Is Apple ever going to fix the GPS problem with iphone 6

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mikef07, Mar 24, 2016.

1. mikef07 macrumors regular

On my iphone 6 the GPS is worthless. It constantly says locating on the bottom and rarely locates. I have tried resetting network settings and that did not fix it. Anyone know if this is a common problem or another fix?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Have you brought this to Apple's attention? My 6 plus is problem free.

3. TurboPGT! macrumors 68000

Your phone is defective, obviously. Not sure how that could escape one's attention.

4. kapolani macrumors regular

I have no problems either.

Have you tried taking your phone in to get looked at? Not sure how you think Apple is going to fix your defective phone unless you take it in.

5. Farsider macrumors 6502

Farsider

Is Apple ever going to fix the GPS problem with iPhone 6? No, because there is nothing to fix - it works fine.

Your phone might have an issue. You need to get your phone looked at by Apple Support or at a Genius Bar.

6. Qbnkelt macrumors 65816

Qbnkelt

No problem with mine. Are you in a location with good signal when this happens or does it happen all the time?

7. mantan, Mar 24, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2016

mantan macrumors 68000

I had a problem similar to the OP's. I first started noticing it while using a running app. It would call out splits at the wrong locations and had me at odd paces (2-3 minutes faster or slower than normal). When I looked at the route log afterward, it had me jumping a block over and back at odd intervals rather than tracking down the street.

I started noticing it in the car as well. The icon would be a block away, or start going in the wrong direction or just lose the signal entirely.

I went to the local Apple Store and at that point it wasn't working at all. At the beginning of the appointment it had no signal. It eventually got a signal, but wasn't consistent. The Genius bar told me a they've seen this with several 6's...sometimes it's a bad GPS, sometimes it's 'some bad code somewhere. The chip can't be replaced, so you're stuck being a replacement (at lower cost). So his advice was for me to wipe it and load it as new. He felt confident that would fix everything. Seems like a royal PITA to load everything back on it. (He said not to do a restore)

This was also their solution for why my battery jumps down at 10%-20% ranges and will do the same thing when it charges. I used to be able to run for 2 hours and have 40%+ battery if I streamed music and used my run app. I've had it go dead after 40 minute runs.

I bit the bullet and finally wiped it this morning to see if it'll fix either issue.

Take it to an Apple Store and they will run a diagnostic test on it. If you don't have one nearby, then you can try the 'wipe it and start over' advice they gave me. I'll post back in a few days and let you know if it solved the issue for me.....

8. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

I, also, have had no GPS issues.

Why did you assume this was a problem with EVERYONE's iPhone 6?

9. Rok73 macrumors 65816

Rok73

Where did they assume it (well, except for the title)?

10. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Do you really expect a response to that or are you just "messin' with Sasquatch"?

11. Paul S macrumors regular

My 6 Plus is more accurate, connects faster to satellites than my stand-alone Garmin GPS.

12. mrex macrumors 68020

mrex

13. zombiecakes macrumors regular

GPS can and does go bad, my Nexus 4 went from working fine to barely functional and insanely inaccurate at random. If you are out of warranty you can attempt to replace the GPS part, its only a few bucks on ebay.

14. joeblow7777 macrumors 601

I'm an iPhone 6 owner, and I've never heard of a GPS problem.

15. mantan macrumors 68000

Well never mind then. I guess it doesn't exist.

16. mikef07 thread starter macrumors regular

17. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

18. HEK macrumors 68030

HEK

My GPS in 6s Plus works just fine. In Maps app even shows orientation of phone as I rotate in place. Dead nut on location, better than my Garmin.

19. 617aircav Suspended

How did you come to the conclusion that iPhone 6 have a gps issue?

20. HEK macrumors 68030

HEK

did the location problems began at the residence right after the new steel roof was added to the home? Just a thought.

21. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

22. HEK macrumors 68030

HEK

23. mrex macrumors 68020

mrex

but how can you be sure that there isnt any activity althought you have turned it off?

for a 9dollars you dont need to look stupid and walking wearing a tin foil hat outside.

24. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

No problem with my GPS. I have three large planters off of my driveway about 20 feet apart. I can tell which planter I am nearest of the three. So I am getting good results down to about 20 feet.

You need to take yours to the Apple store and show them.

25. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

That seems related to iOS 8.4, are you still on that version?

Either way, definitely take it in.