Is Alum. Macbook suppose to be completely quiet?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by MacDaddy24, Jan 17, 2009.

1. MacDaddy24 macrumors newbie

I know there has been a lot of posts regarding fans but lately right when i turn my Macbook on the fan goes on instantly. Its not extremely loud but its constantly there and never stops making noises. I know my macbook use to be quiet for at least periods of time without the fan turning on! what do i do its really annoying! THanks!

2. MacBook - 13 macrumors newbie

I have a MacBook 2.4GHz aluminium, and the fan runs at 2000RPM constantly. It's almost impossible to hear! Even when I'm running Photoshop, Firefox, Office, iWork, iLife etc. at the same time it doesn't speed ut.

3. sporadicMotion macrumors 65816

sporadicMotion

They're not supposed to be completely quiet. They have active cooling systems so they're gonna make noise.

4. MacDaddy24 thread starter macrumors newbie

sorry im new at this. But i know that i hear a noise all the time and it never turns off and it didn't do that before. how do i find out how my fan is running?

5. gmade macrumors newbie

Download the iStat widget. It tell you lots of nifty information. Including the fan speed.

6. MacBook - 13 macrumors newbie

I use the smcFanControl2 to monitor and adjust the minimum fan speed. Works great! :)

7. MacDaddy24 thread starter macrumors newbie

my fan is at 2001 rpm? is that good bad normal... lol

8. dvdhsu macrumors 6502a

dvdhsu

It's decent.
    Of course it depends on your CPU usage at the time though...

9. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

The sound you're hearing is most likely your HDD... that's pretty much something i'm experiencing and have had to just deal with it. So unless it's making LOUD clicks or weird stuff, you should be just fine.

DECENT? lol... it's NORMAL... Unibody MacBooks run between 1996-2001 RPMs on average, unless of course you're doing something really CPU intensive.

10. aznguyen316 macrumors 68020

aznguyen316

Thanks, I just d/led i t. Got that w/ istat =)

11. MacDaddy24 thread starter macrumors newbie

yah it is just annoying especially at school when the room is quiet and my macbook wont shut up.. it use to not make any noise. Do you think if i went to the mac genius place or whatever it is called they would be able to fix it? I have only had it for 3 months!

12. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

You can give it a shot. There's a possibility that your fans just have dust in them, or your CPU is whining, or it's just the HDD in which case, unless it's going bad they prolly won't do anything about it.
    But give it a shot, just set your mind at ease..

13. MacDaddy24 thread starter macrumors newbie

hey i downloaded the smcfancontrol and the lowest it lets me apply it to is 2000. is that right?

14. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

it's not ever going to be dead-silent, but if it's loud enough to be embarrassing in class, then i'd definitely say you should bring it in.

15. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

You really don't need that unless you run games or high CPU applications that keep your temps high. Normally the fans on the Unibody will idle between 1996-2001 RPMs.

16. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

yeah that's right. you shouldn't be able to set it below the default rpm, and 2000 rpm is the default.

17. MacDaddy24 thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks a lot guys. im just gonna make an appointment with the mac guys. Because now when i put my ear to the usb ports i heart a static noise... this is ridiculous !

18. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

I hear that static noise too. that is actually normal, i think. it's your processor.

19. theGoodLife macrumors newbie

Defiantly get it checked out. I have not heard the fan once on my 15" Uni, with the dedicated GPU on.

20. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Maybe because you have a better processor, and better GPU?

21. bbaham macrumors newbie

Mine runs constantly and I can hear "static" from the USB area as well, doesn't really seem abnormal though....Mine is a 2.4

22. rd261 macrumors regular

If I'm not mistaken, the static noise affects a lot of intel processors. My black macbook (early 08) makes the same noise, but I only hear it if I put my ear on top of the upper right side of the keyboard. About the fan noise, yes it is noticeable, but it shouldn't be as loud as to annoy nearby people on a quiet room. If its bothering you then take it to Apple and they will tell you whether is normal or not.

23. philosopherdog macrumors 6502a

philosopherdog

If you're talking about the new Macbook Aluminum, they should be pretty near silent unless you're running something intensive. You might hear a very very quiet purring sound, which is the cpu fan. The harddrive may make a very faint ticking sound if there's lots of reading and writing to the drive; the stock drives are very quiet. I have 2 of these machines here, and they both run nearly silently. The room has be be quiet or you have to put your ear down to the machine to hear it, and the sound is a constant quiet fan sound. You shouldn't be hearing a static sound either. That doesn't sound right. So, if your computer is disturbing people in a class it is obviously in need of repair. I'd suggest it's probably a defective CPU fan, which is a very common cause of heat problems and noise issues. Replace is soon, because this could be causing excessive heat and hence wear on the machine's components especially the motherboard.

24. MacDaddy24 thread starter macrumors newbie

lets put it this way... if you are in a quiet room by yourself can you hear your laptop make any noise? or if you put your ear to it?

25. morrisman1 macrumors 6502

the aluminium macbooks dont need the fan very fast at all. mine runs between 1100rpm and 1500rpm in normal use and the temperature is about 50°C which is good for a laptop.

i use a program called fan control and ive dropped the base speed to 1100rpm and it of course will rise as the cpu temperature increases.