Is anyone here solely on powerpc?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Lil Chillbil, Dec 14, 2016.

1. Lil Chillbil macrumors 65816

Lil Chillbil

I've been wondering this, is anyone going into 2017 still 100% Powerpc? The last time I ran that was in late 2013.

2. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

No, but only because I got an MBP thinking my son would need some Intel power for the program he's in at school. Turns out they provide laptops so it wasn't necessary.

But other than that one MBP everything else I use is PowerPC.

3. pochopsp macrumors 6502

pochopsp

No, because i need sometimes software which runs only on windows, but my favourite PC, and it is what I use the most, is my MDD

4. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

I am thinking it is coming time for Altemose to do a PowerPC Challenge for 2017.

5. 128keaton macrumors 68020

128keaton

The 14" iBook would accompany you beautifully.

6. Gamer9430 macrumors 68020

Gamer9430

I could easily be PowerPC only in 2017. My G5 could easily be my daily driver, and could be at time I want it to be.

7. Hallivand macrumors regular

Hallivand

Purely G5 for the last 12 months - only now getting a used MBP 2.23Ghz to support my classic (only syncs with iTunes for Snow Leopard +)

8. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

No, I got my first Mac firmly in the Intel era. But I consider PowerPC to be both a fun hobby and a useful platform despite some limitations.
    I have not tried a PowerPC challenge yet. I have had appropriate desktop hardware for a little while now (Power Mac G5 Quad), but am a bit more unsure with the choice portable. I suppose my 1.67 GHz (early, not late 2005) 15" PowerBook G4 would do, provided I get a fresh battery for it and preferably an SSD.

Needless to say I'd be very interested in the results of your PowerPC challenge.

9. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I'm not brave enough to do a PowerPC challenge. If I'm honest I actually have more ARM machines than PPC at this point so I'm more likely to do an ARM challenge, but that probably doesn't interest you guys so much :p

10. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

It may not interest them but it'd interest me..heck I may join you in that challenge maybe we could set something like that up in the community forums.

11. Dronecatcher macrumors 68000

Dronecatcher

I was until very recently.
    I splashed out on a Core Duo 20" iMac and a Core Duo 17" Macbook Pro simply because they were nearly mint and at give away prices.
    Their clear advantage is navigating the web - two sites in particular, Flickr and WebSDR really take it out on my PPCs, apart from my Quad which wasn't comfortable to use in the Summer months.
    In every other respect my PPCs are fit for purpose ie making music, graphic design and video work plus the current enthusiast environment for PPC is healthier than the one for early Intel Macs.
    I use Adobe CS3 for design and Propellerheads Reason 4 and Garageband for making music - I can use these across most of my PPC Macs and I've absolutely no need to upgrade to higher Intel only versions - a bunch of CPU intensive plugins will not make me a better musician ;)

12. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Indeed... Sorry I have been slow to reply to your email. I sent you an email yesterday.

Let's do it as part of the challenge. I will probably do it the first week of 2017.

If I recall correctly, even the last generation iPod Classics will sync with iTunes 10.6.3 on Leopard.

I am thinking I will do it the first week of 2017. I did a SSD swap in my 1.67 GHz PowerBook G4, and it really woke it up. Now, I need to upgrade the RAM in order to make it a little more usable in TenFourFox, as I only have 1.25 GB at the moment.

Regardless, it would be a fun thread to read!

13. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Well, I'm sorry to disappoint but it won't be any time soon. I may get there eventually but I still rely on a few Intel things (not counting my WoW addiction :p)

14. Hrududu macrumors 68020

Hrududu

I think if MobileMe/iCloud would still sync with Leopard I could pull off going full PPC for a year. I've got all the last and fastest systems at my disposal, so it would be the best possible PPC experience available. I think the biggest struggle would be going mobile since even the fastest PowerBooks don't play that nicely with modern websites. The reality of it is I easily use PowerPC more than Intel systems as is.

