Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

goinskiing

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 25, 2008
Meridian, ID
So, I was using my early 2008 MBP in the computer lab at school this morning and it got nudged off the table and dented the corner with the slot load bay. I thought I was going to die. It still works normally except with a huge dent.

I bought it in June 2008 so it's still covered in Warranty.

Is THAT covered under that 1 yr warranty?

misterpasta

macrumors member
Apr 24, 2007
You Know

You're a regular. You know the answer to this. Poor try just to make a thread and 'hear' yourself

stonewall123

macrumors newbie
Feb 19, 2009
NOPE. And neither will Applecare... Kind of a shame because the most frequent problem with the portables is that they get dropped or bumped etc .... and those aluminum shells are deceptively fragile. My wife and I both have damaged ours and we both use padded bags.

goinskiing

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 25, 2008
Meridian, ID
I called into the local repair shop and they said it would be $250. There goes the new HD I was saving up for...

How would I check the home content insurance?

snowmoon

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2005
Albany, NY
Neither Apple or AppleCase will cover the dent, but the rest of the system should still be covered assuming they don't decide the accident was at fault. I know someone who had dropped it on that corner ( closed so the screen corner has a dent too ) a while a go and recently they swapped out the optical drive without giving her a lot of flack.

So it's not the end of the world.

goinskiing

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 25, 2008
Meridian, ID
Well, $250 still sucks, but it still works fine (from what I can tell) and I guess it could have been worse.

Just don't drop your MBP, the aluminum WILL bend.

ViciousShadow21

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2009
To your left or right
I called into the local repair shop and they said it would be $250. There goes the new HD I was saving up for...

How would I check the home content insurance?

you would have had to add it yourself. i dont think that it just goes on automatically. when i put it under my homeowners insurance i had to give them the serial number and model.

it may be different for other plans but this is how i had to do it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.