Is anyone definitely keeping their 3G even when the new one comes out?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by daonesteven, May 11, 2009.

1. daonesteven macrumors 6502

I kinda want to just keep my 3G and not go through the hassle of getting a new one and selling my old one, but I don't know how I'll be able to deal with not having the most current apple product.

If there's people out there who will keep their 3G no matter what, tell me your rationale!

2. iPhonedHome macrumors 6502

If all the (new) iPhone has on it is video capabilities and a compass on it I can guarantee you I won't be upgrading.

3. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

The only way I would keep my 3G is if they don't offer the option of starting my contract again or extending it with the additional 6 months as I am technically tied into an 18 month contract.

4. Cask Guest

Depends on the features of the new phone, if it only has an upgraded camera and digital compass then I won't upgrade. But if it has more upgrades (better processor, better screen resolution, etc) then I'll be upgrading, I'll have to wait and see.

5. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

I'm going to keep every iPhone I ever buy. I want to start a collection of iPhones. So far I have:

8GB iPhone
    16GB iPhone 3G
    16GB iPod touch
    120GB iPod classic

6. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

Yup. Even if I buy the new one my 3G will not be sold. It has earned it's right to be archived next to my original iPhone.

Sorry man. Those aren't iPhones.

:D

7. r6girl Administrator/Editor

r6girl

Staff Member

Nope, I'll most likely sell my 3G at some point, but I'll keep my first-generation spare iPhone still for snowboarding and other potentially-hazardous activities.

8. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

Interesting. I'd be more concerned about breaking the first generation than the 3G.

To each their own I guess.

9. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Yeah, I know. They're just part of my Apple gadget obsession. :p

What? Are you kidding me? You can't break the first gen iPhone. I've never seen a first generation iPhone's housing crack. I've never seen a silent switch fall off of a first gen and they're harder to scratch. The iPhone 3G is more fragile. You have to handle that thing like a newborn baby and it STILL cracks for no reason. It's not a personal preference... it's the truth about them.

10. davyreins macrumors 6502

I'll definitely be keeping mine, mainly for financial reasons though. As much as I like having whats new, I'm usually satisfied with buying whatever the best thing is at the time and then using it for a few years (or whatever a reasonable time is). It can be a vicious cycle if you try to stay on top of what's new in electronics/computers.

11. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Depends on what it'll cost me.

So, I'd LIKE to upgrade, but if it costs me more than $350, I'll be waiting until 2010.

(And by $350, I mean the difference between what I spend and what I can get by selling my 3G phone.)

12. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

VoIP.

and i plan to keep my 2G - unless the data rates drop

13. iGeRmAn macrumors regular

well....i guess you can ;)

Attached Files:

14. davidwarren macrumors 6502a

I will probably keep mine until iPhone 4 next summer, then I will be due a contract refresh and everyone else will be all worried about having to pay for the new one when their iPhone 3 is still not even a year old.

15. Blue Fox macrumors 6502a

Blue Fox

Not sure, it all depends on the price.

If AT&T allows me to sign another 2-year contract (I'm only 1 year into my current contract), and I can get it for the same price point as a new customer, then I would consider upgrading.

But that would lead to another factor.........would it be worth it? If the new iPhone doesn't have a substantial upgrade, then I might hold off until next year.

16. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

if you break the 2G.. that is NOT being responsible

17. Hunts121 macrumors regular

Hunts121

Like others have said, if all it has is a better camera and a compass then it's not worth it in my opinion. It's pretty much assured not to have LTE which is the only thing that would make me upgrade and it likely wouldn't be worth upgrading for anyways at this point as coverage anytime soon would be spotty at best. I will be just fine with my 3G and OS 3.0 at least until LTE rears it's head.

18. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

How does the fact that you can smash the glass on the first gen any different than smashing the glass on the iPhone 3G? I believe the argument was that the iPhone 3G was stronger than the first gen... which I believe is not the case.

19. iGeRmAn macrumors regular

My fault...those pics were too small....

Attached Files:

20. Pared macrumors 65816

Great. Still doesn't make it an iPhone.

21. jmccullough108 macrumors 6502a

jmccullough108

I will probably be keeping mine, it works fine for what I need right now.

22. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Are those cracks or scratches? I doubt metal cracks like that.

23. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

They look like scratches to me, I have similar scratches on my iPhone first generation.

24. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Buy a new phone in this economy when my 3G is a champ and less than a year old? Yeah, I pay for my own stuff so I think I'll pass for now

25. DVNIEL macrumors 6502a

DVNIEL

The real question is will AT&T still let current iPhone owners (2G & 3G) let them upgrade to the new phone despite how long they've owned it.

I'm rather interested in this because I just currently went back to the iPhone with a 2G unit last month. Do you think this will make me eligible to upgrade to the new one that comes out in June/July?