Is anyone who has a 3GS eligible for iPhone 4 upgrade?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Gregintosh, Jun 17, 2010.

1. Gregintosh macrumors 68000

I got a 3GS at launch date (pre-ordered last year). It looks like I am not eligible for a full upgrade to iPhone 4 until February 2011, but it says I'd still be able to get an iPhone 4 at a slightly discounted price with a new 2 year agreement and $18 upgrade fee.

My question's this: is anyone who got a 3GS officially from Apple/ATT eligible for a full upgrade to iPhone 4 at or around launch?

It is interesting that really the only existing customers who can get the early upgrade are those who have the regular 3G or original iPhones while all 3GS owners still have some dues to pay.

I don't have to have it day of, which I know is sold out anyway, but I was hoping to upgrade in late July or early August at the latest. Otherwise, I may just have to sit this one out and get revision 2 next year.

2. grantsdale macrumors 6502a

Yes, I'd say millions of people.

3. iPhone 4 Me macrumors newbie

I'm eligible and I have a 3Gs. I've been eligible for each successive iPhone since I bought the original on launch day 2007.

4. LoganT macrumors 68020

I bought the iPhone 3GS in October 2009 and I'm eligible.

5. kozlosap macrumors member

My daughter is eligible! Her monthly bill is over $100 which seems to be part of the catch.;)

6. Gregintosh thread starter macrumors 68000

Hmm.. any idea of why my account would not be? I have the standard minutes, plus unlimited data, and an extra text messaging plan. Maybe I didn't buy enough add ons? heh.

LoganT, how big is your monthly bill???

7. PorterRocks macrumors 6502

PorterRocks

Looks like if you want the phone before your eligibility date, you'll have to pay that early upgrade price.

I bought my 3GS a week or two after launch and was eligible for the full discount on iPhone 4. :)

8. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

Same here. As the primary line on a family plan, I am eligible every year for a new phone.

9. Sketchr macrumors 6502a

Obtained the 3GS at June09 launch and I'm eligible for iPhone 4.

10. LoganT macrumors 68020

I'm on a family plan with 4 other people. I think our bill is over 300 dollars a month. AT&T will probably give you the generous offer of letting people upgrade if they are eligible within 6 months again next year.

11. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

I'm eligible, well, I even preordered and I have a 3GS, which about to be sold. Background, I bought my 32GB at $299, I got iPhone 4 32GB at $299.

12. Gregintosh thread starter macrumors 68000

Wow, looks like I'm the only one AT&T really hates or something. Do you think there's a chance this is a glitch in the system or should I talk to someone at AT&T about this?

13. Wicked1 macrumors 68040

Wicked1

Eligable for the full upgrade and i have a 3GS

14. NikFinn macrumors 6502a

NikFinn

I got my 3GS in December (2009) and I'm eligible

15. grantsdale macrumors 6502a

$100 a month on the line in question will get you eligible each year.

16. aristobrat macrumors G5

You're line isn't an additional line on a family plan, is it?

If you haven't seen it already, here are AT&T's eligibility rules:
    http://www.wireless.att.com/learn/why/upgrade-advantage.jsp

If you got the 3GS in June of last year, then you should be eligible to upgrade 18 months into your contract, as long as you're not an additional line on a family account. 18 months from last June is this December 2010, and anyone with an upgrade in 2010 should be able to upgrade now.

You've got nothing to lose by calling AT&T and seeing why you don't qualify!

17. Maverick1337 macrumors 65816

Maverick1337

I'm guessing your on a family plan and you arent available to upgrade until March 2011? The way people are able to upgrade annually is because they're either the primary holder on their family account, or their individual line costs them over 100$ per month. If they bought their 3GS anytime in 2009 they're eligible because AT&T bumped everyones upgrade within 6 months to get the iPhone 4. I was in the same boat you were in with the 3GS because I can only upgrade every 18 months.

18. allaw macrumors member

What I heard from different sources is you have to spend over $100 on the iPhone 3GS line to be eligible for the ATT early upgrade. But considering I am the only iPhone on my family plan with 4 phones and I am paying below $100 per month inclusive, I couldn't complain much. I think I have made up more in the monthly savings than the early upgrade discounts.
    p.s. I got my 3GS on launch day.

19. themadrussian macrumors regular

Sigh. I bought mine in August but since I'm AT&T Premier and pay only $76/mo, I'm not eligible until 1/11/2011. I bit the bullet and pre-ordered for $500. Considering that I sold my 3G unlocked/jailbroken when the 3GS came out and I actually made money off of the deal (sold the 3G for $450, bought the 3GS for 300), I don't feel so bad.

Now the waiting game to see if my phone actually arrives on the 24th or not...

20. LordOBoogie macrumors 6502a

LordOBoogie

Yes. Bought it on launch day. New iPhone on the way to me next Thursday at the fully subsidized price.

21. mysticbluebmw macrumors regular

I could be wrong, but for those who bought 3GS at launch, it looks like those who we're paying about $60-80$/month had eligibility dates in January or February 2011. Those in the $80-$100 range had eligibility dates around November, 2010. Those who paid more than $100/month were eligible June/July 2010.

The thing is AT&T pushed up all who were eligible for standard discount pricing through 12/2010 to make them eligible now for the iPhone 4 launch. Again, I may be wrong, but from reading the threads, that's what I gathered.

22. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

Call *639#, the upgrade date that gives you is the correct one. I got a text back saying I was eligible, but the website said I wasn't. I called AT&T and they sorted it out. However if the text you get says some time in 2011, thats the date you are stuck with.

23. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

I was. Original upgrade date was 11/10 but then ATT upped everyone eligible in '10 to Tuesday. ATT bases eligibility on how profitable an account is, i.e., how fast it can make its subsidy back and start making $. The more profitable the account the faster you get to upgrade.

24. selianth macrumors newbie

I think that's not quite right. If you have a family plan at more than $100/month, they gave the early upgrade to one phone on the plan, but it didn't have to be the primary line. My husband is the primary on our account, but he had a 3G from 2 years ago so he was already eligible to upgrade. I am a secondary line, bought the 3GS at launch last year, and was originally eligible to upgrade in November, but I got bumped to now. My "individual line" doesn't cost $100, but it was the only one that wasn't already eligible. So I'm pretty sure it's one line per account that's over $100, no matter which line on the family plan it is.

25. aristobrat macrumors G5

Looks like the only break people who pay over $100/month get now is $50 off the "full upgrade" price, except that doesn't apply to iPhones.

The way their eligibility chart reads now, anyone paying more than $69/month can upgrade after 18 months. Doesn't look like the $100+/month folks get to upgrade earlier?

http://www.wireless.att.com/learn/why/upgrade-advantage.jsp