineered fantastic machine, but also a dead end, just like the incredible Macintosh IIfx?

Last edited:

macguru9999

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2006
What about a Mac Silicon ARM upgrade card ? I guess without a PDS slot (processor direct slot slot) in the mac pro thats a non starter... They should have thought of that. I doubt the mac pro development team even talked to the arm chip team when they were designing the mac pro, they were probably in different buildings....

Reactions: Varmann

tevion5

macrumors 68000
Jul 12, 2011
Ireland
Funny side effect of the Mac Pro probably being the last one to transition to Apple Silicon is how it's likely to end up as one of the weakest computers in the entire lineup by the time it gets replaced in late 2022 or so.

LeonPro

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2002
The M1 is just the tip of the iceberg. Apple isn't showing all it's cards and what their Apple Silicon is capable of with the obvious self-imposed constraints they showcased.

I purchased the 7,1 because I knew this would be the last of the Intel computers that I can eventually tinker with and upgrade once it's decommissioned from actual video editing use.

I'm also excited for what's to come on how Apple can blow our minds once the Mac Pro counterpart is released and how fast it can be.

Last edited:
Reactions: tevion5

Varmann

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 3, 2010
The M1 is just the tip of the iceberg. Apple isn't showing all it's cards and what their Apple Silicon is capable of with the obvious self-imposed constraints they showcased.
I do not doubt that!
But I doubt a SoC MacPro will be able to be loaded with 30 times the RAM of lower end Macs, or having 4 high end graphic cards. The distance between a normal "Imac/Macbook Pro" and a maxed out Mac Pro will probably diminish.

A highend SoC can do a lot, but not alter the laws of physics.

But I want to be wrong.

Last edited:

tevion5

macrumors 68000
Jul 12, 2011
Ireland

I purchased the 7,1 because I knew this would be the last of the Intel computers that I can eventually tinker with and upgrade once it's decommissioned from actual video editing use.

I'm also excited for what's to come on how Apple can blow our minds once the Mac Pro counterpart is released and how fast it can be.

Totally I'm in the same boat, loving my 7,1 and looking forward to upgrading it and tinkering over the next couple of years and also really eager to see what Apple Silicon Macs are coming out later.

Reactions: LeonPro

deconstruct60

macrumors G5
Mar 10, 2009
But the 7.1 is a different beast, the max amount of RAM and graphic power is way beyond what a SoC may include in quite some years a head.

Years ( or year ) ahead really more so depends upon when Apple started. The lead time on these SoC is about 2-3 years. If they didn't start until wrapping up the 7,1 in 2019 then 2022. If they started in 2018 then late 2021 is plausible.

Since they also need something for the iMac (and Mini for the rest of the line up beside the foothold the i3 variant was holding down ) my guess , is that it was 2019 so 2022 is more likely.
That should free up more "bulk 5nm" wafer starts too as some other chips will be moving on to 3nm around that time.

Multi SoC solutions? Against the SoC concept, and also less flexible, you get multiples of CPU+GPU+RAM, not just more RAM.

Not just multiples of GPU. But Secure Enclaves . Neural Engines. Separate Image Photo/Video processors . Separate TB controllers and USB hubs . Putting multiple computers inside a single box isn't what the Mac Pro does.

New dedicated CPU with external RAM/GPU? A very costly development for a very limited niche.

Loop in the iMac and it isn't that small. The iMac doesn't cover the PCI-e lane count that the Xeon W 3200 series does ( x16 versus x64 ) , but at least gets them on the path to some other volume part that actually tries to provision mild double digit numbers of PCI-e lanes.

In fact this "half height" Mac Pro (with lots less slots ) is even closer to what the iMac 27" would probably need.

SoC with additional external GPU/RAM? Against the SoC concept, probably lots of dead weight on the SoC.

I doesn't really conflict with the SoC concept at all if get out of the whole there can be one and only one GPU mindset. SoC is more so about collapsing stuff that was on previous mother logic boards into a single package ( and as a single die if can get away with it). A more integrated circiut. The SoC just need to collapse 'some' other chips to get more integrated.

