is a keyboard cover over kill?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by michael31986, Dec 19, 2011.

1. michael31986 macrumors 68030

i was going to get a keyboard cover for my macbook pro, but idk it might be overkill. I already have a clear see thru speck case! just asking for opinions and if you guys recommend any certain keyboard covers? also can you notice its on. is it a big difference.

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I always just used a microfiber sheet between the keys and screen when I had my PowerBook, nothing with my Air because it had that glass screen. As for protecting the keys, nothing for me as the feeling was way too odd for me to ever really get used to.

3. Satnam1989 macrumors 65816

I personally think its worth it....I got one on my keyboard....1) keeps the keys from catching the "Shiny Key" disease 2) keeps dust from getting under 3) protects from minor spills....id rather clean the cover for any minor spill then be running to this forum and cry out about how the liquid got in under the keys n my $1500 MBP goin into trash n etc etc like a bunch of people on here lately....considering the cases from ebay only cost a few bucks....well worth saving $100+

oh any I didn't buy my keyboard case extra it came with the hard plastic case that covers the lid and the bottom which I bought off of eBay for $17.50 from a Hong Kong seller...goodluck hope I provided you with top 3 reasons to go for it:)

As for the feel of the keyboard with cover....took me about 2 weeks and now I feel very comfortable with typing on it and still typing super fast as I did without the cover.

4. michael31986 thread starter macrumors 68030

the keys will always get that shiny look after extended use right? i mean idk i had a sony vaio and keys never changed to much.

5. Satnam1989 macrumors 65816

Ya they will get shiny...sadly few of my most used keys started getting shiny in the first two weeks since I type a lot.....and luckily my hard plastic case+keyboard protector came just in time to save it from getting worse, but I am extremely happy with the way things turned out(Macbook Pro with all my upgrades, case, keyboard protector) as this is my first ever Mac.

6. theipadkid macrumors newbie

moshi makes a nice keboard cover well worth it

7. bdodds1985 macrumors 6502a

bdodds1985

got the moshi one as well. feels a little funny at first and you kind of get used to it but lately i found myself taking it off when im typing for longer periods. however, it is worth it. ive seen things fall or collect right on top of the cover (dust and stuff). so i know it helps. just gotta get used to it and its really not that bad

8. Mojo1 macrumors 65816

UGH: no keyboard cover for me. It affects the feel of the keyboard. I use RadTech OmniCleanz and a RadTech keyboard cover to protect the display.

Keyboards get a bit dirty with use but regular cleaning keeps it looking good. Accept that using a computer means it will pick up a bit of dirt in the process. No Big Deal.

9. TheJing macrumors 6502a

TheJing

We all have different opinions. Personally, I think it's worth it. I have one on both my computers and I got used to them after a few hours.

10. drambuie macrumors 6502a

I use my MBP mainly at home, where it's mainly on a Rain mStand. I use the Apple full size wired keyboard, so the MBP's keyboard has minimal use. In addition to the convenience of the extra keys, I think the wired keyboard is good insurance. Spill something on it, and you're only out $49, or $69 if you use the bluetooth keyboard.

11. Mojo1 macrumors 65816

Yes, we all have opinions. So what is your point exactly?

12. theipadkid macrumors newbie

that ur opinoon iw WRONG

13. daonesteven macrumors 6502

bro take a deep breath and read his post again. He didn't mean anything you thought it initially meant.

As to the response to the topic, I agree with you. I had a keyboard protector initially but I discovered the joy of typing without it and I can't use it anymore.

14. TheJing macrumors 6502a

TheJing

That we all have different opinions...? What part do you not understand?

15. rault18 macrumors member

rault18

I tried it and can't use one..just doesn't feel natural for me but Im worry free as I have spill insurance

16. Elevon macrumors regular

I dont understand why it would be 'overkill', in the end you are trying to keep a $1000+ mbp in nice condition.

For keyboard skin cover, I would suggest Moshi due to its popularity and good reviews, but personally any would do, I'm currently using a 'brand less' skin and it works just as good, keeping the dirt away. Not sure about spills but definitely go for Moshi if you want reliability =]

17. happle macrumors 6502a

i actually prefer the feel of a keyboard cover now after getting used to it. also if you have a 7200 rpm drive in the optibay a keyboard cover reduces the sound by a noticeable amount.

18. molala macrumors 6502a

Been using Moshi on two laptops for over 2 years now. It does catch dust and I feel less worried about having liquids near the laptop. As for the feel, I got used to it in a few hours.

19. Elevon macrumors regular

IMO the keyboard skin is something you start using and it will be hard to go back again, you get use to typing on the (k)skin that when you take it off, everything just feel so out of place when typing. :eek:

20. happle macrumors 6502a

yup that and i can't stand the slippery hard feel of the keys anymore. now I'm so used to the slightly softer rubbery feel. i honestly like it better.

21. Mojo1 macrumors 65816

So just as I thought, there was no point... excepting stating the obvious. :rolleyes:

22. TheJing macrumors 6502a

TheJing

You're a genius.

23. Akack macrumors 6502a

24. Mojo1 macrumors 65816

A keyboard condom is too anal-compulsive for my taste, and I am the type of person who tends to go to significant lengths to protect my Macs... I have used a variety of portable Macs during the past 15 years and I have never had a keyboard problem caused my dirt.

Computers are meant to be used; they are not rare museum artifacts. They will pick up some dirt and scratches along the way but if you take reasonably good care of a computer grime will be kept to a minimum. I just sold a 3 year old 15" MBP and it was in mint condition. All it took to maintain its good looks was regular cleaning with OmniCleanz, a Radtech keyboard cover and a nice sleevecase when away from my office.

25. snazzyiphoneguy macrumors member

true but when one spends 2 grand on a computer, theres pride in keeping ur expensive investment in mint condition.

also how much did u sell ur 3 year old macbook pro for?