Is Age of Conan actually good?

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by swanbea, Jul 1, 2008.

1. swanbea macrumors newbie

Any of you bought the game when it first came out still playing it?

2. Stridder44 macrumors 68040

Stridder44

A couple of buddies of mine (and myself) were excited about it, and have been playing it since it's release. It's fun, but it had a rough start. A lot is changing though, and things are getting much better.

They release patches for it every monday and thursday. They're trying to fix as many bugs (there are a lot) as possible and are constantly improving things in the game (the UI, etc.). You should definitely check it out (get a 7 day trial). The combat system is fun. Best of all, it's rated "M" for a reason. Unlike WoW, people won't report you for stupid crap, like cussing or hurting their feelings.

But it has a lot of changes to be made to it, and the devs. proclaimed that. They have a lot of plans for it over the coming months, but it still feels like it has work to be done to it.

Again, give it a try. You'll probably really like it.

3. siorai macrumors 6502

I bought it. Waited the approximately 13.5 hours for it to install and patch. Pretty much every class I tried felt broken or so incredibly weak that it just seemed pointless. There are so many minor, glaring bugs that I felt like I was paying for the privilege of being the beta, possibly the alpha testing phase of the game. I've already canceled my subscription. Maybe I'll be back in six months when they get it to a proper retail release state.

4. Stridder44 macrumors 68040

Stridder44

Sums it up pretty well. I cancelled my account today as well; will probably try it again in the future.

5. TFMTASAD macrumors regular

It's fun until the bugs and the overall feel of playing a game still in Beta hits you like a freight train.

6. deputylove8 macrumors regular

deputylove8

Read a review on it.

It got a score of 7.5 over 10.

Hur hur:p

7. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

The game itself is much fun, but things are a bit broken.

I epecially hate shared instances where you compete with other groups on tagging bosses etc..

Also I lvled with a friend which probably seems to be a mistake because we did quests too fast and when i reached lvl 55 I was out of quests, now I got to grind myself to lvl 60 before I can get more quests..

The performance is also mediocre, if i run settings on high i get roughly 30 fps, if i turn everything down or of i gain 2-3 fps max..

8. siorai macrumors 6502

OK. Wait. Instances are actually shared with other groups? WTH? I'm definitely NOT resubscribing ever if that's the case. That's just retarded. I realized that yes it's an MMO and you're meant to play with other people, but shared instances is just ridiculous.

9. jamigre macrumors newbie

honestly I'm having loads of fun am lvl 34, and have been playing on a PvP server. We've got a couple of guys up top in the guild who are grinding and saving up to start a city, and have to say that the PvP is intense, and definately makes the game much more challenging.

As for performance, I've got 30fps in cities, 45-60 outside, running on a new macbook pro via bootcamp, and I have to say I fully and unconditionally like the game. As for the bugs, yeah there are some, but its nothing really detrimental to the gameplay. Minor things that you'll notice with every MMOG release.

10. jmnikricket macrumors member

As for the instances: some are bound to just you or your group, some are open zones for many groups. I haven't found it to be a problem at all and is actually pretty neat imho. You'll find most of the gripes people have about AoC are simply "that's not how WoW does it."

It is a great game. The graphics blow WoW away, the combat system is innovative and actually fun, and overall there are a lot of subtle details that you will appreciate. Having said that, the game is still very buggy. The last patch especially has seemed to make crashes inevitable every few hours. There are a lot of lag spikes in instances, however, unlike wow, after the server lags, you don't come back to find yourself dead, the game just picks up right from where you left off like it never happened.

Also documentation and tooltips in the game are very poor so far. My recommendation is that if you do start playing, don't judge it too quickly. The lower levels are a combination of boring, easy, and frustrating as you try to figure the game out. However there are 80 levels to go through and it definitely improves. The other gripe my friends have is that in WoW characters always looked totally bad@$$, but with the realistic armor and just the number of armor sets in AoC, the npcs look much cooler than any player you'll see.

I'm assuming you don't have friends who play since you are asking if it is good. If you plan to play on a PvP server and don't have friends to play with, you have to be patient because you will get ganked a lot, but you will also have the opportunity to gank others:) Funcom is working hard to balance the game dynamics and improve the interface. I'm having a ton of fun and only expect the game experience to improve with subsequent patches.

11. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

I was over at tessmage.com picking up a game patch and stumbled across this AOC rant on the main page (scroll down, and beware of nudity :)) The entire discussion takes up most of the page and discusses a variety of problems with the game play, graphics, and content:

"Well I can't imagine why you would be quitting, unless it's because...
    AoC is a broken, sh*** mess for sure. Each time they patch it, my stomach tightens up into a knot. The performance of the game is now at its absolute worst, for example. It actually performed better on launch day than it does now -- after all of their supposedly "performance enhancing" patches. After their last "emergency patch," I've been randomly crashing to desktop about two or three times per playing session. AoC has also been randomly locking up during dialogue with NPC's and so forth. This game is so infested with horrible game-breaking bugs that it often becomes functionally un-playable."

How does this view (see the link) compare with your experiences?