Is 70% faster a big deal?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by satchmo, Sep 20, 2017.

1. satchmo macrumors 68020

Would love to hear from seasoned Series 2 owners.
    Have you found it unbearably slow for basic use. Or any specific applications where it really could use the increased 70% faster.

Most reviews I seen so far indicate the load time from startup is significant. But I wouldn't think that would be a big deal since it's not often done.

2. TwitchyPuppy macrumors member

TwitchyPuppy

It is! It’s considerable. If it were 15%, I would’ve said no

3. matrix07 macrumors 601

matrix07

My Nike S2 runs OS4 pretty smoothly so I don't miss that 70% at all. I just want LTE. :p

4. Mabus51 macrumors 65816

As a S0 owner any increase in performance is a big deal. Goes from being a hassle to a device that actually does something. I found the original watch to be more hassle to use than was benefiting my life. Outside of getting notifications on my wrist instead of my pocket everything was a hassle to use and took less time to just pull the phone out.

5. Vermifuge macrumors 68000

Vermifuge

I came here to say this. Yeah the s0 is almost useless for anything but its passive functions. try loading more than a few apps and it chugs.

6. satchmo thread starter macrumors 68020

I'm sure the difference in speed between S3 and S0 is significant.
    But what about S2?

7. tkukoc macrumors 65816

tkukoc

I've seen really no reason to upgrade from S2 to S3. I don't want LTE so I'd only be interested in the GPS/S3...but there's no reviews yet showing application loading times. If real world work on the watch = 70% quicker then I might bite on one but with the new rumored form factored apple watch coming next year, I'm willing to wait on it.

8. python0704 macrumors regular

python0704

Just upgrade my S2 to OS4, a little lag noticed, but generally runs good for now.

9. Mabus51 macrumors 65816

S2 to S3 shouldn’t be that much more of a difference. I believe Apple mentioned 20% in the keynote.

10. WilliamG macrumors G3

Apple said 70% faster than Series 2...

I’m just really hoping Siri response times are dramatically reduced compared to my Series 0. I’ll find out Friday!

11. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

What I am looking most forward to is Siri verbally answering me when I use it. For this one thing, it was worth the upgrade for me.

12. Mabus51 macrumors 65816

Oh not sure where I got 20% from then. :D

13. daijholt macrumors 65816

daijholt

Apple's exact wording was "it's up to 70% faster". They didn't specify what watch it was 70% faster than. I assumed it to be 70% faster than series 0, as Series 2 is already quite a nippy watch, and 70% faster than that would be a significant leap forward. I can't find any literature that actually specifies one way or another though, so we'll just have to wait until Friday to find out for sure.

14. Vermifuge macrumors 68000

Vermifuge

I looked through the apple site and didn't read a metric for the 70% faster remark. However apple has historically compared numbers to previous generations of the hardware. In all likely hood its 70% faster than the Series 2. But tes apple doesn't specially state this in there own documentation. 9 to 5 mac did say previous generation but without citation.

15. WilliamG macrumors G3

“Both models have the new S3 dual-core processor which Apple says makes Series 3 up to 70% faster than Series 2. What that looks like in practice for me is over a minute faster boot up time (1 minute 20 seconds versus 2 minutes 26 seconds), the ability to reliably use the Home app to control HomeKit accessories, and seeing text transcripts when using Siri and dictation in real time. Those improvements paired with the general zippiness of the system makes my Apple Watch Series 2 feel laggy in comparison and the first generation Apple Watch feel down right broken.”

https://9to5mac.com/2017/09/20/review-apple-watch-series-3/

16. woozor1 macrumors regular

70% faster in anything sounds a big deal to me

17. Vermifuge macrumors 68000

Vermifuge

Please read my unedited post again. I checked Apple.com for a clear metric on the site but didn't find one. I even stated i found the SAME article you are referencing that says "over previous generation." However, 9 to 5 Mac does not provide a citation and it is difficult for me to use it in any discussion as fact. I agree with you, and 9 t 5 mac but concede it's not enough to claim the statement as fact.

18. madgalaxy macrumors regular

Let me help you with that: https://www.apple.com/newsroom/2017/09/apple-watch-series-3-features-built-in-cellular-and-more/

19. WilliamG macrumors G3

20. Vermifuge macrumors 68000

Vermifuge

Please look over my two posts. I found that page and clearly does say 70 % faster, It just doesn't say 70% faster compared to ____. No metrix to work with.

This is what I said "However apple has historically compared numbers to previous generations of the hardware. In all likely hood its 70% faster than the Series 2."

But that's not fact, that's an assumption and you know what they say about assumptions... Its not about being a "naysayer' It's about debate and facts. and right now theres nothing from apple that says this clearly.

21. basher macrumors 6502

basher

I'm running WatchOS 4 on a series 0 with zero issues. Apps and scrolling are smooth. It does take a little while at times for an app to launch, but once it cached it reacts very fast.

22. edhchoe macrumors 6502a

edhchoe

20% faster would be a big deal to me. Whopping 70% is a huge deal.

23. rattler macrumors regular

I’m looking forward to this. My S2 watch is annoyingly slow sometimes. Even in the native messages app, it takes several seconds for the emojis pane to populate.

24. Fynd macrumors 6502

S2 to me was super close to good performance but not quite there, so there was times using it i’d think about it. I’d imagine a 70% boost on that will feel perfect.

25. twennywonn macrumors regular

This is huge I have a series 2 and the home app is very slow.