Is Apple Care worth it?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by CitiXen, Feb 24, 2009.

1. CitiXen macrumors member

CitiXen

Is apple care worth it on a uni-body MBP new or refub.? If so when should I buy it? Right away, or wait till the 1yr is up?

2. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

get it on ebay, and if you wait till your one year is up you can't apply it to your computer.

3. akm3 macrumors 68020

I *do* believe it is worth it, especially on a notebook. Every product I have personally put AppleCare on has paid for itself (which I know shouldn't happen, I guess I've been 'lucky')

But, DO buy it from Ebay, I was skeptical, but it went smoothly, activated smoothly and I would do it again. It cost $180 instead of $350.

-Allen

4. CitiXen thread starter macrumors member

CitiXen

Thanks for the great tips and info guys. I have one more question, if Applecare is 3 yrs, does it start "ticking down" as soon as you buy it? If so wouldn't it make sense to wait till the 11th month of the 1st year warranty coverage? What guarantees that Applecare auction on EBAY are new (ie. not with 2 yrs left) assuming they are counting down from the purchase date?

Thanks again guys for the replies.

5. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

warrantys are almost always worth it. If a mac was like $300 bucks then not so much..

6. marbles macrumors 68000

marbles

not really , a home insurance poilicy will often give you better coverage , for example Applecare does not cover accidental damage , most home insurance policy's do.
    I sell my machines within the first year anyway so never a point buying it for me but I do get accidental from an insurance firm .

edit>** you actually get 2 years extra , ie: if you buy Apple care, your existing one year [which you get free when buying a machine] is extended by two years , giving you a total of three years .

Look into your house insurance it may be the better option YMMV

7. CitiXen thread starter macrumors member

CitiXen

8. marbles macrumors 68000

marbles

9. aristobrat macrumors G4

When you buy a Mac, you get one year of warranty coverage included. This coverage starts the day your Mac was purchased. Buying AppleCare adds two more years of coverage. Again, the coverage is based on the date the Mac was purchased.

AppleCare can't be added to a Mac that is more than a year old, so if you're going to buy it, make sure you do it before then.

Does a homeowners policy cover a failed component? Say your hard drive fails in a 2-year old Mac? Will they cover that repair cost?

10. joleel7 macrumors member

Does the eBay Applecare works with my Macbook Pro purchcased in Canada? I am thinking getting the applecare 3 months before my warrenty expire.

11. CitiXen thread starter macrumors member

CitiXen

12. hacksaw-C87 macrumors regular

Absolutely, yes.

I can only talk for the UK shoppers, but if you buy it in store at the same time as your Mac purchase you get three years coverage for £47 when the standard price if you buy at another time or online is £298 (or something equally insane). I wouldn't have bought it at the £300 price but for £47 you'd be mad not to. Is this the same in the rest of the world. If you're Mac goes bad then you're going to want piece of mind, I'd say that's worth the cost.

13. yaroldb macrumors 6502

I use StateFarm to insure my home and cars. They have a personal property issuance. This allows you to insure personal items (not used for business) every year. I have my camera equipment and yesterday called to add my new MBP. It cost me $37.50 to insure it. The insurance does not cover mechanical breakdown but covers accidental damage, but if you lose it, drop it, or it gets stolen there is a $0 deductible on it. They cover either the repairs or the cost of the machine. I’ve had it for over a year on my camera and old Macbook and knock on wood, I’ve never had to file a claim. I have a friend also using this insurance and she dropped her Macbook. Took it to Apple and the quote was more than a new one. The State Farm rep sent her a check for the amount of the Macbook. I travel a lot and it’s great piece of mind.

Hope that helps.

14. hacksaw-C87 macrumors regular

That's a brilliant coverage. Wish I had something similar. My parents have got incredible coverage and have got the insurance brokers by the 'Jacobs' so I'm thinking I can get it on their coverage for next to nothing. Hadn't thought of this at all though, I'll get it on there ASAP if I can.

15. CitiXen thread starter macrumors member

CitiXen

It said "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage"

The new link works, thanks

16. marbles macrumors 68000

marbles

no worries, glad I could help.

I still wouldn't get Apple care though ....have a look at your(or your parent/guardians )home insurance policy , it may be a better proposition.

17. mstout macrumors member

Let me tell you how great Applecare is. I just had an airport go bad on me after a year and a half. I bought a new MBP 5 weeks ago. They decided to replace my airport for free under my applecare, even though I didn't have applecare on the airport. Unreal. Saved me $200. And I got a newer version of airport. I also had Applecare on my iphone. Phone was dying after just 5 months, they replaced it, no questions asked. Applecare rocks.

18. drewsof07 macrumors 68000

drewsof07

If you buy Applecare from Apple at the time of your computer purchase, it's a waste of $$
    Number 1: Applecare is much cheaper from places other than Apple. eBay is a great place for it.
    Number B: On hardware, you are GIVEN 1 year of Parts/Labor + 90 days phone support for software issues. And if you can't find the answer on the net, you obviously don't care to pay for phone support anyway :rolleyes:

Also, please use the search feature before posting a new topic. There have been numerous of these same threads in the past all telling the same information.

Yes I know B is not a number :p

19. Harmless Abuse macrumors regular

I'm actually a safeware fan.

It's just notebook insurance. It protects me against both hardware failure, and accidents. I get one year Applecare default, and it's great for the one year, but I will always shell out the $150 a year for my Safeware. I insure my notebook for its retail value, and life is good. This way I know I can be a little less worried if I drop it, or spill a drink on it or something. It's not that I'll be careless with my notebook, but accidents can happen.

20. nippyjun macrumors 65816

Your credit card (if you use one to pay for it) may give you a year extra warranty for free. Look into that as well.

Also, squaretrade offers accidental damage protection.

21. harry454 macrumors 6502

It very worth anything happens you get replacement part or whole thing, they even have in home service

22. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

I too have statefarm, although mine was a bit more to insure than the guy above, but then again I did do about 3000 dollars worth of coverage.

Homeowners insurance is not for small beans like hard drive breakdowns or accidental scratches, but for catastrophic loss.

I am actually doubling up on my machine. Applecare for anything that can be replaced or fixed up (with the potential of a borked GPU and perhaps an upgrade in the future ;) ) and statefarm personal articles insurance if I were to suffer theft or extreme damage.

Perhaps Apple should team up with statefarm/safeware and provide an accidental insurance plan. They could throw the apple tax on it and make a killing.

23. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Unless you think every repair issue warrants an entirely new machine, I don't think so. I'd rather get AppleCare for that reason. Apple will fix things I perceive as problems but may not be, small problems, big problems, and everything else in between. Also, I've had my machine replaced after a year due to issues, so it's not like I can't get machines replaced when it needs to happen.

Homeowner's insurance will also cover a replacement for me if it gets completely destroyed by an accident, or if it gets stolen. I almost resorted to it once, but my reseller took care of it under AppleCare even though it shouldn't have been. :)