Is a 15" Retina Macbook Pro too big to carry around a college campus?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Mr. RPG, Jun 14, 2013.

1. Mr. RPG macrumors 6502a

Just curious..

Also, do I still get the one-year warranty if I purchase from Amazon?

If I get the 13" model.. I'm going with Amazon since I'm not taxed there. With Apple's Store I'll be paying like $120 I think... even with education discount it will be around $1500 and on Amazon it's only $1419..

2. kis macrumors 65816

Depends on how strong you are and how much your back can take :)

No, seriously: it's not very heavy but it's fairly bulky and feels heavy. It was definitely too much for me and I got a 13 inch in addition to my 15" that I use as a desktop replacement now.

Also, unless you do lots of photo editing, I'd argue that the additional screen size isn't worth the money. Just for browsing the web and writing papers, there won't be a difference as most people won't run their applications in full-screen mode anyway on the 15"

3. iPoopeh macrumors regular

iPoopeh

If a girl like me can carry a 6lb+ 15'' Laptop for four years during High school, then I'm more than sure you can carry a 4lb rMBP. :]

As for the warranty, it all depends if you're getting it used from a seller or if the seller is "Apple" themselves.

4. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

to be honest with you…I thought my one month old 15" rMBP was light to carry than my old 2007 MBP but I am wrong it is bit heavy. But I love this retina display and Qaud core cpu anyway. I think you should get Haswell based 13" MacBook Air. :apple:

5. glenthompson macrumors 68000

glenthompson

More important than the weight may be how much desk space you will have in classes when you want to use it.

6. Augustine864 macrumors regular

If you're made of straw, yes.

If you're a human being, no.

7. devilcm3 macrumors 6502a

this.

i find it ridiculous when girls can carry a 15" but boys complain about how "heavy" it is. :rolleyes:

8. bobcan macrumors 6502a

bobcan

Hmmmm..

Hmmmm..

You clearly are NOT 'Chuck Norris'.. Nope..

:D

9. Mr. RPG, Jun 14, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2013

Mr. RPG thread starter macrumors 6502a

I plan on programming and testing my Mac games on it and I may play some Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn (if it ever comes to Mac) so the dGPU sounds really good to me (AND it make the rMBP 15" last a while right?)

That's a stereotype! I'm not a strong guy. :(

and the seller is Amazon themselves and it's new. So do I get the one-year warranty?

The reason I want to get it from Amazon is because of tax. Even though it is $1399 at Apple Store with education pricing, tax brings it to around $1520 or so and if the BTS promo is just another $100 itunes card it will just be around $1420.. so yeah.

A good display is crucial for me. No way. :(

I can't and don't want to wait anymore. Early July is the longest I could possibly wait. and I go to school this August..

I don't really know, but would you say the 15" is too big for desks?

Good thing I'm not either. :)

10. iPoopeh macrumors regular

iPoopeh

Hey I'm not the strongest girl either! :p But don't worry, you'll be fine. The gorgeous display is worth it in the end!

Yes you get the one-year warranty. I double checked myself to make sure. If you scroll down you'll see it under "Limited Warranty And Service", just in case you want to see it for yourself! And yeah I understand why you're looking at the Amazon deal... I'm thinking about doing that myself unless Apple gives us iPad Mini's this year. :rolleyes: [not happening.]

11. Mr. RPG thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'm sure you are xD and I hope I can get it. :( I may have to stick with the 13"..

So this starts warranty starts as soon as I buy it right?

I don't think I'm going to wait for the Back to School promo this year. It's taking so long. If they don't announce it this monday, then forget it. :(

What do you need a 13" rMBP for when you have a 15"?

12. James Craner macrumors 68000

James Craner

Gawd, you young people these days. I can remember when portability improvements meant that you did not have to carry this around with you,

images.jpeg

because you now had one of these :

images-1.jpeg

If you really can't manage a rMBP then you need to spend more time in the gym :)

13. kis macrumors 65816

I do lots of photo editing at home - and I personally think the 15" is way too bulky to carry around all day. It's not really the weight - if the laptop's the only thing in your bag, go for it. I just found it more problematic to fit folders etc. in my bag together with the 15" model.

