Is Apple Care Worth it?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Humblebee, Feb 10, 2008.

1. Humblebee macrumors newbie

Humblebee

What are your experiences with Apple Care? Is it really worth the money, or should I just skip out on it? I plan to get a macbook pro in a few weeks (or months, depending), and would like your advice on whether or not I should buy this too. I noticed it doesn't cover theft, accidents, or power surges, so what good is it?

2. india349 macrumors member

india349

AppleCare gives you quite a bit of other things other than just added warranty. You're almost always covered when it comes to repairs and service if you need to take your product into an Apple store or if you're calling to mail it in.

Arguably, you're treated better in-store when you ask for repairs...and possibly over the phone get better service...it's what I've heard...

If you're worried about cost, you can usually pick up AppleCare on eBay for cheaper than what Apple Stores offer. (AppleCare is a physical, shrink-wrapped package...not just a piece of paper) Just make sure you buy an unopened, shrink-wrapped copy as anything opened probably has a used serial number and won't work with your product.

Usually, people recommend AppleCare if your product is Rev. A but anything after that, it's preference? Everyone will tell you something different. I'm not sure if this is your first Mac, but I would say get it, just to be safe. Computers are expensive and I use mine A LOT so I figure it's a good safety net if anything were to go wrong. Even if nothing happens, you get a copy of Tech Tool Deluxe! :D

3. Humblebee thread starter macrumors newbie

Humblebee

It is my first mac...

What's tech tool deluxe?

4. heatmiser macrumors 68020

5. stainlessliquid macrumors 68000

I know some people love to get applecare but I would say no its not worth it with computers. The 1yr warranty usually is enough to tell if there are any serious problems with the machine, if it doesnt break or show problems in the first year then it most likely wont break afterwards (atleast breakage thats covered by applecare like hardware failure). Its more worthwhile with ipods I think because of the battery not lasting forever (and when you send it in you get a refurb back with a brand new shell with all your previous wear and tear gone).

6. TheVandit macrumors member

TheVandit

I'd find out about your home contents insurance and maybe add your mac as a named item to be covered. I had a friend of mine who didn't have applecare (i don't either) he had a macbook and spilt (funnily enough!...) cider all over his APPLE macbook haha! Anyway, jokes aside he went to his insurer and sent it to them and they said they couldn't fix it so they gave him a brand spankin new one no problem.

He could have just had a good experience but check with your insurance provider.

7. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

This looks awfully similar to the question posted HERE and answered in depth less than a week ago in this very forum.

Yes, Applecare is worth it in my opinion. I developed that opinion after my last iMac (20" Core Duo) had a logic board go bad 6 weeks out of the one year warranty and had to pay for it out of pocket.

I was one of those "heck, if nothing is going to go wrong in the first year why bother?!" guys before that. :p

If you can't find a copy for 50% off at a local CompUSA before they close up for good then L.A. Computer is the cheapest place I know of to buy it outside of auctions. That's where I got mine.

8. Humblebee thread starter macrumors newbie

Humblebee

Sorry for the deadhorse topic, I didn't see any active threads about it.

I'll be getting an educational discount, so I get about 100$ off, but it's still pretty expensive.

I'll have to find out about the insurance coverage too.

9. hood macrumors member

I am a firm supporter of Applecare. It got my Rev A 2006 MBP replaced after two years. I took it in twice for a clicking noise that the machine was making. I had made 3 or 4 calls to Applecare in the last six months. After the second time the machine was taken to a Genius bar and not fixed correctly, I call Applecare and they said they would replace the machine. The replacement machine was delivered within 4 days of starting the replacement process. Once I received my new MBP I went out and bought Applecare again. I strongly think it is worth it.

10. -Noodles macrumors regular

-Noodles

If you're buying a macbook of any sort then yes, yes, and yes. Although apple has a one of the lowest defect rates of any of the other computer makers it is a laptop and plenty of things can go wrong.

There are really two main reasons to get the extra coverage: 1) if for some reason you have a problem of almost any sort you can have it fixed without worry. (Remember this when you stay up all night playing the latest shooter and fry your graphics card after blocking the macbook vent with your notebooks and empty bags of Doritos)
    2) if you are new to mac then it's probable that you'll need phone support after 90 days for something, so this should be of help too.

11. elmo151 Guest

a great bet (that's what it is) for a new machine like the MBA. Not as useful for a machine that's been released for a year or so.

12. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

I don't get this advice at all.

I don't think Applecare has any particular special application for "early adopters". Every Mac sold has one year of Applecare included and those sort of problems would certainly be apparent within that period.

If some defect turned up across an entire product line like the MBA, for example, Apple would either fix it in software/firmware updates or issue a recall. It would not have anything to do with Applecare in either case.

13. WILDCARD102654 macrumors newbie

Apple care

Using my third mac now and bought Apple care on this MAC bacause they are much more complicated and repairs can run in to $1500 quickly.
    2. Phone assistance on Problems tech care only 90 days, with all the software conflicts today, if you use much and you don't like surfing all over the net for answers.
    I purchase my last Mac MBP 15"/2.4/2X1GB/160-5400/256VRAM in june o7 I must have fifty hours of phone support, sent to apple repair unit three times, they are now replacing.:cool:

14. MAcNIAC macrumors regular

well i just got a quote for $2100 to replace the logic board in my MBP (15 mnths old). Hopefully the extended warranty you get when you pay with a gold credit card will cover it.

i think next time i'll get applecare

15. MattyMac macrumors 68000

MattyMac

Iin my opinion, without a doubt YES! I've used it way more than it is worth for my 12" PB.

