Is anyone else ticked off by the "LOL"

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by joejoejoe, Feb 7, 2008.

1. joejoejoe macrumors 65816

Everytime I type in lol in a text, autocorrect switches is to LOL.

(it's pretty funny actually)

I just don't want the person I'm talking to to think I'm yelling at them!

APPLE! FIX THIS!

:)

2. brinycbri macrumors 6502a

everytime that happens, click the "x" and it will let you use lol instead of their susgestion. Do this enough times and the dictionary learns this and you wont have to do it again

3. Billy Boo Bob macrumors 6502

Billy Boo Bob

The same thing happens when I type any filename.xml ... It wants to make it filename.XML

In installer.app there's an item to disable that, but I'd rather reverse it... Where I have to tap on the suggestion in order to accept it and hitting the space bar would ignore the suggestion. I can't count how many times I send a text message or email KNOWING that I typed a word correctly, just to read it later and it was changed to something I didn't really want. Arghhh.

4. domness macrumors 6502a

domness

Does it actually change? I've tried this every time I type lol, and this is alot! lol. But however many times, it neve just forgets the damn capitals!

5. tomjleeds macrumors 6502

Easier said than done, the damn thing is absolutely miniscule :D

6. The Menacer macrumors member

Haha. Yes the "LOL" does bug me. I say something that's not even that funny and it makes me seem like I think I'm the funniest guy alive. LOL!!

7. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

I think technically it's an abbreviation, so...

8. RUFiO795 macrumors member

Maybe you should stop using "lol" in the first place if you're not in 8th grade. Just a thought. GTG CYA L8R!! lol lol lol

9. ert3 macrumors 6502a

ert3

thank fully I very seldome have an issue With the whole predictive text system though every now and again it does some anoying corrections. I agree with above though.

Not to be rude but the iPhone is a big boy phone. Yes it appeals to all markets but its time one grows out of LOL and the like.

10. joejoejoe thread starter macrumors 65816

i do this every single time and it has to let me type lol without capitalizing it

11. ChrisK018 macrumors regular

I think your iPhone is trying to tell you something...

EVERYTHING IS BETTER IN ALL CAPS. I'M WHISPERING THIS.

12. hollerz macrumors 6502a

hollerz

This really annoys me too! It still hasn't learned that I don't want it capitalized! :(

13. chr1s60 macrumors 68000

chr1s60

The phone wants to capitalize almost all the 3 letter abbreviations or extensions that I use.

14. d wade macrumors 65816

d wade

another annoyed LOL typer here. i always x it out but it always wants to shout! shout! let it all out...

15. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

Or if you misspell "if" and it replaces it with "I'd". (at least on my touch)

16. kyleaa macrumors regular

17. akm3 macrumors 68020

Those are called TLA's...

18. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A93 Safari/419.3)

I don't know if you were joking but in case anyone doesn't know, you don't have to press the x: anywhere on the suggested word will do the trick

19. saltyzoo macrumors 65816

saltyzoo

Capital letters are lower on the ASCII chart and therefore use less 1's in their binary representation. Since 1's require more current than 0's in memory, your battery will last longer, and you'll use less energy if you type with all caps. DO YOUR PART TO FIGHT GLOBAL WARMING! Just think how much energy we would save if we all used nothing but caps....

20. BiikeMike macrumors 65816

BiikeMike

I was hoping this thread was about being ticked off at the USE of lol. Because I am! I CAN'T STAND all those abbreviations! In all of my text messages, emails, and forum posts, I always use full sentences, and correct English. I just don't understand why people think its "cool" to use those stupid abbreviations.

21. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

its not 'cool'. its just easier. and well its an abbreviation that has become somewhat standard.

22. 156457 macrumors 6502

WTF :S

I don't think it's cool, it just a way of showing I'm not a moody old git and laugh sometimes, what do you want me to do, use the cheesy "haha". How else can you show your laughing.

Yes, that was very funny indeed. - No, that sounds stupid. I don't understand how anyone could think their cool saying lol... how stupid.

23. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

We basically do it just to piss you off.

lol.

24. JSchwage macrumors 6502a

JSchwage

But "lol" is a lie most of the time. Are you really laughing out loud every time you say it? I think we should all adopt "loi" (laughing on inside) which originated on the Buzz Out Loud podcast. :D

25. citron230 macrumors 6502a

citron230

you sure do laugh alot:p