Is anyone else finding Siri completely useless on the 5S?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by blahbrah, Nov 1, 2013.

1. blahbrah macrumors 6502

So when I say I'm on Sprint I know a bunch of people are going to jump on board and say "Well that's the problem. You're on Sprint." But on my old 4S I was able to use Siri through most of SF, but now I'm finding I can only pretty much use Siri in the Castro and the Mission.

Downtown, the Haight and just about every other neighborhood Siri keeps telling me to ask again later.

Anyone else having Siri trouble on their 5S?

2. coolio93 macrumors 6502

are you on 7.0.3?

3. Trius macrumors 6502a

Trius

4. protoxx macrumors 6502a

protoxx

Siri was mostly useless when I was on Sprint (Sorry I can't do anything right now, try again later) . Now I'm on T-Mobile it's very useful.

5. blahbrah thread starter macrumors 6502

Yep. And now I wish I had held out for the contract to end so I could have jumped to T-Mobile.

6. coolio93 macrumors 6502

In that case, I'd say that sprint is your problem. I had a ton of problems with Siri on my 5S that where fixed after 7.0.3. Any further problems are probably related to your data connection. Try connecting to wifi and see if it works better.

7. VanillaCracker macrumors 68030

VanillaCracker

Double check if it's LTE to 3G switching or something. Not sure if Siri has problems when switching from those bands but could be. To be honest iOS7 has a million bugs in it and wouldn't be surprised if it had some sort of functionality problem.

Can't wait till they fix the 30 some bugs I've experienced with iOS7 since I bought my first iPhone 6 days ago...

8. blahbrah thread starter macrumors 6502

Oh yeah on wifi it's significantly better. It's just odd that this is on 3G connections, LTE, etc. Was hoping there could be some weird hardware problem where I could replace it but I guess it's just continued problems with Sprint.

9. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

10. bunnicula macrumors 68040

bunnicula

Same here.

11. CEmajr macrumors 601

12. FelixDerKater macrumors 68020

FelixDerKater

She booked me a table for dinner tonight.

Then, she reserved movie tickets and found directions to the new theater.

13. AFDoc macrumors 68030

LoL.... sprint....LoLoLoLoLoL

No, I'm not having issues.... but Im on a real network.

14. richardbb85 macrumors 6502a

15. Velin macrumors 65816

Velin

5s, T-Mobile, Siri is useful and responsive, especially when driving. True hands-free operation, it's great.

16. sundog925 macrumors 6502a

I use Siri all the time.
    from setting the timer to playing music and texting.
    Invaluable.

17. Jimbo47 macrumors 6502a

Hasn't worked great for me on Wifi, or LTE Verizon. The first request always fails. Any one after that works well. If I wait a few hours, same thing. First fails.

18. FlyUnlock.com macrumors member

FlyUnlock.com

What would you use it for?

19. RollTideFanGrl macrumors regular

RollTideFanGrl

I am on Sprint and don't have any problems with Siri..

20. Nevaborn macrumors 65816

Nevaborn

I live in UK and whenever I read about a network issue in the US it seems to be about Sprint, If you have another cell provider in your area I have no idea why you would stick with them.

As far as the OP is concerned, if your fine over wifi but it is throwing back errors with network data then your issue really is Sprint i am afraid.

21. Indecisi0n macrumors regular

Indecisi0n

I have had her turned off since her birth. I asked her a few sexually questions , laughed then turned her off years ago never to return.

22. Velin macrumors 65816

Velin

Well two big ones are dialing while driving, esp. from a big contact list, along with sending text messages and email while walking or driving. You can voice dictate emails, messages, etc. and don't even need to look at the phone when hands-free, or have it dial without having to divert your attention from your route.

Another is locations. I don't use iPhone for GPS navigation, but if you quickly need to find something nearby, you can ask and it is pretty darn accurate, and superior to most car navigation systems.

If you are sitting down or at a desk, no, I don't use it. But if you are on the move and can't type, or need your visual attention directed elsewhere, that's when Siri is very useful. You can operate the phone without looking at it.

That's how I use it at least.

I also imagine people with poor hand-eye coordination use it for typing. The transcription is very accurate, the best I've seen.

23. AppleWes macrumors 6502

AppleWes

Same here... Maybe not as bad, but Siri seems to fail a lot. Never really use it.

24. alent1234 macrumors 603

25. cdmoore74 macrumors 68020

Siri would have been more useful if you didn't have to interact physically with the phone. They should have taken note from the Moto X always listening feature or even the Nexus 5 "Ok Google" when the screen is on. If you have to physically interact with the phone whats the purpose; you already have your hands on it. Maybe the M7 coprocessor should have had a low power mode for this purpose.
    Apple made such a big deal about Siri back when the 4s came out and now it's the least used feature after 2 years. Even Facetime feels that way sometimes.