Is a new iPhone coming before Christmas?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by zub3qin, Sep 23, 2007.

1. zub3qin macrumors 65816

zub3qin

anyone think a new iPhone is coming out in the next couple of months? Or would you get the 8gb iphone now?

What could be new? Memory is the only thing I can think of since everything else could come work firmware on the older versions.

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Unless what was said to the European press was false, this would seriously piss off the European customers getting the current iPhone on November 9th...

3. sjo macrumors 6502a

no. it would have leaked through fcc by now. after christmas, they either announce new version of drop the price again (or announce a new version and drop the price of the old version at the same time).

the next version has to have 3g. more memory likely, gps a possibility. they should upgrade the camera to at least 3mp, focusing one. and, in a 3g phone it would be logical to have another, front-facing camera enabling video calls.

4. Amblinman macrumors regular

I still cannot believe there are so many folks wondering if a new iPhone will be released only three months since the launch of the product. It was great watching these same folks sullen reaction when they found out the European model would be identical to ours.

Look, it makes no sense for Apple to render their first generation phone obsolete only a few months after launching it. There is absolutely no advantage to this business model. Look at how other cell phone makers space the launch of their lines. Apple isn't RIM, they're not going to pop out a different type of iPhone ever six months or so.

5. zub3qin thread starter macrumors 65816

zub3qin

Apple may disagree. They did pop out a new iPod every six months or so.
    Also, many analysts feel that the recent price drop on iPhones signals an imminent release of a new model (hence clearing out old stock). It wasn't simply to drive sales, as Apple already achieved their 1 millionth iPhone sale well ahead of expectations.

Apple doesn't care about pissing of current customers with a new release-- Steve has openly stated that that is the game in technology. Expect a new release with a lower price and deal with it.

I think there will be a generation 1.5 version out next- certainly by Thanksgiving-- basically the same iPhone with 16Gb and maybe a few new widgets pre-installed. It will be at the same price as the 8Gb phone when it first came out and then you have a 16Gb and an 8Gb phone available for sale.

6. speakerwizard macrumors 68000

speakerwizard

"I still cannot believe there are so many folks wondering if a new iPhone will be released only three months since the launch of the product."

do you see how many phones the likes of nokia etc release every 3 months? this isnt the computer market, this is very fast moving, and a new model doesnt make the old one obsolete, if it was that bad people wouldnt buy it in the 1st place.

7. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

a 16gb model maybe but since a 3G model would required fcc approval I expect an annoucement at Macworld with a release in June.

8. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

No. Steve Jobs said that (I heard) that a 3G iphone is coming out next year (mid to late)

9. zub3qin thread starter macrumors 65816

zub3qin

He says lots of things... like nobody will ever watch videos on an ipod.

10. Amblinman macrumors regular

Right. Forgive me if I throw this "certain" prediction onto the same dust heap as "Europe's iPhone will most certainly have 3G."

11. MacMan33 macrumors regular

MacMan33

I wish everyone could enjoy their iphones and stop worrying about the next best thing to replace it. There will be no new iphone or 3g till next year.

12. zub3qin thread starter macrumors 65816

zub3qin

Care to make a friendly wager?

I predict the following.
    8Gb and 16Gb iPhones in the US before Dec 25, 2007.

Anyone disagree with me?

13. zedsdead macrumors 68040

I can see them adding the 16Gb iPhone for $499 before Christmas. Same phone however, no 3G, Camera upgrade etc...

The 3G phone will likely not be out until holidays next year by my guess.

What will make the buy a new iPhone: Louder Speakers, Better Camera (Zooming/Video), 3G, Black Boarder like iPod Touch, More Space is going to happen obviously, so 16 gig is fine since I am using 8 now, prefer 32.

I will not buy the phone if the only difference is 16 gigs. One of the other things in my list has to be there as well, probably more than one.

14. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

Jobs lowered the price of the iPhone for a reason boys and girls.

15. d21mike macrumors 68040

d21mike

Have you already forgot that there was once a 4gb iPhone?

There will be a 16gb iPhone by early next year. But 3G is later 2008.

Thats my prediction.

16. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

There will be no 16 iPhone until the next version. And the next version probably won't have 3G either.

Around 2008 who knows, 3G might be what EDGE is now.

17. FunkyMonkey macrumors 6502

Ya, and the reason for that is because they came out with the Touch. They're trying to get people to still buy the iPhone even though the Touch is out.

I predict a new iPhone at Macworld '08. That just makes sense, doesn't it?

18. stevehp macrumors 6502

I do.

The current iPhone will be the same for the whole holiday season. I can't see an update until next Spring at the very earliest.

19. CD3660 macrumors 68040

CD3660

20. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

Yes, but the other reason Jobs stated himself was so more people could have the iPhone for the holiday, which translates for him into selling 10,000,000 iphones sooner.

21. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

Right.

But you can't release anything, even a 3G iphone, too close to christmas and expect to gain the sales. If there's nothing by black friday, there's nothing until after christmas. They don't want to deal with the insane shopping season PLUS exchanges from people who bought an iphone in November for christmas for someone, and then decided to exchange it for the new model right away. Logistical/PR nightmare.

22. Bernie-Mac macrumors 65816

the only new iphone coming out soon will be an iphone nano with less features etc..

23. zub3qin thread starter macrumors 65816

zub3qin

What happens to all the "old" iPhones people no longer need when they upgrade themselves to a 3G phone? Is there going to be a market for older EDGE iPhones? I have 4 or 5 old cell phones sitting in my closet. Are iPhones going to join the pile?

I can't imagine the type of person who'd buy an iPhone (and pay for an iPhone plan) NOT getting the 3G phone. In other words, I don't think someone will take your old iphone off your hands because if they are going to pay to get iPhone service, chances are they aren't too worried about the $100 or $200 they'd save on a S-L-O-W EDGE iPhone.

24. D4F Guest

D4F

i wont switch.
    i see no reason.

For my needs EDGE is doing just fine.
    I'm in a restaurant right now waiting for food and browsing/reading and replying all the boards i visit is just fine.

I see that people are seriously spoiled.
    This is still a phone not sure if some of u realize this.
    All other aspects of it are a bonus to me and i love it.
    Besides i do not belive they will add a 3G plan SO cheap as the EDGE and in current state is just perfect.

25. aethelbert macrumors 601

meh, I doubt it. Especially before Christmas. Or before any other specific date of importance during the "holiday season"(just trying to stay politically correct...).