Is anyone using the white MacBook switching to the Pro or the Air?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Retina MacBook, Jul 21, 2012.

?

Where will you be switching?

1. Retina Display MacBook Pro

7 vote(s)
    22.6%
  2. Standard 15" Non-Retina MacBook Pro

6 vote(s)
    19.4%
  3. 13" MacBook Pro

7 vote(s)
    22.6%
  4. 11" MacBook Air

2 vote(s)
    6.5%
  5. 13" MacBook Air

8 vote(s)
    25.8%
  6. Apple Desktop

1 vote(s)
    3.2%
  1. Retina MacBook macrumors regular

Just wondering where you'll switch. Because I'll be switching soon,

2. Kebabselector macrumors 68030

Kebabselector

Not switched yet, but would most likely go for the 13" MBA.

3. Liquinn Suspended

Why? :p The 13" Pro is better.

4. Nameci macrumors 68000

Nameci

Why? Because you don't need the latest and the greatest to get going.

5. imageWIS macrumors 6502a

The current 13" MB Pro is leaps and bounds ahead of the white MB. If you are going to do some decent amount of graphics work AND need a larger HD + faster / more RAM the MB Pro is the way to go. If not, there is no reason not to seriously consider the Air.

6. alfmoonspace macrumors member

I have a white unibody, just picked up a new 13 i5 macbook pro. Best bang for the buck with the macbook line right now.

7. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

I've got a late 2007 Macbook, and I've really been jonesin' for a new computer.

If I were to get one, I'd go with a maxed-out 11" Macbook Air. It hearkens back to my old 12" powerbook, and with a 512 GB SSD and 8 GB RAM, I would probably be able to stretch its lifespan to 5 years -- as I've done with my white macbook.

8. Kebabselector macrumors 68030

Kebabselector

If the screen wasn't glass covered and had a crap resolution then I'd agree. :D

9. NewAnger macrumors 6502a

I guess I went backwards. I sold my 15" MBP last December and bought a used white 2010 MB. Haven't regretted it and haven't noticed a difference for my uses.

10. Retina MacBook thread starter macrumors regular

11. NewAnger macrumors 6502a

Last desktop I owned was back in 2008, a iMac and a Mac Pro. Sold them both a year later and have been using Macbooks since.

12. kingoftherolex macrumors member

I just got the 13" MBP a couple days ago and the screen really isn't as bad as everybody makes it out to be. also, the glass is actually something I like, I just love the way it looks and feels.

13. mwhities macrumors 6502a

My first Apple system is a Mid 2010 Macbook. (I've had iPods and iPhones..) I love it and really don't see myself selling it anytime soon, if ever. I upgraded the ram to 8Gs and am considering a SSD once the prices drop more.

I have a Mac Mini currently as a desktop, I'll be getting a newer one, once the are refreshed (or a current one if the spec jumps are not all that much.) but, I'll keep my Macbook for my daily usage system at and away from the house.

14. NewAnger macrumors 6502a

I bet you do. :D

15. espiritujo macrumors member

espiritujo

Switching from a 2009 Macbook to a cMBP 15 inch AG. Personally, my macbook could've last a couple more years, but I really wanted to get a 15inch pro with the Anti-Glare screen. My order should be coming in on Thursday:D

I had some good times with that macbook. I had to replace the keyboard myself after I spilled dip spit on it one time :eek: Me and that computer have been through alot, and it's been to 10 different countries with me.

Why am I acting like this is it's funeral:confused::confused:

16. Kebabselector macrumors 68030

Kebabselector

With regards to the glass cover some will like it, some won't. I've used one for a few days and didn't like it. Sadly glass isn't the only problem, the resolution is the same as my 5.5 year old Macbook I'm typing on at the moment. If I dropped 1k on a laptop I'd prefer better resolution now.

17. CasuallyAwesome macrumors newbie

I need my disk drive so I will be going to the non-retna.

18. kingoftherolex macrumors member

I agree with you on expecting a better screen, as I did not notice much improvement coming from the late 2007 black macbook I was using before. I just meant at least the screen isn't horrendous or something.
    and the glass gets a little annoying depending on situation because of the glare, but I just feel like the gains in the aesthetics justify. but like you said, everybody is different.

19. TheGdog macrumors 6502

TheGdog

Because the air is much lighter and easer to carry. It also comes standard with an SSD, so it performs better. The Pro is not "better" its just a different solution.

20. eab191 macrumors newbie

i have the mid 2010 macbook uni and i can't be more pleased with it. Over the last year I've owned it i upgraded the ram to 4gb and i am even considering going up to 8gb. And i just recently installed a 750gb 7400 rpm hybrid ssd drive. right now this thing is fast, the only thing i wish i had was a better graphics card, but thats it

21. chibiterasu, Jul 24, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2012

chibiterasu macrumors 6502

chibiterasu

I had a 2010 and went to a 2012 due the the cracking of the on the back of the display (see pic below from google) I had the screen replaced 4 times for free under the 1 year apple care and then there 90 day warranty on all repairs before they said this is stupid and the upgraded me to a mbp (I had no choice between this and a MacBook Air but I will put an ssd in this when it starts to slow and move my 500gb HDD to the opti bay. If it wasn't for the free upgrade I would of still been on my 2010 and I would of upgraded to mountain lion and waited until my Mac was unsupported to new os updates until I would of brought a new Mac that way you get the biggest performance leap and the best bang for buck because you have made your £849 rrp (or £779 when I brought it from amazon) or $999 rrp go further.

Attached Files:

22. mwhities macrumors 6502a

So they gave you a MBP and you go to keep you Macbook? My mid 2010 currently has a crack in the back like the one you have pictured. I can say this honestly, if they offer me a MBP and I can't keep my Macbook, I'll decline the MBP. I'll just keep getting this one fixed.

23. chibiterasu macrumors 6502

chibiterasu

It was a CRU so I had to give up the white one. They will only replace the screen now if you have taken out apple care or some how you have warranty left. I started to get mine repaired at the end of 2011. I have a friend with a 2009 unibody macbook and I said to him to go and get that screen done but he didn't his warranty ran out and he didn't have apple care so they said we won't replace the screen unless you pay them just under £250 including taxes and labor which is expensive for a laptop that cost £849 2-3 years ago. It was also about a 3 hour round trip plus waiting 2-3 days for it to be repaired then another 3 hour trip to pick it up and take it home.

24. Flunkyturtle macrumors 6502

I had a core 2 duo MacBook 2006 and I loved it, it was a bit bashed as I bought it second hand. Sold it and bought one of the new 13 inch airs, absolutely love it.

25. Retina MacBook thread starter macrumors regular

When I looked at the benchmark of the White MacBook and the 11-Inch Air, I could not help but scream. An ultra thin notebook, and nearly the world's thinnest notebook was able to be 2.5x faster than the white MacBook. Imagine that. Imagine 2.5x. The White MacBook got 2000-3000. The 11-Inch i7 went to 6500-7100.

It's amazing how fast technology gets faster. And the machines are only 2 years apart.