Is an iMac right for me?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by chris2k5, Dec 30, 2011.

1. chris2k5 macrumors 6502a

So recently I have been contemplating getting a refurb iMac from the Apple Store online because my current set up is:

2010 Macbook Air 1.4Ghz 2GB RAM 64GB SSD
    iPad 2 16GB White WiFi Only
    iPhone 4S 32GB White

I recently got a big $$$ contract for some web design work and I found it hard to do any design and coding with the Macbook Air.

The screen resolution is too small to have multiple windows side by side and the RAM is far too low to even have software open. The 64GB SSD can barely hold my files so I am forced to use a 1TB external hard drive.

Do you guys think the iMac is right for me? I would probably get a base iMac with the new quadcores + a magic trackpad + wireless keyboard. If so, what size do you recommend?

(I also was considering a Macbook Pro 15" but since I already have the Air, I thought it was kind of pointless)

2. Mhotep macrumors member

I say get the 27" iMac. Sounds like what you need. Recently got one and will not go back.

3. MrNomNoms, Dec 30, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2011

MrNomNoms macrumors 65816

MrNomNoms

Buy it online, 27", max out the CPU and GPU (as seen in my sig) - it'll provide you with years of good service.

4. LeandrodaFL macrumors 6502a

LeandrodaFL

The base iMac will do you fine. Feel free to get the 22 inch model, simply place it closer to you, but honestly speaking, an arm distance away is a good distance.

5. flynz4 macrumors 68040

The 27" iMac has nearly twice the pixels as the 21.5. You sit the same distance from either, and you make the windows about the same size... but you have a larger workspace with the 27".

Personally, I think the difference is night and day.

/Jim

6. dylin, Dec 30, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2011

dylin macrumors 6502a

dylin

Hmmm there are very many options you can go with. The previous posts above stated good reasoning. For me, i would see if you could get a refurb base 21.5 inch quad core model and then used some of that money saved to purchase a nice Dell ultrasharp U2212HM. Its a great IPS 21.5 in monitor with a 1920 by 1080 resolution that would match nicely with the imac and give great screen real estate to manage anything you want.

7. J3ayy macrumors member

Do it :D I have gone for 1 to ;)

8. turtle777 macrumors 6502a

Big GPU is not needed if web design is his main use.

-t

9. MrNomNoms macrumors 65816

MrNomNoms

Mac OS X makes use of the GPU and future releases will take greater advantage of it for more operations offloaded to it via the various Mac OS X frameworks.

10. George Knighton macrumors 6502a

George Knighton

No, it's not. But it's not that expensive to upgrade (Apple typically only gives you one step up as an option, anyway), and in the future the GPU might very well be utilized by future programming techniques.

I have never regretted my iMac purchase, not in the least, and it's been quite a while now!

I'll advise to go SSD if it's in the budget, however. In 2012, very much worth it, IMHO.

11. Nlynn527 macrumors regular

I have a 21.5 inch iMac and I love it. The smaller screen fits my needs but sounds like you could benefit from the 27 inch. Either way the iMac is a great machine. :)

12. philipma1957 macrumors 603

philipma1957

the best gpu yes to apple online store upgrade
    top cpu yes to apple online store upgrade
    a 2tb internal hdd yes to apple online store upgrade

ram is an easy diy you can get 32 gb for under 350 16 gb for under 62 dollars.

I don't think an internal ssd is worth while I tell people use lace's little big disk ssd version. or buy lacie's 1tb little big disk and put your own ssd's in it. I have built 128gb raid0 256gb raid0 and 512gb raid0 versions of lace's t-bolt little big disk. this tech will get better cheaper and I prefer it over an internal ssd. of course it does make your machine have an external and for some that is a no go.

Many people will tell you you will never need the big gnu or the big cpu. these options are really good for resale value.
    I sold this machine for more then 1200 bucks I paid 1750 and it was about 18 months old.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/15069263991...X:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1559.l2649#ht_2461wt_1141

note to mods this was sold more then 40 days ago. I am using it to explain that good gpus raise resale value

13. George Knighton macrumors 6502a

George Knighton

Putting an SSD in an iMac after you guy it isn't a DIY for most of the people who'd be posting.

It's not easy.

I'd still get an SSD if you think you're going to want one at any point. The current generation of iMac make good use of the speed without the eventual fragmentation to which Apple machines succumbed in previous generations.

But that's just me, one dumb old man.

14. lamboman macrumors 6502

How reliant are you on being mobile? Do you find yourself away from your desk a lot of the time and have to work elsewhere?

If so, an MBP and a 27 inch display from the likes of Dell might be a good call. A less powerful setup, but might suit your needs better. To be honest, an MBP is still a monster of a machine, and is far more capable than your MBA.

Otherwise, the base 27 inch iMac will be fast enough.

15. DELLsFan macrumors 6502a

DELLsFan

Refresh due when ... ?

When is Apple due to refresh the iMac processor / graphics chips?