15. Gamer9430 macrumors 68020

Gamer9430

I'm down to do a 1 week PPC-only challenge. Let's make it a forum wide challenge!

16. Lil Chillbil thread starter macrumors 65816

Lil Chillbil

The second I attempt a powerpc challenge its over, I need Teamspeak 3 for work and the last version for Powerpc is such a security risk that most servers (including ours) doesn't let you connect. I'd had to have linux running

17. Gamer9430 macrumors 68020

Gamer9430

Well, you could always use linux on PPC! I never stated in the rules that you had to use OS X, although it is preferred ;)

18. Lil Chillbil thread starter macrumors 65816

Lil Chillbil

Screw it, i'll do a powerpc challenge first week of 2017 on my MDD, if I need to i'll just run TS3 on my iphone for conferencing.

19. bobesch macrumors 6502a

bobesch

It's fun to use the whole bunch of options: PPC, Leopard, Tiger, Classic, os9, VirtualPC with Win95, Win2K, WinXP, old intel-iMac c2duo/Lion, Remote Desktop/VPN to Win2008Server, VM-Fusion with Win7/10pro/Ubuntu and fast i7quad MBP to eat and OCR masses of papers...
    The "PPC-challenge" is a great idea (!!!) - but I fear the threat of headache and chest pain if I would have to stick with any of the elder systems solely, even if it's just for a single week, mainly because of remembering those f*****g moments, when my "old" pre 2009 stuff didn't work and caused a lot of headache, which in my case had been related to PC's and WinMobile-Phone. I got my first MacBookPro late 2009 and an iPhone 3gs a bit later. Since then the feeling about computing changed from encounter and resolve problems to discover more and more options...
    When I use PPC etc. now, it's just up to the point, where it's still fun - I don't want to be frustrated encountering any limitations in a situation when I have to rely on a working system.
    Anyway, have fun with the challenge - I'm looking forward reading about your experience!

20. 128keaton macrumors 68020

128keaton

I can trade my 80GB classic with you, it syncs with Leopard

21. RhianB, Dec 15, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2016

RhianB macrumors 6502

RhianB

Suuuuure, Eric. You're just a closet intel lover :D

Seriously though, I use PPC almost exclusively on a day to day basis. I do jump on my intel aluminum macbook for job search stuff but my quicksilver g4 or my powermac g5 are daily drivers for me (whichever one I have on). I could easily do a week long PPC challenge and not feel a squeeze.

22. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Keep us posted on when you will attempt the challenge. It is a good read for all of us who still embrace "alternative" platforms like PowerPC and ARM. Surprisingly, the ARM CPUs I see now coming into Chromebooks are actually quite capable for what they need to do, and I have no doubt that they have a future in devices like that.

After getting on MacRumors for the first time in a while, I actually fired up my PowerBook which has sat unused for the better part of six months. I cannot tell you how much I miss using this, and am going to try and use it as much as I can, including the PowerPC challenge. Web browsing is a hit or miss experience on any older computer, regardless of being PC or Mac. Fortunately, I am quite pleased with the latest version of TenFourFox and Bluhell along with the tweaks. It really comes to life on my 1.67 GHz PowerBook G4 with a SSD and 1.25 GB of RAM.

Sounds good!

You beat me to creating a thread...

23. Nermal, Dec 16, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2016

Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

It'll be a while, if ever, but I've at least taken the trouble to post this reply from one of my ARMs - specifically this message posted from NetSurf 3.6, running on a recent nightly build of RISC OS, running on Raspberry Pi 1 (ARMv6). NetSurf's layout engine apparently needs a bit of work because this is fairly dire... to the point where I may actually see whether the source is readable and whether I can fix anything.

Attached Files:

24. Adamscomputerrepair macrumors 6502

Adamscomputerrepair

I'll happily take this challenge. Considering I used a PPC from may till the end of August and only a PPC, I think I'll do fine.