Is $850 too much?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ztark, May 25, 2007.

1. ztark macrumors member

I recently won an auction on ebay for a macbook 1.83 Core Duo, 512 mb memory, 60 gig hard drive, Combo drive for $850. It is being sold by a seller who claims to be a Best Buy Outlet store (excellent ratings). The item is opened and is reported to "be in working order."

I know that some of you ebayers hate guys like me who bid on an item and then have second thoughts...but I'm only in the market for a macbook for grad school this fall and have never used ebay before. I noticed that amazon has the same model macbook(new) for $999.

Any advice?

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I'd lurk around Apple refurbs first. You're running close to getting a Core 2 1.83 GHz machine for that price.

3. Airforce macrumors 6502a

Airforce

Whew, mine is a 2ghz core duo model with 512MB, 60GB hard drive as well....didn't think it was worth that much still! :D

4. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Ya.... send the money and complete your auction. You got what you bid for.

5. alwaysaangel macrumors regular

Aren't you legally obligated to buy it at this point? I mean what are you going to do? Just refuse to pay?

6. Mantronix macrumors regular

You should of tried the mac refurbished store first or spend the extra $200 or so for a new macbook. If I was you I would of done the latter. Certain items I don't believe in buying 2nd hand and computers are one of them.

7. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

Its a fair price for what you're getting. Yes you could have got a newer model if you'd spent a bit more and waited on the Refurbished Store but you're not paying too much for what it is. Its still a good deal and besides which, by law, you have to go through with the deal now.

8. Mantronix macrumors regular

I believe so. From what I was told once you bid and win it's like a binding contract. I've never retracted on a Ebay auction and I'm not sure if you can get around it.

9. ztark thread starter macrumors member

I have been lurking around ebay looking for good deals for several weeks and my understanding is that many users end up not paying on winning bids. The result is a negative remark on your profile. I honestly don't care about my ebay profile...like I said, this is the first time that I have used it. I know that it is not a good thing to bid on something and then not follow through, but $850 is a lot of money to me and if it would be better for me to just save for a bit longer and get a new/refurbished computer, then I'll be doing that.

10. Lancetx macrumors 68000

Lancetx

Quite frankly, you should have thought about that before you ever bid in the first place, so use this experience as a lesson so it doesn't ever happen again. Do the right thing, contact the seller and let them know you're having second thoughts. Maybe they'll work with you since it seems to be a retailer in this particular instance. But try to put yourself in the place of the seller. I'm sure you wouldn't like it very much if someone refused to pay for something you sold, ya know?

11. alwaysaangel macrumors regular

It would be better for you to complete the business transaction you agreed to. This thread should have been brought up before you bid. But you didn't.

Technically the seller could send collections agencies after you. He probably wouldn't but he legally could, because you essentially signed a contract that you are now renigging on.

Frankly, I wish more sellers would go to the expensive of going after people like you, and maybe there would be fewer of you.

12. ztark thread starter macrumors member

I hear you and, yes, I would not be happy if someone bid on an item that I was selling and then didn't complete the transaction.

So I sent an email to the seller asking if they would consider canceling this transaction. I'll see what they say. I understand that this is something that I should have been thinking of BEFORE bidding, but as I said, I'm new to ebay and I'm afraid that I made a mistake. Over the past few weeks I have bid on dozens of Macbooks. I have been frustrated by the fact that I'll be winning a bid on a good computer with all the features I want and then during the last minute of bidding the price will jump by $200-$300. I was actually shocked when I got the email that I had won the bid. Either way, I've definitely learned my lesson from this experience. Don't hate!!!

13. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

Auctions *always* go sky high right at the end. By pulling out of an auction after winning it, you've wasted the seller's time and money. Time because they'll now have to relist the item and wait a week or however long they set it to for the auction to complete again. Money because they will have paid to list the item. The biggest problem is the time wasted, if this had been an individual selling it, they might really *need* the money, hence why they put it on eBay for a quick sale.
    I'm sorry but people like you should be ashamed of yourselves. So you bought a machine that you didn't really want. Is that the seller's fault? No. Its *your* fault. Do the right thing, pay for the machine and if you really don't feel comfortable with it, put it back on eBay and learn your lesson.

14. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

Apple's refurb section sells this same Macbook config for $51 less. They do sell out quickly, but usually return a day or two later when the store is restocked.

Refurbished MacBook 1.83GHz Intel Core Duo - White, 512MB memory, 60GB hard drive, Combo drive -- price: $799.00 w/Free Shipping

I guess I should buy a dozen and put them on Ebay with a "buy now" sticker @ $999.95

15. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

i don't know about you, but apple charges me tax on products. a refurb $799 macbook would end up costing me $866.92, practically the same cost as the best buy auction.