Apple doesn't have to build a GPU that does everything for everybody.
For example the MBP 16" has two GPUs. So does the iMac. Apple wants to completely own the iGPU space. That's fine but that doesn't drop out the requirements for things like:

40-100GbE ( Network SAN enabling cards )

U.2 drive card (new at Sonnet https://www.sonnettech.com/product/fusion-dual-u2-ssd/overview.html ) or just quad M.2

DAW audio cards

all of which were not on the main logic board in the first place.

Apple can put a Thunderbolt controller in the SoC but that won't cover everything. But it does collapse some of the discrete chips in the current Mac Pro 2019 (7,1) onto the SoC. Similar candidates are the PCI-e switches ( the big PEX or at least some of the smaller ones ). Those too could be collapsed into the SoC . And some synergy to that too because in one driver for those is the Thunderbolt controllers (built into the system).

There is a substantial amount of complexity of the 7,1 mainboard that Apple could take out of 3rd party components and push into the SoC.

A larger iGPU on a "big" Mac Pro SoC isn't dead weight if that is where the unmodified iPhone apps run. Nor if ML/GPU computational work is handed too it.

The M1 probably isn't all that big die wise. Probably in the 110-130mm die range. Apple could grow up to 300mm and still not be "super huge" but could add 2-3x P cores and/or a 2-3x GPU. Doesn't technically have to be one die either and still land in the Unified Memory zone with one big RAM pool.

Go for a less capable/expandable Pro machine, with a high-end SoC. Maybe some limited expansion slots.

That seems to be the track they are on with the recent "half" sized Mac Pro rumor. But it remains to be seen if they are going to stop there.

The 7.1, with new MPX and afterburner cards, looked like a future proof safe bet for a new line of Pro machines lasting several model generations. Since that development went parallel to that of the ARM transition you would hope for some "plan", or?

There is little about Afterburner that seems a "dead end". Apple is pointing more so at the ML/Neural and M-series image processor workloads at more standardized formats ( either tweaks on uncompressed state or compression/decompression to standard formats. Probably Apple's new ProRAW stuff ). But high workload ProRes still looks to be covered by Afterburner still . Thunderbolt doesn't really "enable" ProRes. Apple has gobs of other competing function units competing for transistor budget inside the SoC so the image compute function probably isn't going to pick up "fixed function" ProRes any time soon.

MPX ... same issue of whether or not believe Apple is going to build "everything for everybody" GPUs or just stick with "king of the iGPUs." If they need to hook DisplayPort out back into the switch matrix to feed back out the standard ports then it is probably still there. Apple is also probably highly committed to the elimination of internal wires 'dangling' around inside the box looking less 'clean'.

Even if Apple cuts the number of MPX bays in half, it is probably still going to be around because the root cause issues are still going to be there.

Maybe the 7.1 team had rather little knowledge about the other development, and just went all in? Maybe we have an overengineered fantastic machine, but also a dead end, just like the incredible Macintosh IIfx?

I think what is lost is folks who expected Apple to chase the mainstream Threadripper, EYPC , Xeon SP workstation models on features. That isn't going to happen. The Mac Pro isn't going to be kind of the main application core count ( > 28 cores and shooting for triple digits ). That isn't going to happen.

Apple is extremely unlikely their single threaded performance for "more cores". Nor throw the ML/Neural cores out the window to crank P core counts. The next Mac Pro system(s) will probably have very hefty transistor budgets thrown at some somewhat narrow computational areas. Way , way , way more than what the path of Threadripper, EYPC, and Xeon SP are likely going to be.

Whether the quad digit GB of RAM capacity also disappears is unclear. that may be on the chopping block along with "absolute maximum core count" mindset.

The "full sizs" , 8 slot Mac Pro might take longer than the 2 year transition that Apple set out. [ Apple will claim transition completeness 'victory' with just the "half size" Mac Pro ] And it probably won't be iterated on at the same pace as the rest of the line up. Apple doing a "M-series biggest " ( M1Z ? (if 3 or 4 total ) ) may only come once every 4 years or so. And it won't be much cheaper.

