Is A Mac Pro Worthwhile For A Student?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by NickD, Jul 21, 2007.

1. NickD macrumors 6502a

NickD

I've been looking at purchasing a mac pro for quite a while now, but have always been slightly frightened of the price tag, so I wanted to bring the question to you guys.

I'm a student in high school, and have been running and independent media creation studio for a couple years now. I photograph and film events for people, as well as editing other people's images and video, compiling DVD's, slideshows, etc., and doing other small media jobs (converting VHS to DVD and such).

I've quickly outgrown the processing power and maximum RAM specs on my 20" Core Duo iMac, and have been looking for a new machine. Of course, the Mac Pro came immediately to mind. The upgradability and processing power is perfect for the work I do in Photoshop and Final Cut, but the price may be a little high.

I do realize that this computer may last me many years, but I need to know whether it would be worth it to purchase a Mac Pro in my scenario.

What do you all think?

NickD

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

You'll more then likely make up for the price in work done on it.

I repaid my iMac significantly by doing audio/visual work with it.

3. hayduke macrumors 65816

hayduke

Before I read your post, my answer was "no." Having read your post you are in a relatively unique position. Because you are running a business and generating revenue from your hardware I think you can reasonably calculate whether or not the purchase is justified. You can estimate just how much faster your new machine might be (look for on-line benchmark scores). If the new machine is twice as fast, will you really be able to do twice as much work? Or will you do the same amount of work in half the time? My point is that in some cases hardware is relatively cheap. If you are doing enough work then you might pay off the machine within a few jobs. In that case it is probably justified.

The other consideration, of course, is the timing of your purchase. In general you want to wait as long as you can because machines depreciate in value and the newest machines are typically better. HTH.

4. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

I'd say yes, but you don't need a maxed out machine. A quad-core 2.0 or 2.66 will do you fine with 4GB of ram. You definitely don't need a 8-core with 16GB and a nvidia quadro, but a 2.66GHz with 4GB of ram and the ATi card would suit you nicely.

You can probably get a decent amount for your iMac too which could help pay for it.

Also, what year in high school are you? Consider the fact that if you're going to be a senior, you'll probably be going to college next year and will probably want a laptop. Would the Macbook Pro + external monitor offer you enough of a power increase so you would also be able to use it for your first couple years of college?

5. SDAVE macrumors 68040

SDAVE

If you're making money, go for it....like someone else said in this thread, you don't need an 8 Core unless you're doing heavy compositing or 3d animation. A Quad Core is MORE than enough and it is fast as hell already.

6. flappo macrumors regular

don't bother with the x1900 , the 7300 is good enough for normal work imo , plus it's lovely and quiet :)

save up for some decent video cards that may arrive soon

( i'm starting to sound like suneohair and multimedia now )

7. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Student = Games.

Generalise? Me? Surely you jest!

8. tribe3 macrumors 6502

You can do all that on a iMac or a MacBook Pro (or lesser computers too), but since you like computers and you already put your eye on the MP go for it.

I do some photo for $$ but it's not my main income source. I was doing my jobs OK with my MBP but since I don't need this photo-money to pay my bills I use it to upgrade my gear.

9. JHacker macrumors 6502

JHacker

Because you're doing legitimate work on the machine, I'd say absolutely go for it. Not only will it bring you happiness but it will bring you income.

Having a little audio/video side business in college to make some extra $ is going to be very nice for you.

10. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

I think a nice iMac would do just fine....also do you already have a screen for the Mac Pro?

Personally I'd wait until Aug 7th, in hopes that new iMacs come,and see if they are any good

11. Jeremy Gray macrumors regular

If you have the money to buy a Mac Pro, I say go for it regardless of whether or not you need it. Sheesh, it's a great machine, and even if you don't take full advantage of its power, you'll be glad you got it. I bet most of the people on here that say it's only worth it if you use all these high-tech programs don't even use them that often.

12. NickD thread starter macrumors 6502a

NickD

Thanks so much for the replies everyone. After listening to what you all have to say, I'm just gonna keep on saving. Still aiming for a MP, but if a great new iMac revision or a good deal on a MBP sways my choice, I'll pick that up.

Just saving for now.

13. kusanagi macrumors regular

If you are running a completely legitamite business (registered and all) you could also claim the mac pro as a business related expense and get a % off your tax refund.

14. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

Absolutely yes to the Mac pro. You will recoup the cost so "go for it" .. :)

15. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

We bought a Mac Pro for our 6th grade daughter with a 23inch display. She loves it and we expect it to last her all the way through High School. Sometimes its better to buy a really good system and use it for many years than keep buying less expensive (and sometimes less functional) systems multiple times through out the years. We really like the ability to upgrade the RAM and disks and of course OS X.

It you can swing it, go Pro.

Cheers,

16. termina3 macrumors 65816

I bet she loves it! (or rather, she better :) !) Also, it will last her through High School–even if she starts a design company, she'll do anything with ease.

17. ricgnzlzcr macrumors 6502a

ricgnzlzcr

18. aethelbert macrumors 601

me too! or...you could just buy me a Mac Pro for no reason! I think that I might even be able to make it with a 32" ACD! :D

19. slughead macrumors 68040

slughead

I was gonna say that!

But I don't change my gender for anything less than an 8 core.

20. termina3 macrumors 65816

Dyslexics of the world untie!

21. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

i say go for it. if you can come up with the money, then get it. unless you think you might need/want a laptop in the near future

22. techlover828 macrumors 68020

techlover828

Well unless he's making like twenty thousand a year he won't have taxes

wow, thats kind of ridiculous, I wish I was your daughter! :p

My thought, maybe you could get a refurbished mac pro but if your a senior you might want to consider getting a high end macbook pro and a nice acd or some other external monitor so that you have it for college, unless that would be underpowered for your needs.

23. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

:eek:

I'm sorry buy I can nay afford to adopt all ye fine young ones. Ye shall have to get yer own Mac Pros.

Cheers,

24. uMac macrumors 6502

Same thing - making some money on the side with Photography (hobbie) and other activities. I splurged and got a Mac Pro; I'm glad I did as it allows me to do stuff faster which reduces my time in front of a computer and allows for more Camera Time (thus more projects).

25. MacTO macrumors member

MacTO

That's hilarious! :D

A lot of good comments are made above. I'd like to quickly add, if you don't mind my two cents, that you should buy a refurbished Mac Pro if you need one NOW.

Of course, if you can wait, then wait till a new lineup is introduced.:apple: