iPhone 11 Is Anyone Else Going from X/XS to 11?

ggibson913

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 11, 2006
I am in the iPhone Upgrade program. I do acknowledge that there is no reason to upgrade a phone every year. However, I purchased the XS on the program due to the screen and zoom lens. When I look at people's XR I really almost can't tell the difference other than movies. I ordered the 11 as when we hit 5G I want to upgrade anyway and this give me an opportunity to try the 11 rather than Pro for arguably less money than I would have spent anyway (This year). Plus Dark Mode really is an attractive feature for me. Anyone else doing the same?

NashMan2

macrumors regular
Mar 27, 2009
I'm going from a X mainly because my current daily battery life is decreasing annoyingly. Another reason is the better camera. But to be honest I was really bummed not upgrading last year, illogical as it may be....

Reactions: nickyD410

airjay75

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2014
I’m going from the XS to the 11, and I think there will be plenty of people in this boat. If you search, you’ll find a few other threads on this already. It really just depends what you value in your phone. The 11 will give you better battery life, slightly bigger screen (or slightly smaller than the Max if the Max is too big for you), and basically a camera that is on par with the XS camera (with a few small differences). The significantly lower price point from the Pro makes me feel like I’m not totally throwing away my money and allows me to justify going to the 11. If the Pro models were the only new choices, I’d probably just stick with my XS.

But, for some people, once they go OLED, they can’t go back, and others want the most advanced camera they can get - obviously, the 11 is not going to be for those folks.

mlo0its

macrumors newbie
Mar 22, 2016
The main reason why i’m upgrading to the iphone 11 from my current iphone X is because of my battery life as well improved face ID detection. I was interested in upgrading to the XR last year but held out until this year since i wasn’t able to find a used one for a good price. I figured that once 5g is more matured in terms of wide spread support among networks and when the bugs are ironed out, then i’ll move to the 5g iPhone

chabig

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2002
”Is Anyone Else Going from X/XS to 11?”

No. You’re probably the only one. All of the other buyers are upgrading from Android or earlier iPhone models.

Kung

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2006
I didn't think I would; and I still may not. With that said, where I live, I get either "no service" or a whopping 1/2 bars of signal. If the 11 is simply as good as the XR with respect to battery life and reception, I'll likely switch to the 11.

Reactions: eyeseeyou

lulla01

macrumors 68020
Jul 13, 2007
U.S
iPhone XS Max to 11Pro,- the big screen was nice but i miss having a 1 handed phone.

nburwell

macrumors 601
May 6, 2008
DE
If Apple made an 11 the same size as the X/Xs/11 Pro, I'd probably go with that. But alas they do not. So I'll probably be holding on to my Xs for another year.

Markgnyc2

macrumors regular
Nov 17, 2013
Here's my thinking...i have an X 256GB. I just upgraded to an 11 256GB through Verizon. After trade in of my phone, total cost of the 11 is $489. A bargain. Now, next year, if an all new redesigned phone comes out, I will have the 11 to trade and its value would probably be around $400. So to me its a win/win. My son has the XR so I know what the screen will look like and to be honest, I don't see a difference between the OLED and LCD screens. The only thing i will possibly miss is the telephoto lens but we will see how that pans out on a day to day basis. After reading the reviews today and reading about the camera improvements, I couldn't resist.

Reactions: lsara

eyeseeyou

macrumors 68040
Feb 4, 2011
Here's my thinking...i have an X 256GB. I just upgraded to an 11 256GB through Verizon. After trade in of my phone, total cost of the 11 is $489. A bargain. Now, next year, if an all new redesigned phone comes out, I will have the 11 to trade and its value would probably be around $400. So to me its a win/win. My son has the XR so I know what the screen will look like and to be honest, I don't see a difference between the OLED and LCD screens. The only thing i will possibly miss is the telephoto lens but we will see how that pans out on a day to day basis. After reading the reviews today and reading about the camera improvements, I couldn't resist.
I’ve watched a couple of videos on the iPhone 11 and most of them seem to be done by people who don’t really use the tele lens. I could be wrong but an ultra wide lens does not replace the functionality of a tele lens but only expands the functionality of the wide lens. This would also be important for the portrait mode pics as a combo of tele/wide would produce a more natural looking portrait mode pic.

Mt44

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2014
Yes, probably going to a Pro Max from the XS.

The battery life tipped me over the edge. Also ready (I think) to go back to the big screen after being a Plus user for years.

OasisNYK

macrumors 6502
Nov 29, 2004
I am going from the X to the 11 Pro. Switching from AT&T to Verizon for better service on commute, also like the battery life and camera in the 11 Pro.

I will most likely wait out the first year of 5G to see if it is anything like 3G was (poor battery life and spotty service).

Really the only thing I don’t like about this years phones is the Intel modem but I have one in my X so it’s not a deal breaker. Hopefully there aren’t antenna issues.

ggibson913

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 11, 2006
I’ve watched a couple of videos on the iPhone 11 and most of them seem to be done by people who don’t really use the tele lens. I could be wrong but an ultra wide lens does not replace the functionality of a tele lens but only expands the functionality of the wide lens. This would also be important for the portrait mode pics as a combo of tele/wide would produce a more natural looking portrait mode pic.
I had thought about losing the telephoto lens and honestly am concerned as I do use it. But I guess that is what iUP is for isn’t it? I only have to live with my choices for a year.

Dino F

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2010
Croydon, South London, UK
I’m going from the XS to the 11, and I think there will be plenty of people in this boat. If you search, you’ll find a few other threads on this already. It really just depends what you value in your phone. The 11 will give you better battery life, slightly bigger screen (or slightly smaller than the Max if the Max is too big for you), and basically a camera that is on par with the XS camera (with a few small differences). The significantly lower price point from the Pro makes me feel like I’m not totally throwing away my money and allows me to justify going to the 11. If the Pro models were the only new choices, I’d probably just stick with my XS.

But, for some people, once they go OLED, they can’t go back, and others want the most advanced camera they can get - obviously, the 11 is not going to be for those folks.
I don't really get why people would go from an iPhone XS to the standard iPhone 11? The 11 is an inferior phone in all aspects, other than slightly better battery and camera? The XS has a better screen, higher pixel count, better build quality, and better form factor to name just a few.....

Even all the recent reviews of the iPhone 11 confirm that XS to 11 is not a worthy upgrade - and even if you're not a camera user, the 11 Pro would also not be a worthy upgrade....

ggibson913

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 11, 2006
Thanks for all the feedback. Part of me feel like an idiot for trading the XS for the 11 but I truly want to see if I notice a difference and if that $400 dollar difference (while the 128GB suits me, 64 is too small) is worth it. Thanks again much appreciated.

Reactions: limesmoothie

Dino F

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2010
Thanks for all the feedback. Part of me feel like an idiot for trading the XS for the 11 but I truly want to see if I notice a difference and if that $400 dollar difference (while the 128GB suits me, 64 is too small) is worth it. Thanks again much appreciated.

...you won't notice any speed differences in day to day use but what you will notice, is the dimmer inferior screen of the iPhone 11 vs the XS. :(
[doublepost=1568809476][/doublepost]
Plus Dark Mode really is an attractive feature for me.
...this is coming to all recent iPhones obviously, so is not exclusive to the iPhone 11.

Markgnyc2

macrumors regular
Nov 17, 2013
I don't really get why people would go from an iPhone XS to the standard iPhone 11? The 11 is an inferior phone in all aspects, other than slightly better battery and camera? The XS has a better screen, higher pixel count, better build quality, and better form factor to name just a few.....

Even all the recent reviews of the iPhone 11 confirm that XS to 11 is not a worthy upgrade - and even if you're not a camera user, the 11 Pro would also not be a worthy upgrade....
The better battery and better camera are the big reasons to upgrade from the X to the 11. Believe me, I have sat with my X and my sons XR and compared screens endlessly. I don't notice much, if any, difference in the screens. And i am also now getting a larger 6.1 inch screen. All for less money. For me it was a no brainer.

