Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nanotlj

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 15, 2008
Found a new apple "think different" watch selling for $299 on ebay. The seller claims it is genuine part. The question is: is this stuff worth $299?

Attachments

• whitewatchblack.jpg
    whitewatchblack.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 2,227

Hrududu

macrumors 68020
Jul 25, 2008
Central US
No way. Its just an old $30 watch with a logo on it, but i guess it depends on what sort of collector you are.

Brien

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2008
Yeah you can probably find that cheaper somewhere else. But I've got no idea where.

mkjj

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2003
Liverpool
No way, I bought the White and the Black one for about £30 each, they are pretty good quality and come in a nice tin but not at that price!

Unspoken Demise

macrumors 68040
Apr 16, 2009
>9,000
Definetly not 300$ worthy. I think he's gouging you. Try talking him down. At most I'd pay 150$ as a serious collector (if I were one).

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Give some consideration to this. Then tell me $300 for a watch that may be "vintage" is worth it. Save your money for a real watch.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Apple most likely doesn't make that watch. Which is why they can back it for a lifetime. ;)

iWright

macrumors member
Aug 15, 2009
Mmm... have a feeling that that amount for it is thinking a little bit too different (pun intended). Its nice but I think it's probably available for far less.

hugodrax

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2007
Will be interesting if it sells at that price. This would indicate a bullish economy.

jzuena

macrumors 65816
Feb 21, 2007
Give some consideration to this. Then tell me $300 for a watch that may be "vintage" is worth it. Save your money for a real watch.

But does this watch run backwards like the ebay one? At first I thought the numbers were just backwards with the watch running as a regular one. I'm not sure I could get used to a watch that actually ran backwards, so the seller was probably able to pick them up for a song on clearance, wait a year or two, then jack the price way up and make a killing! The ebay dream!

selfdisplaced

macrumors member
Jun 22, 2009
I ran across this while doing a search on google. I have this watch I think when I bought it it was about 80-90$. It does run backwards, which is pretty neat.

I gotta say that picture doesn't look like the actual watch. I have the black faced one and it is not chrome around (it is black) and the band looks completely wrong.

This looks to be a copy. I got mine from i think missingbite.com, they don't sell 'em anymore.

mkjj

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2003
Liverpool
I ran across this while doing a search on google. I have this watch I think when I bought it it was about 80-90$. It does run backwards, which is pretty neat.

I gotta say that picture doesn't look like the actual watch. I have the black faced one and it is not chrome around (it is black) and the band looks completely wrong.

This looks to be a copy. I got mine from i think missingbite.com, they don't sell 'em anymore.

The one your thinking about a different one, made by Apple Watch, these where made for the Asian market I believe, came with a white face also.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mac-collection/4820243713/in/set-72157621911294777/

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Found a new apple "think different" watch selling for $299 on ebay. The seller claims it is genuine part. The question is: is this stuff worth $299?

What makes you happier: $300 in your pocket, or this watch on your arm?

mrmartman

macrumors newbie
Sep 1, 2007
Challenge

I challenge anyone to find the original Apple Think Different Watch anywhere in Brand New condition!! IF you can find one I'll bet they want at least $300 for it. Why, because it is a rare collectible that was part of the greatest Ad Campaign ever conceived of by modern man. Even Bill Gates has said that the ad campaign was a sheer stroke of Genius that literally saved Apple. After all, who can forget the 1984 Superbowl Ad that still sets the standard for television marketing.

Now, about the watch itself. Believe it or not, because this watch runs backwards, it forces your mind to "think different" about telling time. Studies are showing that rote and repetitive actions are actually mind numbing and that intelligence can be improved by breaking routines and doing new behaviors. So, take a different way home from work, don't always take your meals at the same time, do new hobbies and sports, get out of your comfort zones and you will be amazed at how much your life will improve.

So how much is a watch that can improve your IQ and creativity worth to you?

chrismacguy

macrumors 68000
Feb 13, 2009
United Kingdom
Studies are showing that rote and repetitive actions are actually mind numbing and that intelligence can be improved by breaking routines and doing new behaviors. So, take a different way home from work, don't always take your meals at the same time, do new hobbies and sports, get out of your comfort zones and you will be amazed at how much your life will improve.

So how much is a watch that can improve your IQ and creativity worth to you?

What absolute utter rubbish. Having a watch that runs backwards is not going to measurably improve your IQ or creativity. Especially since you are suggesting wearing this full time, which then becomes routine, so even if what your claiming is true, if you are always looking at your watch, your just going to sink into a new routine and the benefits would thus disappear.
As far as the rest goes - link to the studies please, since I haven't seen anything about that being even remotely true, and Id like to read the scientific papers myself, since I consider most of that to be utter twaddle until I see data which proves it otherwise.

mrmartman

macrumors newbie
Sep 1, 2007
What absolute utter rubbish. Having a watch that runs backwards is not going to measurably improve your IQ or creativity. Especially since you are suggesting wearing this full time, which then becomes routine, so even if what your claiming is true, if you are always looking at your watch, your just going to sink into a new routine and the benefits would thus disappear.
As far as the rest goes - link to the studies please, since I haven't seen anything about that being even remotely true, and Id like to read the scientific papers myself, since I consider most of that to be utter twaddle until I see data which proves it otherwise.

I don't have the time to Google this topic, but if you really wish to learn something new try this link: http://www.ehow.com/info_7836565_exercises-improving-brain-function.html

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.