Is apple falling behind?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Shackler, Feb 24, 2008.

1. Shackler macrumors 6502a

Shackler

I mean hardware wise not software obiviously.
    But there is soo many posts about people waiting for a certain feature from Apple that they just aren't releasing.
    Things like:
    -Blu-ray
    -redesign MB/P
    -new track pads
    -LED backlit screen
    -Penryn
    -3G iphone
    -dedicated graphics on MB
    -Anything else??

All things that comparable products/companies already have in their line up. So whats with Apple not having these things considering its a company that prides itself on innovation and being ahead of the competition.
    Maybe its just me but i think they have alot of work to do this year.

2. Csmitte macrumors 6502

Csmitte

while i see your point i must admit that if they gave us all we wanted, then what could we post about?

3. slybeans macrumors member

4. Freyqq macrumors 68040

everyone always seems to push for a redesigned MBP. I don't get it. What exactly do you want different? The thing already looks nice, weighs less than any laptop in its class prob, and has a backlit keyboard.

5. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

Not only that but the cost of a low end MB would be $2000. No thanks :) They would lose so much of their market. Though Apple creates great products keep in mind they do need maintain close cost competition with PC machines. Money is a dictator.

6. MacBookJoePro macrumors regular

I think Apple's main objective is to keep their lineup simple. Every other company that has all the latest and greatest end up coming out with new lines, new models, different model numbers, different options, additional add-ons, other upgrades, and blah blah blah. Not everyone who is computer literate will understand what they need and don't need. Apple will incorporate the latest and greatest (supposedly) every 9-10 months for each of their simple product line. If they released a new MBP, MB at the moment that a new item or gadget comes out, then Apple would just be like all other companies.

Anyways, hopefully this update to the MBP will incorporate everything you just said, except maybe blu-ray hehe. Apple's main market is to have their lineup appeal to everyone and their mama's mama's mama and daddy.

-JoE

7. Watabou macrumors 68040

Watabou

I would say yes seeing they didn't come out with Penryn yet.

8. speakerwizard macrumors 68000

speakerwizard

basically no, apple offers a range of products for different needs many of them years ahead if competition, iPhone, osx, generally with apple products you get a great deal when they are a fresh update but this is offset by them having a longer life than a competing product ( though still a better altogether package due to there very nature, saying that though apple are very different from other companies with a very simple product range compared to lots of products with thousands of options.

9. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

The reason companies have a dedicated GPU in the MacBook class is because they have a greater range of product -- Apple is rather thin in that area.

Rather than the GPU, adding two more chipsets -- a low cost portable chipset, and the desktop chipset would likely be adding more range to the product line than simply making a small screen MacBook Pro would.

Likely, the MacBook Air might be a sign of things to come.

Apple is pushing Intel far harder for packaging changes with their chipsets and CPUs -- the smaller boards this allows might mean some significant form factor changes in the future for both the MacBook and MBP.

10. aiterum macrumors 6502

aiterum

Unless Apple upgrades, then yes they are falling behind. They've been pretty far behind with the Penryn upgrades into their mobile line at least.

11. Shackler thread starter macrumors 6502a

Shackler

these are just simply things a company like Apple should have already.
    and if the MBA is the direction that they are taking towards there other laptops, i wont be happy. few ports, no CD/DVD drive, all about thiness it just doesnt appeal to the masses.

12. Arkbargle macrumors member

Do you have stock in the company?

13. aethelbert macrumors 601

1. Way too expensive.
    2. They've only been using the current designs for two years, less for the macbook.
    3. Nobody else is selling those mainstream.
    4. Same as 3.
    5. Also same as 3, quite expensive, it is also in very high demand right now.
    6. Does anyone else have a 3G iPhone to compete with AAPL?
    7. Why? That's not the computer's designed purpose.
    8. No.

14. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

A dictator?? Absolutely not, money is a consideration but not a dictator. The day and only the day Apple stops making computers and no longer supports their past line of computers I will then consider a PC.

Apple makes great computers and the Mac OS is the main reason I use a Mac so if they cost a lot more I will pay for Macintosh, sorry but some people on this forum CAN be bought by cheap PC's just because Apple may not be on time with updates.
    I don't want Windows ever so money is not going to dictate me. Make sure you speak for yourself in regards to money dictating people.

15. waywardsage macrumors 6502

waywardsage

As a Pro, who will be needing certain features in the near future. I am frustrated with Apple. The current MBP design is practically perfect. It doesn't need to be thinner. If it goes any thinner, standard hard drives and graphics cards won't fit any more.

Forget all this redesign nonsense. the Macbook Pro is a PRO machine. Pro's need certain things:

Blu ray drive option (slot loading drives already exist for the 17" MBP)

eSATA, most new external hard drives offer it. It's becomming a standard now. It'd be nice to have a built in port.