16. rmhop81 macrumors 68020

rmhop81

this is why ebay needs to implement a better policy regarding non paying bidders. You decide you don't want the laptop and the guy has to wait 2 weeks to get his refund of fees back. Then he has to waste more time and relist the computer again and pay more fees and also probably lose out on money. I sold a laptop on ebay and the person kept making excuses and ended up not paying. I was charged $20 for fees and had to wait 2 weeks to get them back. Then I relisted it and it went for $150 cheaper than the first time. ALL bc the person just didn't want it anymore. It's sad their are people out there that just do that to people. Do a little research before you bid on ebay. Ebay isn't a game. It's real life people that you are wasting their time and money.

17. RojoLeo macrumors 6502

If you don't decide to go through with the auction, simply offer to pay for the relisting fee for the seller.

Yes, it sucks for the seller. Yes, you should think about this beforehand.

On that note though, that's why I try not to deal with people with 0 feedback.

Consider it a lesson learned, slap on the wrist, but don't beat yourself up over it. I think some people here are just letting out some bottled aggression.

18. ztark thread starter macrumors member

Wonderful advise. Thanks for the thoughtful reply.

19. ReanimationLP macrumors 68030

ReanimationLP

Who was the seller account/name?

Link to the auction?

I work at Best Buy, and can tell you if thats really us or not, as I can pull up our guide on our Outlet auctions. (It tells us what ebay IDs we use, and what to do if someone trys to return stuff to the store)

20. ztark thread starter macrumors member

Seller: Best_Buy_Outlet

Link: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...MEWN:IT&viewitem=&item=160118122690&rd=1&rd=1

They have great feedback history 98.8% positive

21. taylorwilsdon macrumors 68000

taylorwilsdon

People like you make me sick, Ztark. If you back out on the auction, I would be overjoyed if the seller took the initiative to pay the fees instead of disputing with eBay and then sent the balance to a collections agency against your name.

Infact, I think I'll suggest it to him. You ruin eBay. You are the reason that sellers hate eBay.

22. RojoLeo macrumors 6502

You need to relax. Yes, he should have thought about this more beforehand, but it is much better for him to make it right now rather than trying to return it later (it is a retailer) or breaking his bank to reconcile.

As mentioned above, the best thing he can do is be honest with the seller and offer to compensate for relisting fees.

23. taylorwilsdon macrumors 68000

taylorwilsdon

This is a very sore subject for me. I have 57 feedback on eBay. I have 22 "unpaid item strikes" filed against buyers of my items. That means that I've had to relist almost half of the items I've ever sold. It has nothing to do with funds, I could afford to keep all my things and I'm sure Best Buy doesn't mind. It just drives me crazy that jerks like this guy can just do what they please without any consequences.

So, no, I won't relax.

24. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

One thing to note with that auction is that its got a Superdrive rather than the Combo drive that was standard on that model so its already a better buy. It is an outlet store so it won't be the end of the world to the seller if they have to relist, whoever's doing the listing is probably being payed to do it anyway. This really isn't a bad deal, its a good laptop from a good retailer.

The quote above for a "Refurbished MacBook 1.83GHz Intel Core Duo - White, 512MB memory, 60GB hard drive, Combo drive -- price: $799.00 w/Free Shipping" direct from Apple is for the Core Duo version and is without a superdrive. This model is newer, is Core 2 Duo (faster and 64 bit if you care about such things) and has a Superdrive. Admittedly it'll have slightly less time left on the Applecare but it'll only be a few months worth of difference and you'll still be able to extend the Applecare.
    The model you've won on auction is very comparable to the current base model MacBook. Yes it has a slightly slower CPU, however, to make up for it, it has a Superdrive.

Edit: Whatever you do, please, for the love of all that is good and holy in this world, don't do this again and if you do bail on the deal, make sure you realise how naughty you've been and tell all your friends never to make the same mistake again. As you have probably gathered, people *hate* this kind of stuff. I've got a ton of stuff that I'll be flogging on eBay next week. Some items are big and get in the way and I need them shot by the end of term when I'll be moving everything back home. I can't take this stuff with me so if someone like you does this to me then I'll be in a real mess and incredibly angry.

Edit 2: That $999 model you've found on eBay doesn't have the Superdrive either. In a laptop a superdrive is probably worth roughly an extra $50. So basically you're getting a $1050 worth model for $850. Sounds like a good deal to me.

25. rmhop81 macrumors 68020

rmhop81

he's right though....people like him make people stray away from ebay. It's one thing i know i hate when selling on ebay. I am a powerseller so i sell a lot of stuff and this happens more then it should and nothing is done about it. There's always some excuse why someone doesn't want to pay. All he'll do is give a neg and this guy will go create another name and do it again......