Is a Apple Silicone case enough protection to go on a tropical vacation with?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by felixroqu3, Sep 19, 2018.

1. felixroqu3 macrumors 6502

felixroqu3

Going to Mexico next week and will be taking the iPhone Max. Really excited to take pictures with the much improved camera. I've heard if sand gets into the case it can scratch the phone pretty badly, is this true? Just wondering if I should buy a different case just for this trip.

2. DNichter macrumors G3

DNichter

Yes, but it leaves the bottom exposed, which I don't like. I took my X to Aruba recently with just a thin Caudabe case and had no issues with sand/scratches. Personally I hate the silicone cases as they get lint/dust on them very easily and are hard to pull in and out of the pocket. I recommend a thin case from Caudabe, Totallee, or Peel, unless you are prone to dropping your phone.

3. peejay1977 macrumors member

peejay1977

I went to the Caribbean 3 times with just a fake leather case on, had no issues! All depends how well you look after it!

4. SaltedV8 macrumors member

I have the silicone and my husband has the leather. I MUCH prefer the silicone because the leather is a little more slippery, to me. The silicone is just "tacky" enough to grip but not so much that it won't slide in and out of my pocket. I have dropped my phone a couple of times afraid it broke the screen but it didn't.

I have taken mine to the Caribbean a few times and it performed perfectly. I think you will be fine. I you are like me, you may be over worrying? Not sure but I plan on getting a silicone case for my Max.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 19, 2018 ---
    This

5. Chevyguy2021 macrumors regular

As long as you keep it out of the water and the sand it will be fine. I have traveled the world with my iPhone x and q silicone case and it's the best combo with a glass screen protector. I love it. Might get the blue one with my new Max

6. vertical smile macrumors 68040

vertical smile

I went to the US VI for a week and didn't bring a case for my iPhone. Nothing happened to it.

Just go naked for a few days.

7. AppleHaterLover macrumors 68000

The bigger risk is you coming back with no iPhone to speak of.

That said, the silicone case IS NOT enough protection. I've seen more than my fair share of iPhones smashed while using these apple cases. The biggest screen-breaker in iPhones is case torsion when the phone corner hits the floor.

The best case I found for impact protection is the one below - yes it's generic and not very pretty but you can find it for $5 at pretty much any mall in the world:[​IMG]

8. TinaBelcher macrumors 6502a

I haven’t been on vacation in a tropical location since Christmas 2015 when I had my iPhone 6, but I kept it in a small plastic zip-bag when I was walking in the desert or hitting the beach. Would only take it out of the bag, when I took pics. Oh, god. I just thought about the Apple Watch.. that would be even harder to protect on a windy day in the desert...

9. PBz macrumors 68020

PBz

Definitely zip-lock bags for times at beach when it isn’t in use.
    A good & inexpensive ‘rugged’ case the Magpul. They don’t overcharge.

When you ‘clean’ the phone/screen in a sandy environment I would blow it off before wiping with any cloth.. and also consider having a cloth in a ziplock bag to keep sand off of it.

10. LS3 POWER macrumors 65816

LS3 POWER

I took mine a few weeks to Cancun in Apple's Silicone case, But it wasnt the Caribbean lol

11. felixroqu3 thread starter macrumors 6502

felixroqu3

Im going to be using it in the water as well. With a strap of course. So with the new IP68 I SHOULD be fine, right?

12. noobinator macrumors 603

noobinator

Bad idea. The rating isn't a guarantee. And the water you will be in isn't standing/still water. Add in salt/sand/pressure/waves and it's a recipe for disaster.

13. LS3 POWER macrumors 65816

LS3 POWER

Put it this way, IP67 is "Supposed to protect for 1.5 meters for 30 minutes. While I was in Cancun I had my X in my bathing suit pocket, totally forgot. Went waist deep in the pool for less than 30 seconds, and then realized it and jumped out.... Phone was done. IP67 "SHOULD" have allowed for that mistake but it didnt.

Remember Apple Care does not cover water damage. I had to pay $99 to get a new one.

14. felixroqu3 thread starter macrumors 6502

felixroqu3

Yikes. Thanks for the advise!

15. Ortiz83 macrumors 6502

Then again, there’s these as well.

So to the original poster, pick your poison.

16. PBz macrumors 68020

PBz

No way I would take an iPhone, even a new one, in salt water.

17. LS3 POWER macrumors 65816

LS3 POWER

Same here, the salt once it dries could actually scratch the screen when you go to clean it.

18. DNichter macrumors G3

DNichter

I personally wouldn't, but yes it SHOULD be fine. We opted for a $200 GoPro instead for the water. Me and my fiancee loved it.

19. jp1212 macrumors member

I've used the silicon and leather cases since the 4s I think. Never had any issues with significant dirt getting between the phone and the case and I've had it on/near the beach countless times. I just don't like the exposed bottom portion of the phone which is why I may choose something else next time around. The only place I've ever chipped a screen is along the bottom. But I will admit I am a bit clumsy with my phones at times. I've used a Speck Candyshell a few times for extra protection but they are way too clunky for me for daily use.

20. felixroqu3 thread starter macrumors 6502

felixroqu3

Apple is now selling this "Otterbox Traction" case that I'm going to look into tomorrow. It doesn't seem bulky in the slightest. If its not bulky I might end up exchanging the green Apple leather case I preordered with the Max.

21. Steve686 macrumors 68040

Steve686

811E0444-0934-4290-A3E8-5DB0A3DDA609.jpeg Not saltwater but I took this picture under water with my X in a lake in Michigan. Make your own choice but I had no issues whatsoever. I scuba dive 2x a week and rinse off the phone with fresh water since we leave our phones on the center console when we go in. Salt is the real enemy, not so much the water itself.

22. blwade macrumors 6502a

I ordered one of these.. it arrived today! I can post some pics later if you want.. I’m afraid I’m not gonna like the specks all over the edges...

23. The Game 161 macrumors P6

The Game 161

24. felixroqu3 thread starter macrumors 6502

felixroqu3

I would really appreciate some pictures! Thanks! You're grand.

25. rockitdog macrumors 68020

Nope, if you're planning to take your phone on any sort of vacation the silicon case won't help you. I def recommend Speck's Presidio line of cases or something more durable.