Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Krevnik

macrumors 601
Sep 8, 2003
Yes, do keep it to your self, so that way no one coming on here to read what they might be exposed to in moving to this OS can see it, LOL!

I have used Mac's and their OS systems for over 20 years professionally, from what I have encountered, what my advertising and editorial agencies have encountered, this is by FAR the most bug ridden and dangerous OS to put on a professionally used Mac any of us have ever encountered in terms of early adotption.

That my fellow Mac user, is not a troll....

Worse than 10.0? Really?

Macshroomer

macrumors 65816
Dec 6, 2009
Worse than 10.0? Really?

Ah, well, maybe not that bad. But I did not use 10.0 professionally, only in a Ti-400 for leisure.

It's all good now, I upgraded all my internal drives to 3TB, went back to 10.6.8 and I am flying right along.

Maybe I will use Lion when I upgrade laptops next year, but for now, I enjoy life most when I am *not* on a computer......render almost done...

Gemütlichkeit

macrumors 65816
Nov 17, 2010
People throwing around "power user" term here and there because they know a few commands in the console. No, hiding the hard drive isn't removing a power users rights.. if you're using osx, you're most likely not a power user to begin with.

it's like calling a code kiddy a ligament hacker.

baryon

macrumors 68040
Oct 3, 2009
I wouldn't say I'm very impressed with Lion: I don't find a big difference between Lion and Snow Leopard, except for Mission Control which I actually don't like at all.

I like Full Screen apps but I don't use them at all as they are buggy and they don't work well with other, non-full screen apps. Mission Control makes it a confusing mess. I'd rather have all my apps windowed, even though I like the concept of Full Screen.

I don't like Resume and I find it unpractical and annoying, so I disabled it.

I hate the 4-finger pinch and unpinch gestures, they're hard to do. I like Launchpad, but without an easy gesture, I can't integrate it into my workflow.

I don't like the bugs at all, and there are loads. Many more bugs in Lion than there were in Snow Leopard at release time. Things like keyboard input randomly not working, gestures not working in all apps (even the same gestures that used to work no longer work in some apps), etc... are very annoying.

I truly hate the new Finder organizing methods (Arrange By) and I hate that the old, better method (Sort By) is now only available if you press Alt. Yet another bug here, is it won't work if you first open the menu and THEN press Alt, you must press Alt before opening the menu, otherwise it does Arrange By even though it says Sort By.

I like the disappearing scrollbars, the gestures to switch from one desktop to another, the "group files into folder" feature, the new look of buttons and windows, and the fact that windows reopen when you reboot. I also like the Safari zoom feature, as well as the new Preview and Quick Look interfaces. I like Natural Scrolling a lot, though we should be able to set it off for normal mice and on for the trackpad independently.

I don't like how, when switching from one desktop to another, the menu bard and the desktop icons don't get carried over but reappear. They should simply stay put, as well as the background picture, and only the desktop contents should move. The menu bar, the icons, the dock, and the background picture (not necessarily, but why not) should all stay where they are, just like in Spaces. It makes more sense: your menu bar and icons don't change from one Desktop to another.

The new Mail is amazing, and iCal has some nice tweaks, but nothing special. I like the new Safari features, like the Reading list and the Download popup thingy.

Overall, there are more features I like than the ones I don't like, and most of the ones I don't like can be disabled, except for Mission Control, unfortunately, which is a major annoyance.

iGrouch

macrumors member
Jul 28, 2007
Off Ramp M50
Even LaunchPad is great for me, it's completely replaced my Applications Folder. I even removed the folder from my dock.

Yep. Have to agree. Did the same thing. I even went so far and dumped the whole Application folder; like who needs it anymore. Wait.........

oh S*&^t!!!!!!!

:eek:

EDIT:

Phew.... Just found that app folder:D

Seriously though, Apple has this time done something odd. So much so that by happenstnce it made me stumble on a work around (I've been banging on about this, over the last number of days) that has radically changed how I use my Mac now, in terms of window management. Mission Control is being used sparingly and now that I am using HyperDock looking back at Expose and Spaces was a GUI of bells & whistles showing off. So ironically by making Lion worse it has in fact, for me made it better by forcing me to use something better than anything Apple devised. And I hate to say it folks, but the HyperDock features is sooo Windoze.

Last edited by a moderator:

robanga

macrumors 68000
Aug 25, 2007
Oregon
Its been a great upgrade for us. I am running Lion on 4 out of 5 Macs now. These are used for work, a small business and home use. Mission control is pretty nice. The new mail.app is a big step forward. I like the new layout of Finder. Even little details like the "about this Mac" have been improved.

Full screen apps are great, its going to be neat to see more of them adopting the feature.

I get it that change in general is hard on people and every time a new OS comes out there are some bugs and issues, but its been a great experience here.

sjinsjca

macrumors 68020
Oct 30, 2008
That my fellow Mac user, is not a troll....

I'll take your word for it.

Professional user here, too. I pound the dickens out of my machines. And so far, knock wood, my experience has been nothing short of sublime. Installation was smooth, software incompatibilities were minimal and predictable, and everything is faster and snappier through its superior utilization of my machine's ample RAM and many other tweaks and revisions, of which there are many.

No. Problems. At. All.

It's been an amazing upgrade.

robanga

macrumors 68000
Aug 25, 2007
Oregon
Security is another big one. I am looking forward to encrypting with the new File Vault. I am starting on one or two machines this week.

Steve's Barber

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2011
Security is another big one. I am looking forward to encrypting with the new File Vault. I am starting on one or two machines this week.

I have Lion on a bootable 5400RM external drive and it's encrypted via FileVault. I barley notice any speed degradation (if any at all). I can see full encryption on an internal HD drive working fine. SSD's will take a hit though.

ditzy

macrumors 68000
Sep 28, 2007
Other than a few applications not working properly, which I expect this soon into a new OS. I have had no problems. I didn't like natural scroll, but I was able to turn that off, so no big deal. I love mission control, I don't like launchpad, so I don't use it. On the iMac some of the full screen apps don't make sense, so I don't use them, others like Pages are brilliant. In short it has given me more options and I like that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.