Is anyone NOT using the app folders?

FloridaMac

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 15, 2008
Destin, Fl
I think it's a pretty cool feature on the iphone 4, but I've heard of some people not using them. What is your preference?

Stein357

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2010
Rip City
I think it's a pretty cool feature on the iphone 4, but I've heard of some people not using them. What is your preference?
1 page of apps in folders > 4 pages of apps without folders IMO but some people are probably happy with the old ways of things.

twelve56

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2008
Sunny England
My layout is the exact same as pre ios4. The only folder i have is named junk, with the stocks, notes, clock, contacts and compass apps inside.

maddux2005

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2010
I love folders. Finally I can install 300+++ apps (up to 2000) and not have to delete em. Also I don't have to scroll through 10 pages of apps to get to what I want. I have home screen 2 with nothing but game folders. Game folders 1-16 full of nothing but games :) this could not be done without folders. They simply wouldn't fit within the 10 screen limit.

Plus there a hassle to scroll through all 10 Home screens when I wanna browse for a game to play.

Also when I want to check out my music apps, bam..music folder. I want to view some streaming apps (twit, Justin tv etc) then I goto my streaming folder.

I want sports, I check my sports folder. It's a much better way of organizing and browsing my apps. Love it!

FamiliaPhoto

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2009
Chicago, IL
Huge folder fan here. Allowed me to decrease my totals pages by a third. Must less paging and easier access to apps. My favorite is the ability to place a folder in the bottom dock. I'm a photographer and this has allowed me to have a folder there for my different gallery apps for easy access when showing clients. Just wonderful.

tesilential

macrumors regular
May 9, 2010
Apps look weird without folders!

If you have multiple pages of apps like I do then folders are pretty useful IMHO. :apple:

Exactly. I don't want to organize 5 pages of apps.

All my apps are in folders, with the exception of the phone, messaging and safari app in my dock.

The first dock spot is held by a utilities folder with navigation and restaurant and service locator apps (Siri, MapQuest, Maps, Dragon Dictation and Clock.

EDIT: Does anyone know of any good apps for locating stores and restaurants?

Jare

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2010
Canada
As much as I want to use folders, I just can't. I prefer the look of the icons regardless of page amount vs. the folder icon with icons inside.

Just a personal preference though and it will probably change eventually.

iphone1105

macrumors 68020
Oct 8, 2009
I have 13 folders total.

I like to group my news apps in one, games in another, media apps in another. I like to break them down by category. Very useful for me, because I like to group apps.

xMastemah

macrumors member
Dec 6, 2009
I have 13 folders total.

I like to group my news apps in one, games in another, media apps in another. I like to break them down by category. Very useful for me, because I like to group apps.
That would be the purpose of them after all o.o

bdenge

macrumors member
Jun 29, 2010
At first I didn’t think I would like the folders since it took an extra click to open the folder then another click to launch the app. But once I had everything organized, I realized it would actually save me clicks since I didn’t have to flip through 7 or 8 pages of apps. Now my first page is no folders, and my 2nd page is all folders.

wineandcarbs

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2008
I'm only using 1 folder, the Utilities folder that was already there when I got my iPhone. I then moved a few things i don't use into it. But everything else is just there, no folders. I only have 2 pages of apps though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.