Is a series 3 still a decent upgrade from a 2?

TH55

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
I just bought a Jailbroken X and am unable to get the series 4 that I wanted as it requires iOS 12 or higher. I am forced to get the 3. Is it still a solid upgrade from the 2 (which I just shattered) or should I just get another 2? I hate that I'm spending almost as much for a 3 as I would for a 4. The 42 mm aluminum gps 3 is $359 on eBay. Is that steep? Thanks!

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
I just bought a Jailbroken X and am unable to get the series 4 that I wanted as it requires iOS 12 or higher. I am forced to get the 3. Is it still a solid upgrade from the 2 (which I just shattered) or should I just get another 2? I hate that I'm spending almost as much for a 3 as I would for a 4. The 42 mm aluminum gps 3 is $359 on eBay. Is that steep? Thanks!
I would not purchase another Series 2. I would consider the Series 3 between the two options, the Series 3 offers the LTE, a faster a dual core processor, the battery life also seems much improved due to the processor, even though both watches a rated at 18 hours. The Series 3 would also be slated to receive more watchOS updates overtime versus the Series 2.

Reactions: TH55

dotzero123

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2018
Philadelphia Suburbs
The S3 is a good watch. IMHO wouldn't buy from ebay for that price unless you've had great experience w/ the seller. There are going to be plenty of S3s around for purchase soon.

ReardenMetal

macrumors regular
May 1, 2015
Los Angeles
The Series 3 is great. That price is high if it’s been used for a year. If it’s unopened, then maybe.

TH55

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
The Series 3 is great. That price is high if it’s been used for a year. If it’s unopened, then maybe.
It's unopened
[doublepost=1538789676][/doublepost]
The S3 is a good watch. IMHO wouldn't buy from ebay for that price unless you've had great experience w/ the seller. There are going to be plenty of S3s around for purchase soon.
How much would you spend? It's brand new unopened.

Reactions: dotzero123

Freakonomics101

macrumors 68030
Nov 6, 2014

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
Dang, that’s not bad. The only place I would trust to buy a refurbished Apple device is from Apple themselves. 3rd party sellers, you never know if they’re honest about it or not. Usually, they’re not.
Entirely agree. Apples refurbished Apple Watch is actually is a slightly different process than the iPhone replacements, the casing is usually re-used due to soldered components, but the battery and the display are typically replaced in _most_ cases (The battery has to test above 80%). However, you still have the one-year warranty and Apple will make the situation right if something does go wrong with the replacement watch.

tromboneaholic

Suspended
Jun 9, 2004
Clearwater, FL
Entirely agree. Apples refurbished Apple Watch is actually is a slightly different process than the iPhone replacements, the casing is usually re-used due to soldered components, but the battery and the display are typically replaced in _most_ cases (The battery has to test above 80%). However, you still have the one-year warranty and Apple will make the situation right if something does go wrong with the replacement watch.
Unrelated, but I bought a 2011 refurbished MacBook Pro and 2013 iMac from Apple that are still my go-to computers. The laptop is finally too old for update, but in perfect condition.

batman75

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2010
The Series 3 equals the battery life of the Series 4 and almost equals the speed. So unless you need a portable EKG or have bad eyes, the Series 3 is a great buy. I think the Series 3 right now is the value sweet spot.
Actually series 3 beats the battery life of series 4 by about 10%. However both are over double the battery life of the series 0 and 2.

The article shows the series 4 battery is 16-19% smaller than series 3 depending on which series 4 you buy.

https://bgr.com/2018/09/26/apple-watch-series-4-battery-life-vs-series-3-what-you-need-to-know/

perezr10

macrumors 65816
Jan 12, 2014
Monroe, Louisiana
Speaker is much louder on Series 4.
I totally agree. I have a Series 4. I just don’t know if that’s worth the extra $300 over a Series 3. Without a doubt the Series 4 is a better watch. But when used cellular Series 3 watches are starting at about $250 you are paying ALOT to step up to the Series 4. Value for the money, the Series 3 wins hands-down.

Jason Honer

Suspended
Aug 13, 2018
Boston MA
If you get the cellular version it is.

batman75

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2010
I totally agree. I have a Series 4. I just don’t know if that’s worth the extra $300 over a Series 3. Without a doubt the Series 4 is a better watch. But when used cellular Series 3 watches are starting at about $250 you are paying ALOT to step up to the Series 4. Value for the money, the Series 3 wins hands-down.
True.

BTW while series 4 speaker is louder it isn’t loud enough.

karmatourer

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2011
In my house
https://www.apple.com/shop/browse/home/specialdeals/apple_watch

vintagekeys

macrumors regular
Aug 22, 2018
Hong Kong
How loud would you expect a speaker to be as a device that is Worn on your wrist? You have to consider it only has much limitation for internal space.
I agree, its louder but not loud enough for a quick call outdoors, in crowded enviroments on my AW4 i have to pull the watch near my hear to hear what people are saying, it is good in a quit room or such. i hope future AWs are able to be louder in busier places when i am not carrying my earpods.

KarimLeVallois

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2014
London
I agree, its louder but not loud enough for a quick call outdoors, in crowded enviroments on my AW4 i have to pull the watch near my hear to hear what people are saying, it is good in a quit room or such. i hope future AWs are able to be louder in busier places when i am not carrying my earpods.
Who would want to take a call on their watch in a crowded place anyway?

batman75

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2010
Who would want to take a call on their watch in a crowded place anyway?
Many instances. You are out sightseeing, your phone battery dies. You summon an Uber on the watch. However you can’t find the driver so you need to talk with him. You call on your watch but you can’t hear anything over the street noise. Driver cancels, you lose $10 for the time, and you still have no ride.

Rangers94

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2014
It is but then again I feel coming from Series 3 that the Series 4 is a bigger upgrade from 3 than 3 is from 2.

There’s something to be said about Series 4 bigger display, thinner more elegant design, snappier processor, 50% louder speakers and also being able to put more complications on the display that I were you I’d really try to get the Series 4 if possible. I had the 3 and the 4 to me has me loving the Apple Watch again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.