Is anyone else tired of "new" features?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Dsr1205, Jun 21, 2010.

1. Dsr1205 macrumors 6502

I have been with iPhone from the beginning and it was super doper freaking awesome at first. There was so much potential! Now i can't help but think about how apple seems like it will be in a pattern of releasing "new" features for the OS when they aren't "new" at all. New to the platform, yes, but not new to the competition.

Isn't it silly that we all cheer and say hip hip hooray for stuff like folders? i mean c'mon, why can't we update news in the background? (rss, news apps, etc) Its one feature left out of "multitasking" that would seem like a big important thing right?

Put this os "update" in perspective. I feel silly getting excited about stuff my friends with android phones could do years ago. Android may not be as nice and polished but man i feel silly "multitasking" on my iPhone now when i know that its mostly a farce that only some apps benefit from.

My thoughts about the os update.

2. robotrondeluxe macrumors newbie

3. JCCL macrumors 6502a

It doesn't support Flash, and probably will never support it.

4. Dchip24 macrumors newbie

are you ****ing kidding me?

wow... just wow. :confused:

5. iPhonedHome macrumors 6502

.... and why in the F does my iPhone now burn my toast after iOS4 install?

6. SiskoKid macrumors 6502

I've never used anything but an iPhone so I have no idea what Androids do differently.

So as someone not in the know, can you explain to me what Android does better? Does Android do folders? Can it multitask flawlessly without crashing the phone or closing an app? How long do the batteries last on the android phones (I know my coworker wants to throw her EVO 4G out the window cause it dies before the day is over and she forgets her charger sometimes)?

Just enlighten me what's so much better about an Android phone. I think I can safely say that there are more apps on an iPhone at least at this stage.

I just hear these comparisons on these forums sometimes but they're never substantive. Just someone tell me what makes Android phones superior in some area.

7. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

I'm sure he wasn't serious.

8. Dsr1205 thread starter macrumors 6502

this isn't a "bitch about flash thread" this is a "apple is slowing os development by releasing "new" features when others have had them for years" thread.

9. frunkis54 macrumors 65816

frunkis54

i heard ios 5 will support flash:D

10. bahooki macrumors regular

You're not honestly implying that IOS4 does flawless multitasking are you?

11. robotrondeluxe macrumors newbie

Yes, features like Flash. In my opinion, iOS is useless until it supports advanced activities like Farmville and http://www.hulu.com.

12. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

I'm still not sure what your point is.

If you're tired of new features, don't update.

But that's just your thread title. Your posts seem to be saying the opposite. Your title and your posts don't match each other, so I'm not sure what you're actually trying to say.

13. nlr macrumors 6502

I agree totally, The things which we are getting now should of been with the first iphone release with even more things like widgets, custom sms tones and better lock-screen and would like to see passwords coming to folders..

I want to see more unique ideas coming to the iphone?

14. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Both are coming to the iPhone. Neither will need Flash.

15. SiskoKid macrumors 6502

No, and frankly there's no way to tell at this point because barely any apps are able to multitask.

However, I am asking these questions because I don't know anything about Android phones, but I do see Android people from time to time saying that it's better, but not saying HOW it's better.

So far everything I've seen is that the iPhone (the 4 in particular) is a far more powerful device with far better battery life, better apps and better UI. I just want to know what Android does better because I'm just not seeing why anyone really bitches about the iPhone OS.

16. robotrondeluxe macrumors newbie

Maybe. But I suspect we will see it sooner. Like in 4.0.1 or maybe 4.0.2.

17. SiskoKid macrumors 6502

Not sure if this is a snarky response. But so people know, the mobile Flash that barely works on Android phones will not allow you to watch Hulu.

And based on videos of Flash on Android, I wouldn't be excited to use it anyway.

18. Dsr1205 thread starter macrumors 6502

I love the custom sms tone argument. I love how a phone billed as the most advanced phone on the planet can only allow 7 different sounds for sms. now THAT would be a ground breaking feature.

And for thoes wondering about android. This coming from a iphone user (me): its ok, not as pretty, rough around the edges in my opinion, less apps but the apps that are there are not bounded by some ridiculous app approval process. Anything goes makes **** crash sometimes and battery life is a problem sometimes but man i feel dumb with my iphone when the androids are running around with custom sms tones.

19. Saladinos macrumors 68000

Saladinos

Well, the great thing about the iPhone is that you DO get new features. Android phones don't have a very long lifetime before their manufacturer drops them and updates stop flowing.

Even the iPhone 3G is getting in on this update. My Android phone that was _released_ last Sept/Oct is stuck on 1.6 and is confirmed not to get any updates. Ever.

Oh, and how are custom SMS tones "smart"? Android's copy and paste system is still lightyears behind the iPhone's. Also, ask any of those Android users how many games there are for their phones. I mean real games, like Need for Speed or Civ Rev or Geometry Wars.

20. nlr macrumors 6502

Are you guys joking? I remember steve refusing anything to do with flash and adobe..

21. Tara Luvs Apple macrumors 6502a

Apple may be late in some things, but they have stated that they wait just to do it right. People complain on here about stuff, and if you are really complaining, then get rid of the phone.

22. Dsr1205 thread starter macrumors 6502

You bought a phone less than a year ago that was running 1.6? lol thats the reason it got dropped man. Android has its fair share of updating woes, im not saying its better in all ways but i hear they are finally gonna polish the thing. Also remember when iPhone was "revolutionary" now were "evolutionary". hopefully android will start to scare apple into making this platform awesome again instead of "yaaa features other phones have had but we have now too!"

23. robotrondeluxe macrumors newbie

Actually, there is a version of Photoshop for the iPhone so I think they have an ok relationship with Adobe.

24. Dsr1205 thread starter macrumors 6502

i love apple stuff, don't get me wrong about that. But c'mon theres a level where "doing it right" and "behind the curve" meet and we are approaching that place.

25. Razorhog macrumors 65816

Razorhog

I understand the point the OP is trying to make. It does seem like Apple is agonizingly slow at releasing features. However, for the most part, when they do implement a new feature, it is done right. Many factors come into play: usability, battery life, memory usage, network load, program compatibility, and probably a lot of other things I don't know about or can't think of.