Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

F123D

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2008
Del Mar, CA
I use them for all my reference and music apps. However, I noticed any app I place in a folder, I use them less because they're not infront of me on the screen.

SkipperDan

macrumors newbie
Jun 6, 2010
I haven't given them a fair chance yet.. but so far I prefer the old way.

I think it would look better if we could choose one large icon instead of the little icons of the app's in the folder.
I agree. I my opinion, all the mini icons look silly.

thelatinist

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2009
Connecticut, USA
I keep my home screen full of my most used apps, with the second page all the rest of my apps organized into folders. This way everything is within one swipe and two taps.

applekiwipeach

macrumors member
Jul 5, 2010
all my most frequently used apps are standing alone, and the rest are in folders. I can't do without folders. just way too many apps (too greedy while downloading i guess...)

Edit: Actually mine is organized almost exactly as thelainist. I have two pages too. The first page with mainly most frequently used utility apps standing alone, and only 1 folder for "news & social network". My second page is mostly folders, with very few utility apps standing alone. I also find that the 2-page set up allows me to be the most efficient.

I have tried using mainly without folders. I could never find anything without page turning back and forth...

FloridaMac

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 15, 2008
Destin, Fl
I keep my home screen full of my most used apps, with the second page all the rest of my apps organized into folders. This way everything is within one swipe and two taps.

I'm about to change mine to this format. Right now I've got just the first page with a few stand alone apps and the rest in folders.

The LPT

macrumors regular
Mar 8, 2010
I only have one folder to keep all my speed dial icons which I keep in my dock. Much easier than using favorites while driving.

IBradMac

macrumors 68000
Jun 27, 2008
Ohio
I use them. Kinda. I use them so I don't have 50 pages of apps. But I almost always access/open apps through the multitasking bar.

danno1769

macrumors member
Jul 7, 2010
I used to not use the folders then I grouped up all my Unused apps, threw them in a folder and moved them to page 3 where I have nothing

murano

macrumors member
Nov 17, 2009
San Antonio
Exactly. I don't want to organize 5 pages of apps.

All my apps are in folders, with the exception of the phone, messaging and safari app in my dock.

The first dock spot is held by a utilities folder with navigation and restaurant and service locator apps (Siri, MapQuest, Maps, Dragon Dictation and Clock.

EDIT: Does anyone know of any good apps for locating stores and restaurants?

I usually use iWant.

Block

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2007
I use just enough to keep all my apps on 2-3 pages. The delay time between when you press the folder and when you can press the app makes it a lot less appealing than just leaving all the most often used apps outside the folder. Apps that don't see consistent usage tend to be in folders though.

The Poet

macrumors member
Jun 6, 2010
I don't like how the folders look, thus I only use them for Apps with ugly Icons. :>
(btw. I do not even have many Apps since most of them are pretty useless imho)

dizzy130

macrumors member
Jul 7, 2010
I love my folders. I have two rows of most used apps and two rows of folders for apps grouped by type. One screen. Sooooo much better than swiping through a whole bunch of screens. I actually use apps more because I hated swiping through screens so much.

Block

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2007
I don't like how the folders look, thus I only use them for Apps with ugly Icons. :>
(btw. I do not even have many Apps since most of them are pretty useless imho)

You just haven't found the right Apps yet ;)

ks-man

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2007
Me I don't like them, I think it would look better if we could choose one large icon instead of the little icons of the app's in the folder.

My feeling exactly. I have such a hard time finding the right folder b/c they all have small boxes. I'd prefer to choose an icon for the folder. The iBooks icon is perfect for my folder with iB, Kindle, B&N, Borders etc.

Russiaone

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2010
My only wish is for an unlimited amount of space in folders...

Only having one or two games folders instead of four would be awesome...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.