Reactions: mikeleeuk

Dino F

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2010
The better battery and better camera are the big reasons to upgrade from the X to the 11. Believe me, I have sat with my X and my sons XR and compared screens endlessly. I don't notice much, if any, difference in the screens. And i am also now getting a larger 6.1 inch screen. All for less money. For me it was a no brainer.

...upgrading from an X to the 11 - that is a decent upgrade. iPhone XS to 11 is pointless as you won't see any differences other than the camera and battery life (the XS is superior as in my previous post).

airjay75

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2014
...upgrading from an X to the 11 - that is a decent upgrade. iPhone XS to 11 is pointless as you won't see any differences other than the camera and battery life (the XS is superior as in my previous post).
And a larger screen. Also, updated processor, WiFi 6, ultra wideband chip, spatial audio playback and Dolby Atmos support, stronger glass (according to Apple). Granted those latter things are not things I particularly care about, but I think it’s disingenuous to say the 11 is inferior in all respects to the XS other than camera and battery life. I also think there are aspects of the camera that are an upgrade and some that could be a downgrade depending on what you value in your camera (i.e., telephoto vs ultra wide lens, 2x optical zoom in vs. out)

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not arguing that it’s some sort of huge upgrade. Honestly, I’ve wavered back and forth on whether to go to the 11 and even thought about returning and going to the 11 Pro Max - just can’t quite stomach that $400 price difference. Maybe I’ll change my mind and return the 11. But I don’t feel like I’m downgrading - at worst, more a lateral change in the available options and, at best, a small upgrade with respect to aspects that matter more to me than they do to others.

vseera

macrumors regular
May 27, 2011
...you won't notice any speed differences in day to day use but what you will notice, is the dimmer inferior screen of the iPhone 11 vs the XS. :(
The XS and the 11 have the same screen brightness (625 nits). You can go on Apple.com and check for yourself. I am going from the XS to the 11 myself so I have thoroughly checked all the differences and similarities.

Dino F

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2010
And a larger screen. Also, updated processor, WiFi 6, ultra wideband chip, spatial audio playback and Dolby Atmos support, stronger glass (according to Apple). Granted those latter things are not things I particularly care about, but I think it’s disingenuous to say the 11 is inferior in all respects to the XS other than camera and battery life. I also think there are aspects of the camera that are an upgrade and some that could be a downgrade depending on what you value in your camera (i.e., telephoto vs ultra wide lens, 2x optical zoom in vs. out)

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not arguing that it’s some sort of huge upgrade. Honestly, I’ve wavered back and forth on whether to go to the 11 and even thought about returning and going to the 11 Pro Max - just can’t quite stomach that $400 price difference. Maybe I’ll change my mind and return the 11. But I don’t feel like I’m downgrading - at worst, more a lateral change in the available options and, at best, a small upgrade with respect to aspects that matter more to me than they do to others.
...actually, yep - you are probably correct in everything you say - I was just referring to day to day use, where the average, non photo hungry user, probably wouldn't see much difference.

The XS and the 11 have the same screen brightness (625 nits). You can go on Apple.com and check for yourself. I am going from the XS to the 11 myself so I have thoroughly checked all the differences and similarities.
...screen brightness is not how screens are compared.

The XS is indeed a far superior screen - all you need to do is look at the stats on Apple.com:

upload_2019-9-18_16-11-37.png

...and, the XS screen is actually on par with the iPhone 11 Pro:

upload_2019-9-18_16-15-0.png

Reactions: airjay75

Stormclouds

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2016
If you can't see a difference in OLED vs LCD, pull up the stock earth wallpaper with the black background on both phones and hold them side by side. That's been my go-to for showing people the difference. The OLED obviously has much deeper blacks.

Reactions: Dino F