is antiglare worth the extra $50

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rweakins, Jan 14, 2010.

1. rweakins macrumors 6502

rweakins

is it worth the extra $50 on the MBP to get the anti glare screen. i know it has a lot to do with personal preference.... but just wanted some opinions. I do a TON of photo editing so off the bat i tend to lean towards to anti glare/matte screen but wanted to see what people thought or had experienced with either

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

You're opening a can of worms with this question.

Worth is subjective.

antiglare vs. glossy is just as subjective.

It really depends on what you want, my advice is to check out the MBPs at an apple store and see what works best for you. Personally I went with glossy but many other people went with antiglare and are quite happy they did.

3. rweakins thread starter macrumors 6502

rweakins

yeah that is pretty much the most subjective topic when it comes to purchasing the MBP....

i've been leaning towards the anit glare. the glossy just seems to be eye candy. colors are great and all but i feel they are no better than the anti glare.

4. JamesM macrumors regular

I would think matte would give you more accurate colour reproduction.

5. MMM.PWR macrumors 6502

MMM.PWR

I do a lot of photo editing myself and went with the glossy. I'm not crazy about the silver bezel around the anti-glare screen.. in the end it is up to you. At $50, it really isn't about the money when buying a $2k+ laptop.

6. rweakins thread starter macrumors 6502

rweakins

i'm not really crazy about the silver either just wanted to hear people's experience was as far as color quality and accuracy between the two.

7. kolax macrumors G3

Matte has little reflection and easier on the eyes.

Glossy has reflections (which are tolerable) and the colours really do pop out and look fantastic.

Your choice. I went with matte - some days I wish I still had my glossy MBP because the colours really did pop and the screen was slightly brighter. But other days I'm glad I have my matte, as the reflections really did irritate me.

8. SolRayz macrumors 6502a

SolRayz

At first I was nervous the matte bezel would look cheap and somewhat an afterthough. However I was wrong. Personally I think it looks good and fits the mbp quite nicely. Plus the added benefit of no eye strain from glare is well worth it imo.

Should apple charge an extra $50? I'm not sure.

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I incur no such eye strain from the glossy display. I also thin the color representation is much more accurate then the matte display.

10. Habitus macrumors 6502a

Habitus

Maflynn nailed it; subjectivity. I enjoy the anti-glare; however, my opinion does not objectively define the practicality of anti-glare!

We're trying to objectivate the subjective, which is impossible.

Habitus :apple:

11. Csmitte macrumors 6502

Csmitte

I have glossy and I am extremely happy with it, its up to you.

12. Collider macrumors regular

LOL, that's ironic. I too went for glossy (and love it to bits), and the one thing I really wish I could've had was the silver bezel. ;)

But yea... Glossy vs. Matte is subjective. If you want matte, it's worth the price. If you don't, it's not. If you're on the fence and not sure either way... I'd personally say it's probably not, either, but even that's just my own (equally subjective) opinion.

13. Habitus macrumors 6502a

Habitus

I have anti-glare (as stated above) and I love it. In my opinion, it's definitely worth the $50. If you need accurate color display, go for anti-glare. Nothing's more annoying than working on a project and having it display different on another computer :eek:

Habitus :apple:

14. Gabriel GR macrumors 6502a

Gabriel GR

This really depends on color profiles rather than if the display is matte or glossy.

15. iCheddar macrumors 6502a

iCheddar

In a controlled environment, like your home, at night, there won't be any major differences between the two.

However, once you get out into the world of sunlight, the glass screen causes a world of pain. The trouble is the glass, not the gloss.

I love my little 13" MBP to death, but oh how I curse the glare that shows up on my screen. I would pay far more than $50 for Apple to offer a matte option for the 13".

16. Ava's Meeshee macrumors member

17. Dozerrox macrumors 6502

18. simpleton macrumors newbie

I know a few people that bought new MBPs just to switch to antiglare, so for some its worth well over $50. I couldnt live with glossy, but some people dont mind.

Most people I know are designers so glossy screen is a deal breaker. It's not really color reproduction, but reflections that dont allow you to fully concentrate at your work.

While browsing web and reading mail i could work on anything, but for serious work i choose the tools that dont introduce additional noise in the work process

19. junebug1 macrumors regular

junebug1

Like everyone else has stated it's totally subjective, but personally I wouldn't ever get a glossy. Matte is where it's at!

20. Nein01 macrumors 6502

Nein01

best thing to do is get the glossy and then buy an antiglare screen protector for less than $50 in case you don't like the glossy screen.

that way you a.) save money, b.) are protecting your screen, c.) don't have to look at that ugly silver border, and d.) can even switch back and forth between the two

it's like a win-win-win-win situation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76QCvv99Q1o

21. brendu macrumors 68020

I have the thirteen inch and would have prob. gotten it with the glass screen anyway.. but now after half a year with it, I really wish I had matte... The glass looks real good, is easy to clean, and the bezel is nicer IMO... but I would trade to a matte in a heartbeat given the option... I hate the glare which is tolerable until watching movies in a room with any light in it...

22. dankybear macrumors regular

i hate my glossy it's like im looking myself in the mirror half the time... i really wish there was a matte option for the 13"

23. N-Y macrumors regular

i was having this debate with myself for a while, lucky me when i was near getting my first macbook pro, a apple store opened in my city and got to compare first hand, and trust me, don't get the glossy screen!!!, antiglare is amazing!. do it, you won't regret it

24. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

Not in my opinion. I've tried the Moshi anti-glare film, and while it does its job, it is not nearly as good as a matte LCD panel. I'm sure that all the films are basically the same.

25. crobbins macrumors 6502

crobbins

I personally love the Anti-Glare, however you should go look at both in the store again to try to get a good idea of what fits you best. Sometimes when I see mine next to a friends, the other really does look a little cooler with the black bezel. I am reminded why I bought it though when we joke about the fact that I keep my brightness at 1 little bar vs. my co-workers and friends who keep their glossy screens all the way up to see it in the light. :D