It probably depends upon how many Mac Pro 7,1 they sell and how much they want to keep a "iMac Pro" like product around. ( or just let the iMac consume that relative performance space).

Last edited:
Reactions: Varmann

LeonPro

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2002
There's already MacBook Air M1 CPU tests floating around this morning and on single CPU, it actually beat a 24-core Mac Pro in the same test. But the Mac Pro beat it in multi-core. If that isn't an indication on what's to come for the 8,1 Mac Pro...

My only concern is that they will contain expandability to their own peripherals and leave third-party for external connection. Again, the reason why I wanted the 7,1.

I hope I'm wrong and they introduce a Mac Pro 8,1 killer that allows the same kind of internal expansion potential even for third-party suppliers.

LeonPro

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2002
Here's the MacBook Air CPU result versus my Mac Pro 2019 with 16-cores:

Screen Shot 2020-11-13 at 11.12.02 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-11-13 at 11.16.46 AM.png

Just build an M2 chip with double the cores and its straight out of the bat a Mac Pro killer.

tevion5

macrumors 68000
Jul 12, 2011
Ireland
Just build an M2 chip with double the cores and its straight out of the bat a Mac Pro killer.
Makes me wonder if 7,1 prices will drop over the next 2 years, even through based on the arse they teared out of the 6,1 I somewhat doubt it lol.

Performance metrics against upcoming 16-core Apple Silicon iMacs with dedicated GPUs will make it a hard sell to anyone looking for more than just performance.

I love my 7,1 but expansion for the sake of expansion with worse performance than an iMac and more inefficient power usage, is getting niche even for the already niche Mac Pro demand. Especially if those iMacs will be around €2,000.

Reactions: bsbeamer

LeonPro

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2002
I agree. I don't mind leaving an iGPU for typical browsing as long as we can install MPX GPU where it automatically kicks in for higher tasks.

deconstruct60

macrumors G5
Mar 10, 2009
There's already MacBook Air M1 CPU tests floating around this morning and on single CPU, it actually beat a 24-core Mac Pro in the same test. But the Mac Pro beat it in multi-core. If that isn't an indication on what's to come for the 8,1 Mac Pro...

That is actually not that very hard. The Intel and AMD mainstream processors do the exact same thing. Generally there is a tradeoff between going "max core count" and max Clock speed. You have to pick one if want decent performance/power. They both don't come for free and actually in general conflict. ( more cores putting high bandwidth pressure on the memory subsystem , then the more likely you'll swamp it. once the memory system is swamp then going to take IPC hits ... there is no free lunch. ). The internal bus is set to deal with different kinds of workloads.

If drop down to 12 cores the M1 isn't as huge gap in single core and still has multiple core competitiveness. ( 8 core model is purposely kneecapped uncessarily by Intel for goofy marketing reasons).

Reactions: LeonPro

deconstruct60

macrumors G5
Mar 10, 2009
Makes me wonder if 7,1 prices will drop over the next 2 years, even through based on the arse they teared out of the 6,1 I somewhat doubt it lol.

Probably not. Intel probalby isn't going to change the prices much for those processors. The Xeon 3300 ( Ice Lake W ) versions yes ... but those aren't going to be an option.

Intel changed their 2200 pricing (relative to 2100) but the 3200 didn't fall and hasn't been reposition. Apple isn't going to change. The Mac Pro 2013 only going a price change after 4 years on the market. If Mac Pro 2019 is still sitting in the line up in 2023 then yeah, but next 12-14 months.... probably not.

More likely if they don't have a direct replacement by end of 2022 they'll just stop it. And perhaps bring a "full size" model later. Point folks to the "half" Mac Pro and declare transition timeline victory.

Performance metrics against upcoming 16-core Apple Silicon iMacs with dedicated GPUs will make it a hard sell to anyone looking for more than just performance.