16. GSMiller macrumors 68000

GSMiller

If you're getting an educational discount on it go ahead and buy it from :apple: because you won't find it anywhere cheaper.

I bought AppleCare for my iMac and in the 1 year and 4 months I've owned it I have never had to use it, but it was my first Mac and a nice security blanket. I may buy it for my MacBook but I dunno. Just know that Apple has an "all or nothing" rule when it comes to getting a product repaired. That means they will fix everything wrong with your Mac regardless if you tell them to. If one of the things wrong isn't covered by AppleCare, they will require you to pay for the repair out of pocket and if you refuse they will not fix anything. So take extra care of your MBP. You wouldn't want something as stupid as a dented case rendering your AppleCare useless.

17. Spritey macrumors regular

Spritey

If you're from a country with good consumer laws, such as Norway which has kjøpsloven, you don't need AppleCare as you automatically have a 5-year warranty on your computer bought in Norway with normal (non-dropping) use. (You will have to write a letter which will take you 5mins)

However, as you're from Florida I'd get AppleCare. Not necessarily right away if you're trapped for cash, but sometime within the first year. It's good to have if your HD fails or you get dead pixels on the screen within the first 3 years. Plus it increases your resale value if you were to sell it.

18. queshy macrumors 68040

queshy

Skip it.

if the computer breaks, its usually broken when you take it out of the box, in which case you can return it. If it does break in the first year, you're covered from apple. If it breaks in 3 years, you'll want a new computer by then most likely anyway...and won't want to go through the hassle of getting it fixed.

19. sturigdson macrumors regular

I guess this question is still, remarkably, customer dependent.

I'm a student and have been for the past... well... forever. not going to finish any time soon. So I've milked the student applecare. Also, been on a series macs for the past 10 years.

Here's my recommendation in a nutshell: imacs and laptops, get apple care. Monitors and mac pros or towers, it's much more up to you.

But as a student, you'll likely want your very expensive computer to last awhile. Things happen with computers over time- the boards get old, they have faults, etc. Fans die. Screens go down. Powersupplies kick the bucket.

I've had apple care on all my computers, but have found it to be vital on my laptops because almost nothing in them is user servicable. I've now taken in 2 macbooks, a macbook pro, 2 ibooks, and an old G4 tower multiple times. And applecare takes care of them all- if of course what's going on is their problem, not mine. I'm also very aware of what's going on with my systems, so you've got to do a little bit of leg work and research if something goes wrong.

But bottom line for me is that i can't afford to replace my computer every 12 months, nor can i afford to repair it if the logic board dies and costs 2100 bucks. i just can't. I need them to last as long as possible under relatively consistent use.
    Applecare is my best insurance policy to extend the life of my systems if i'm taking care of them appropriately.
    my vote: without a doubt, get it.

20. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

AppleCare paid for itself when the backlight on my PowerBook decided to crap out a month after the 1 year warranty was up.

I don't think it's as important for the desktops, which are generally less proprietary and easy to repair should something go wrong, but the laptops are not only a PITA to fix (I've built several PCs over the years and wouldn't dare go beyond installing RAM in my PowerBook) but they're expensive to fix. The backlight would've cost me 600 bucks out of pocket if I didn't have AppleCare.

And the fact that my backlight went out after a little over a year is proof that things don't go wrong out of the box, this was something that just happened suddenly while I was using my PowerBook in class with no warning whatsoever.

Oh, and anyone who says that after a couple years you'll want to upgrade anyways, I highly disagree with you. My PowerBook is now 2 and a half years old and still very usable, and I don't plan on upgrading soon, nor do I want to upgrade soon. If something went wrong now, I don't have 2 grand to spend on an MBP or even a grand to spend on a base MacBook. I like knowing that if something went wrong, I can take it to an Apple Store and get my laptop fixed without having to spend a single penny.

21. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

Personally, I'm not in the tax bracket where I can afford to consider a Macintosh disposable. :p

I usually sell my Mac and put the proceeds towards a new one. Macs tend to have excellent resale value.

That's just it. With AppleCare there IS no hassle. You send it in and they fix it. They even send out the courier with all the necessary packaging.

I'll never buy a Mac without AppleCare coverage again. I've already told the story about how my prior Core Duo iMac's logic board went bye bye 6 weeks out the one year warranty and cost me $500 (plus shipping) in enough of these "Do I need AppleCare" threads.

22. Agurri macrumors 6502

Agurri

I bought my Macbook CD back in August '06. At that time, I didn't take the Applecare. But, over my 1-year warranty, my MB's keyboard was replaced 2 times, my power supply once. So, las summer... I bought Applecare the day before my 1-year warranty would expire.... And I'm happy about it...

I think AppleCare for laptop is a must.

23. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Personally, I save my money, but as an Apple stockholder, I urge everyone else to buy AppleCare.

24. heatmiser macrumors 68020

Heh. I wonder how many folks rec AC without having the integrity to post the whole story, as you did.

25. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I don't know about that, but I do know I've given up on trying to explain that extended warranties are priced to be profitable, so lately I've taken to urging people to buy AppleCare to help fatten Apple's bottom line.