Is anyone getting HORRIBLE battery life Post- 2.02 update?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by matthews, Aug 24, 2008.

1. matthews macrumors regular

Mine barely lasts a day now where it was fine before the update.

Think it's worth my going to Apple tomorrow and saying something?

2. StingerT125 macrumors 6502a

StingerT125

I haven't noticed any difference in my battery life since I updated. Everything seems the same.

3. hexonxonx macrumors 601

I still go about two days on one charge and get about 6-8 hours usage. Mostly music, apps and a few phone calls.

4. MotionxxUSxx macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_0_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5C1 Safari/525.20)

No difference

5. sk8mash macrumors 6502a

sk8mash

6. atticus063 macrumors newbie

Mines been terrible to, if you google it more people have been having problems.
    Doesnt even last a day also and thats with only 30 mins usage.
    Im gunna phone apple later on today.

7. gibbz macrumors 68030

Mine has been shooting thru the battery quickly as well.

8. steve31 macrumors 6502a

steve31

Me too! Worked fine till 2.0.2. and now it seems very hard on the battery even when I turn off gps,3g,wifi and bluetooth.:mad:

9. atticus063 macrumors newbie

Yep ive even got rid of all the apps on mine, still makes no difference.Would downgrading to 1.1.4 work?

10. ogdogg macrumors 6502

Mine has been getting worse battery time as well. But I thought it was just due to me watching movies on it lately...

11. AnalyzeThis macrumors 6502

A little step to max your battery life

If you want to max your battery usage simply make sure you always return to the home screen before putting your phone to sleep. This action will guarantee there is no app running.

If you leave any App running it will continue to run on a background and drain your battery even when the screen is off aka the phone is "sleeping".

My 3G is on 2.0.1FW. It is possible Apple boosted radio amplifier in 2.0.2FW, it may drain battery faster.

Also very short battery life may indicate a defect in the phone itself. My first one (the troublemaker) was very quick on battery.

Good Luck!

12. mrtune macrumors 6502a

My iphone 3g battery life has sucked since the day I bought it and through every update thus far.

Even with 3g, location services, push all off, the battery is half of what my old iphone used to give me.

I hate the battery life!!!

My phone has never seen more than 5 hours usage unless I had playing music through it with the screen off.

13. vrflyer macrumors 6502

vrflyer

Chiming in, v2.0.1 was pretty good almost as the original v2.0.0. I have noticed a battery leak somewhere. I usually leave iPod app (music to fall asleep) running with timer turned ON for 1:30hrs. Wake up and battery is nearly the 30%, whereas in the past F/W it would be at around 60%~70%.

Something is def. going on - battery wise. :confused:

14. rotobadger macrumors 65816

rotobadger

Your battery life is nearly identical to mine (horrible). I too have ALL services turned off (push, 3G, location, etc). On my V1 phone I would get about 6 hours to the 20 percent mark. On my 3G I get maximum 5 hours TO SHUT DOWN.

I love my iPhone but, at this point, if 2.1 does not fix these issues it's going back (with a fight that I should not have to pay ETF due to the fact that this phone will not come even CLOSE to the advertised battery life). I'm keeping a very close eye on the Blackberry Thunder. I would love to return to Verizon if this Blackberry can compete with iPhone. We'll see though...

15. joebokeh macrumors member

I believe you guys.. But is there a possibility that you're getting worse battery life cuz you're playing with the phone more to check for what fixes are done?

Jus a thought...

16. StealthRider macrumors 65816

StealthRider

No, it's not. My usage patterns haven't changed at all since 2.0.2, and yet my battery dies very quickly. I can generally eke out 2.5 to 3 days on a single charge, but I'm dying at about a day now. This is with 3G, GPS, WiFi, and Bluetooth all turned off for the majority of the time, screen brightness set at about a quarter, and no push services. Unacceptable.

17. vega07 macrumors 65816

add me to the list. I have not changed by usage habits. in fact, I've used the phone LESS now because of this battery drop.

urgh.:mad:

18. rotobadger macrumors 65816

rotobadger

I have heard this argument before. I don't understand how "playing with my phone more" can affect battery life. Usage is usage. So if I "play" with my phone for 3 hours...that's 3 hours usage.

Also, my iPhone habits have not changed either. I have not been able to get anywhere close to Apple's battery life claims. Not even with a one hour handicap. I'm off more like 1.5 hours or more. Every single charge.

19. joebokeh macrumors member

but maybe for instance, you're playing with gps more than normal to see it's consistancy to see what .2 did... Or maybe you're doing more testmyiphone runs... Basically I was jus wonderin if you're sure you're using the phone the same way...

But from 3 days use changing to 1 is def a significant drop...

20. Trajectory macrumors 6502a

I haven't noticed a difference in battery life. But Safari is more screwed up and crashes about 8 times a day.

21. rotobadger macrumors 65816

rotobadger

Ah, ok. I see your point. In my case, however, I have kept push, location, and all other services off since day one. I rarely use 3G and if I do it is only for the moment I am on the web. I probably use 3G only once every two weeks or so.

Basically, I would have been better off sticking with my 1st gen phone. Hindsight is 20/20.

22. mrtune macrumors 6502a

I have all the power hungry features turned off and still get worse battery life than before with my first iPhone. All I use my phone for is to make calls, sends texts and emails, surf the web and play music.

On days where I use it for gps or playing games I fully expect my battery life to suffer a little bit. My big compaint is when I use my phone the same as my original iphone and my battery life still sucks. I used to get 7-8 hours on the usage meter before and now I get less than 5 with identical usage patterns.

Rumor has it that the new iPhone has a physically smaller battery than the original. Pretty dumb move by apple considering they added a bunch of new features which are known battery drainers. If anything, they should have added a bigger battery.

23. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

Battery life is great for, even with 2.0.2, except when using 3G. Even just a little. Then it uses so much I can actually watch the level drop ~20% per 10 minutes of Safari use. Switch back to EDGE and it'll go all day long.

24. snverhallen macrumors 6502a

It sounds like both of you have faulty batteries. I would perhaps bring it to your Apple store and request a new replacement, because your battery usage times are definitely not up to par.

snverhallen

25. radiotowers macrumors member

I upgraded to 2.0.2 and kept it for about two days. Both days, the battery drained to almost nothing even though I used it very little on those days.

Seriously: no phone calls, a few texts, a few minutes browsing in Safari. Nothing else. Under 2.0.1 and prior, I would've had 90% battery life at least. But it was dead by mid-evening under 2.0.2.

Not jailbroken, either.

I downgraded to 2.0.1 again and everything is fine once more.