Is a Radeon X800XT good?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by iModFrenzy, Jun 10, 2015.

1. iModFrenzy macrumors 6502a

iModFrenzy

I was looking around and saw a card called a Radeon X800XT Mac Edition, it is the only card that actually uses GDDR3 ram(or at least the only card I have seen). My question is, is it a good card? It seems like these cards are a bit expensive.

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

The ATI X800 is one of the best cards for AGP PowerMacs.

3. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

As Intell says, they are one of the best.

In the benchmark thread we've had going on here, these actually bench higher than the high-end FX4500 option for PCIe G5s.

4. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

It is a fantastic card! I personally prefer ATI cards due to their generally stellar support in OS X.

5. desantii macrumors 6502

desantii

Is that the equivalent of a FireGl3 card?

6. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

@desantii According to the previous threads regarding that card here, it will report as a 256 MB Radeon X800 XT.

7. ziggy29 macrumors regular

They are outstanding for pretty much any PPC Mac. Two concerns are power and heat. These cards require an additional connection to the power supply so a marginal power supply may struggle to provide power. Also, these suckers put out a lot of heat, so you may need to take special measures to dissipate the heat so you can avoid crashes and freezes.

8. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

Just as a note, they are the best cards in any PPC Mac where they will work, but there are a lot of what-ifs and caveats to that statement

1. Of course, nothing before the Sawtooth G4 even has AGP, so they're off limits for that.

2. The X800 won't work in a 2x AGP slot, so the Sawtooth, Gigabit Ethernet, and Cube(assuming you could shoehorn one in) are off limits

3. They are iffy in a lot of 4x G4s-Erik and I both have had serious issues getting these cards(or at least the flashed versions) to work in Quicksilvers. I've never been successful in getting one to work in a Digital Audio either.

4. They are generally reliable in MDDs, although they do need to be taped

5. They are great and plug-and-play in G5s up through the late '05s

6. They are off limits in the late '05 G5, since those use PCIe. It's a shame, too, as this card benches better than high end FX4500 that was BTO in the '05 G5s.