Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ericfelt

macrumors newbie
Jul 15, 2008
Yes the speed difference is amazing. I always forget about fast app switching because it already closes and loads everything so quickly.

crazyitalian198

macrumors regular
Jan 19, 2006
I used to think to myself..."how do people play games on this thing?"....

Navigon was a waste....so pointless.

Now I understand....it all makes sense!

except for lefties ;)

mrblack927

macrumors 6502a
Aug 19, 2008
It's a little faster than the 3GS and MUCH faster than the 3G, but what really does it for me is how well the new software takes advantage of the added horsepower.

palmerc2

macrumors 68000
Feb 29, 2008
Los Angeles
Yes absolutely. It is such a major leap up from the 3G

I know this is software related, but I really love the new GUI. I have a custom wallpaper on my home screen, and when I click on an app the wallpaper also expands a little. I think it's awesome and adds an amazing effect. I also love the fast app switching.

I love the screen, and again I appreciate the speed so much

Geez1234

macrumors newbie
Jun 21, 2010
yea, big difference. I surf on safari constantly, so I was getting reaalllly tired of having to reload tabs every time I switched. This is great!

marv117

macrumors newbie
Apr 19, 2010
I made the switch from the 2G to the 4....and it is unbelievable...not only the fact that I'm going from EDGE to 3G, but the apps and everything move so much faster. It's so awesome! I love this phone!!!

Ditto! My 2g to 4 upgrade is like night and day!

myosh

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2002
As a user of the original iPhone (2G/EDGE), the new iPhone 4 is blowing it away! It feels like the iPhone 4 is 100 times faster (apps and web browsing) and the display on this thing is mind-blowing.

FWIW, I just ran the Speedtest app and it's showing that I'm getting 2300 kbps down and 1015 kbps up. That is comparable to my DSL connection at home except the iPhone has double the upload speed.

ghostlyorb

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2010
Virginia, USA
yeah... as soon as I turned on my iPhone 4, I was feeling the power! I'm glad that my friends who have the 3Gs (and I had the 3G), I now have the better phone!

mike4

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2010
I made the switch from the 2G to the 4....and it is unbelievable...not only the fact that I'm going from EDGE to 3G, but the apps and everything move so much faster. It's so awesome! I love this phone!!!

Same here! I'm blown away by the speed, and the screen as I'm sure everyone else is. It's a very nice phone. Almost too nice, I just want to stare at it...

Vertigo50

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2007
Yes. It's so fast it's shocking. I click an app and it's sort of disorienting to have it open so fast. It keeps kind of freaking me out.

It's also nice to see the transitions when opening an app. With my 3G, I would open an app, but the phone would get sort of "stuck" for a second, and usually skip the transition animation and just go to the app. Anyone know what I mean by that? It's nice not to have that now.

InvalidBassist

macrumors regular
Feb 8, 2008
Chicago
Its threads like this that make me sad that I have to wait until Tuesday to try to get one from an AT&T store.

But in the same way, I'm super excited about it.

Airforcekid

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2008
United States of America
Geez that is a huge step. I remember when I first got my iPhone 3G I didn't have 3G service where I live so I turned it off and used Edge for about 4 months straight. Then one day I just turned on the 3G and I had 5 bars everywhere. Huge leap lol.

Quite a few 2G's to 4 here. It's definitely worth it!

Same for me I used it for GPS but I left 3g off until after an update it showed full 3g didn't even know I had it!

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008
Pretty insane, I also did a SL upgrade 3 days ago from Tiger, and that is also pretty nice. It's like I got a new phone and a new computer inside of a week!

joshwithachance

macrumors 68010
Dec 11, 2009
You 3G upgraders are getting 4x more ram and 4x more pixels, LUCKY! Us 3GS owners only get 2x the ram aha :p

This thing SCREAMS though! I love it <3

SouthBeachMac

macrumors member
Mar 27, 2010
I don't know if that is normal... you may want to take it back. :rolleyes:

Also a 3G upgrader...speed and graphics are night and day. I have been spoiled with having the iPad though, which I would say (rightfully so) is still a little faster than the iPhone 4, but the screen on iPhone 4 wins there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.