16? Probably 12 and that budget for 2 P thrown at system cache and perhaps some more iGPU. And the dedicated GPU might be just chiplets so pragmaticaly still an iGPU. Just sticking to smaller dies coming out of the foudary, not switching over to discete GPU (with discrete VRAM).

norsemen

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2007
What about a Mac Silicon ARM upgrade card ? I guess without a PDS slot (processor direct slot slot) in the mac pro thats a non starter... They should have thought of that. I doubt the mac pro development team even talked to the arm chip team when they were designing the mac pro, they were probably in different buildings....
It´s called the Mac Mini M1...

Varmann

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 3, 2010
If you are 80 years old, 7,1 is peak MacPro
With "Peak MacPro", I did not mean "fastest ever". It certainly will not be.

It was more a kind of question of the width of the gap between a fully maxed out MacPro and that of "normal" high selling Mac, regarding computing power, memory, graphics and expansion capability. That gap has varied a big deal between different "MacPro" equivalents up through the years.

Varmann

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 3, 2010
I think what is lost is folks who expected Apple to chase the mainstream Threadripper, EYPC , Xeon SP workstation models on features. That isn't going to happen.
About my opinion as well. The 7.1 went pretty far in that direction, especially compared to the 6.1.

I expect the next one it to be a very capable work station as long as you do not have some extreme demands like TBs of memory, several slots of highend GPUs or hundreds of cores in multi CPU configurations. A well rounded versatile work station.

deconstruct60

macrumors G5
Mar 10, 2009
It was more a kind of question of the width of the gap between a fully maxed out MacPro and that of "normal" high selling Mac, regarding computing power, memory, graphics and expansion capability. That gap has varied a big deal between different "MacPro" equivalents up through the years.

With Apple setting the high volume Mac max RAM capacity at 16GB , a system with a 160GB Max would still be an order magnitude larger. If with LDDR5 that goes to 32GB then 320GB would still be that kind of gap.

If Apple shoots for something like in the ballpark of 640GB they probably won't "miss" much of their target audience at all. ( when the DDR density "norm" got to 64GB on the lowest Mac models they'd still be an order of magnitude up) . I suspect they have an idea of what they need to do to get to the 90th ( or 95th or 98th ) percentile of users. There was some "free" ( well at least almost "free" for Apple , seriously not so "free" to end users ) to cover 1.5TB RAM ceiling. They took it because it was there ( and it put wads more money in their pocket) , probably not because they were really looking for it.

I'd be surprised if Apple reduced the gap too far though. I think what the shift is going to reveal is what Apple thinks the gap should be as opposed to what the rest of the market (plus the server market ) thought it should be. Apple's view is likely more align with single user workstations.

Reactions: R3k

StuAff

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2007
Portsmouth, UK
Given the performance advance that the M1 SoC has over the Intel CPUs in the machines it has now replaced, it would not be an unreasonable assumption to suggest the AS Mac Pro (possibly plural, if the Bloomberg report is accurate) will be to the 7,1 what the 1,1 was to the Power Mac G5 Quad. Considerably faster for the same price or less. It won't be the bargain the 1,1 was, sadly…but never mind. FWIW, I hope/expect there to be at least the same expansion capability as the 7,1 on the high end. Given the emphasis Apple has placed on listening to its high-end customers, and being seen to meet their needs, going back to just four slots (or fewer), less max RAM, lower GPU capability…would be a self-inflicted PR and sales disaster far beyond the 6,1's failures.

profdraper

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2017
Brisbane, Australia
It takes expandability to a whole new level (for a Mac), especially consider memory and graphics.

But after it?

The M1 SoC hints about the future. Very efficient and powerful single chip systems, in line with previous Apple ARM development.

Come on ... *every* piece of this consumer tech is a 'dead end' ... eg: come back in 10 years. In the meantime, enjoy, make nice things, do good. emm .. in the case of Apple, 'come back in three years', that's what they want.

Reactions: IA64

Varmann

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 3, 2010
Come on ... *every* piece of this consumer tech is a 'dead end' ... eg: come back in 10 years.
Of course, if you look at it that way.