14. iPoopeh macrumors regular

iPoopeh

Yep! As soon as you order it, your warranty starts.

Yes... I thought the BTS Promo starts on the same day as WWDC or a few days after... But so far, nothing... =/ I'm very curious to see what they offer this year though.

I personally don't see much use in a 13'' rMBP. Besides the smaller form factor with the same great screen. Too small for my taste and the lack of a dGPU.

15. Mr. RPG thread starter macrumors 6502a

Are we talking about the 13" or 15" here? :p:p

I wish I knew how heavy it was.. 4 /12 pounds right..? What's a common household item thats that size? :p

Agh.. The 13" rMBP at Amazon is from 2012... and it looks like the one from the Apple Store online is from 2012 too, since it has a 2.5 processor instead of a 2.6 processor? Where the hell do you get early 2013 rMBPs lol
    Date First Available October 23, 2012

16. Greene1123 macrumors member

The size/weight between the air and the pro is so small imo that it all comes down to what you need. Air is for small tasks like Office, web, photos, and maybe a little photoshop. Pro is for adobe, CAD, video, and bigger apps.

17. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

I personally like the 13", but I started college 4 years ago before retina, and I'm a history major. In any case, supposedly the 15" rMBP is comparable to the 13" cMBP in weight.

I would personally look at the specs more than size. I'm happy with a 13", and my best friend who's an art major likes her 15".

18. kis macrumors 65816

Definitely go for an early 2013 model - for whatever reason, I don't have any kind of lag on mine. I had to return a 2012 model for a screen issue - and that one was laggy like h***.

As for the weight: the 15" weighs exactly the same as the non-retina 13" MBP, if that helps. But again, it's the size, not the weight that prevents me from wanting to carry it around all day.

19. Mr. RPG thread starter macrumors 6502a

Wait, so why are you getting a 13" then? o:

$1746.91 is what I would have to pay for for a 15" rMBP refurbished model.. How the hell am I going to tell my parents to get me that.. T____T;;

----------

I can't. Apple Store doesn't carry 13" models that were made in 2013 and the cheapest 15" model is a refurbished model from Apple that was made in June 2012.

20. zackkmac macrumors 6502a

No. My 15" rMBP is a relief to carry around campus. Very lightweight.

21. kis macrumors 65816

The biggest difference between the Air and the rMBP is the screen. The Air has a lousy screen (sorry, don't know how else to describe it), even when compared to its PC competitors. Low-contrast, bad viewing angles, washed-out colors, low color-accuracy. I'd only recommend it to the budget-conscious.

22. iPoopeh macrumors regular

iPoopeh

Oh I'm not! xD I'm getting a 15'' rMBP. It's required for Art Majors.

And it all comes down to what your Major is actually? Are you a student like myself that will be doing a lot of Photoshop, Illustrator, Flash, etc.? Or are you the Major that spends most of their time on Microsoft Word/Excel? c:

And what I'm doing is paying for half of my computer, but then again, I have a part time job to help pay for my rMBP [I'm not getting a refurbished, paying a full $2,100 since I'm putting 16gb of Ram in the low-end base model. :c]

23. kis macrumors 65816

Just wait a couple of days - perhaps they'll get some newer ones in again. I bought my 15" in October 2012. That one doesn't have the lag issues but I had to get the screen exchanged because it had the ghosting problem and the exploding pixel issue. I had to return another one for it, though, because it had a miserable screen and lagged like crazy (same config).

I would NOT buy a 2012 15" unless you're prepared to get the screen exchanged first thing. The ghosting issue was very frequent on these. With the 13" models, that happened very rarely.

24. Mr. RPG thread starter macrumors 6502a

Computer Science major. Programmin'. I want to create Mac and iOS games and test them on Mac. I'd love to use Photoshop and stuff.. but I have no art skills. So would you recommend the 15" or 13" based on what I need?

Ah. I wish I had that kind of cash. I only have like $250.. My parents are paying the rest. I've only asked about getting a 13" at $1399 and my mother thought it was pretty expensive so asking for more.. Heh.

----------

It's a refurb. Aren't these individually inspected by Apple?

http://store.apple.com/us/product/F...-23ghz-quad-core-intel-i7-with-retina-display
    This one.

13" is my last resort.