For me it was more of.... putting loads of development and special engineering into a system that just lasts one generation, and that to very little extent is reused in future products. Like the 6.1, the Cube, IIfx etc.

deconstruct60

macrumors G5
Mar 10, 2009
For me it was more of.... putting loads of development and special engineering into a system that just lasts one generation, and that to very little extent is reused in future products.

Little reuse ? . The rumor of 5he half sized Mac Pro could reuse a hefty portion of this system . If the half simply just comes from chopping the vertical tower height in half :

If it keeps one MPX bay then all the MPX R&D is still being used .

if keep plug in Power supply blade ... largely reuse . ( should not be hard to go from 1400 W done to 700-850 W in same form factor )

T2 NAND Storeage cards ... reuse ( probably . Appears M1 is still using PCI-e v3 spped SSD controller )

Fans ( 2 instead of 3 and tweaked back slide blower) .. pretty close to total reuse .

I/o card .. reuse the USB and audio parts .
( thunderbolt might get simpler if using intgergrated controllers in SoC . Like USB basically just PHYSICAL re-driver to condition signal for physical port )

Upper/ front ports I/O board similar to back I/O board in reuse .

Space frame ... just shorter vertical tubes .. the rest the same . .. Pretty much total reuse .
Can keep the same grossly over priced wheels .
The drive caddy mount point is just a couple of screws that don’t need to change ... reuse .

The twist off handle ..resuse .
WiFi antenna modules at grab handes’ base ... reuse

Speaker module on backside ...likely reuse .( if clear out the RAM DIMMs to frontside )

CDC hole pattern drilling ... the same over a smaller front .
1 or 2. 10GbE ports ... pretty much reuse

Server case would need some bracket supplement . Maybe so can put two in side by side . But the slide out rails ... the same .

yeah have to pay for some new manufacturing jigs for the case production and layout a simpler board .but that isn’t some huge cost .
The logic board would need new layout if went with next gen Intel or AMD workstation CPU package ( new socket and PCH ) .

If the new Mac Pro M-series SoC can provision a subset of the PCI-e lanes fill the needs for I/O don’t have to make major changes Similarly if SoC can take the MPX DiplayPport streams and mux them into the embedded Thunderbolt controller then just implement in a different way . ( older pre SoC/integrated circuit boards are always have more stuff . Not “wasted“ R&D to design for integration levells at the moment . If wait they all get better over time ) .

slicing slots 3-7 off the board doesn’t remove most of the R&D .

the big R&D cost is doing the SoC ... which, if dump both Intel and AMD, is a task they signed themselves up for .

If Apple only makes SoCs that has just x16 or less PCI-e lanes provisioned to the logic board .. then yeah the Mac Pro was somewhat a waste of time and effort from a reuse perspective.

Grumply

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
The M1 is literally the complete opposite end of the desktop computer spectrum. You could not get two more different design intents.

So I really don't think it's worth reading much into their differences. No one buying one is even considering the other as an option.

Varmann

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 3, 2010
Little reuse ? . The rumor of 5he half sized Mac Pro could reuse a hefty portion of this system .
Yes, I really hope so. The "dead end" is a worst case scenario, but I am prepared for that.
Since the 7.1 is such a promising new start I hope is that Apple not only builds a halfsized version but also the full one. It certainly deserves that.

toke lahti

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2007
Helsinki, Finland
Well, it depends where you compare it.
cMP (2006-2012) was far more expandable and affordable.
All ports and slots were standard. No proprietary gimmicks with cards and storage.

These days, it is considered a miracle that there's a mac, where user can change the storage or even have multiple internal storages and even boot different os's from different internal storages. Both apple and m$ are doing their best not to let people boot any os from any external storage.
Apple gets their best premium from storage, so it's naturally soldered and you have to buy a huge internal storage, if you want to use multiple os'es. Even with "desktop" model.

All these years, all the problems with gpu driver inefficiency and now the solution seems to be "no dgpu". How many years did it take apple to support dp1.2? Still in 2020 you had to buy a mac without dp1.4. Do these m1-macs support dp1.4? Or even 2.0? Does apple even tell these things?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.