LED backlit for the 17" MBP. Better color gamut, less battery drain. etc.

More graphics card options. It's rediculous for them to charge top dollar for a graphics card thats over a year old. It's already been leapfrogged twice!

Penryn. Everyone has it. And Apple is twiddling its thumbs.

BTO 3G built in. Pretty rediculous that its the only major manufacturer that doesn't offer this. They're already in bed with AT&T. How much more difficult would it be to add the little chip for a $200-$300 BTO option? Instead of having one of those rediculously flimsy USB 3G cards? I've heard the Steve's excuses and it doesn't make sense. Dell, HP and the majors offer a selection of them for BTO.

I could care less about case redesigns. In fact, they could go a few mm's thicker so standardized parts would fit in it! It'd be pretty cool if they could somehow shoehorn 2 hard drives in somehow. I know it's probably impossible because its pretty crowded in there. But they could go a few mm thicker at the base, and LED makes the screen thinner so it would perhaps even out.

16. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

Your wants are not necessarily correct for the majority. From the replies, I would say you're a minority with your thoughts. Recent trends have Apple increasing its market share, therefore I think they are doing fine with their current marketing plan. ;)

17. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

Read trend reports. Read market share reports on PC and Apple distribution. If you think money does not direct how the general public leans towards for their IT needs then you are mistaken. How many Fortune 500 companies run PCs and not Macs as their main computer system? Without looking I am willing to bet over 90% if not 95% to 99%.

Again, stats in this case don't lie. I understand this is a Mac board, but at the same time being level headed leads to more logical conclusions and less outrage "fanboy" outbursts.

18. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

I totally understand that you have certain needs as a pro but as I read your entire post what does most of it have to do with being a pro?
    3G? LED backlight? Pros have been using computers for years and never needed this. I think you just want the latest technology.
    The graphics card? Another pro thing?? Uh no. All of Apple pro software runs on the current GPU in the MBP.
    Blu ray drive? Another pro thing?? Uh no. You can use high capacity external drives to store files.

19. Radio Monk33 macrumors 6502

That's not what their stock price says! Zing!

20. bankshot macrumors 65816

bankshot

The MacBook Pro design is essentially 5 years old now. It is the same as the aluminum PowerBook which preceded it (introduced MWSF 2003), with the switch to Intel and only minor (external) design changes otherwise.

I'm not in the market for a MBP (too much extra price premium over the MB for too little extra performance/features), but in my mind its design has one glaring deficiency: lack of easily upgradeable hard drive. My MacBook's hard drive has been replaced 3 times now, and each time it took about 2 minutes to do. If it weren't for the design there, I'd have had to send it in to Apple for replacement and wait a week or more, or spend an hour doing it myself (and possibly voiding the warranty in the process).

I've replaced the hard drive on a G3 iBook, and while it wasn't technically difficult, I've got better things to do with an hour of my time. Not to mention the fact that many (most?) Apple customers wouldn't even attempt a job like that themselves.

I think most PC laptops have had user-upgradeable hard drives for years (long before the MacBook), and in its defense Apple probably pointed out the fact that those modular laptop designs were/are ugly, with lots of latches and hinges and screws everywhere. But they showed with the MacBook that they could tuck it away somewhere that's not seen under normal circumstances, but is easily accessible. That was nearly 2 years ago, and there seems to be no excuse for why they haven't updated the MBP with a similar design.

Of course, I have no idea why I care to write so much about a product I'll never buy myself... :rolleyes:

21. markrivers macrumors 6502a

markrivers

:eek: they are?? that can't be.. they're APPLE:confused:
    it's againts Newton's 4th LAW.

this is just Propaganda... ALL PROPAGANDA! hu hu hu!!
    ( leave Britney alone!):D

22. motulist macrumors 68040

motulist

You put 2 and 2 together and wound up with the answer 22.

Of COURSE people want new stuff in Apple products that aren't available yet, because that's how technology always is! People complaining that they want something in an Apple product, or any other computer maker's product, has been going on since computer were first invented!

10 years ago people were complaining about tons of new technologies that were appearing in other manufacturer's products but weren't available in Apple's offerings at the time.

- faster mhz cpu
    - DVD writer
    - faster ram
    - etc.

Many people are always clamoring that the brand newest technologies should be available in their computer choices from the second the technology came out, but in the real world it takes every computer manufacturer some time to get new tech into their products on the market. So every manufacture is ahead in the release of new technologies in some areas, but a few months behind in other areas.

Welcome to the world of computers, as it always was, as it probably always shall be.

23. callmemike20 macrumors 6502a

callmemike20

apple is just trying to throw as much technology as they can in the upgraded notebooks. With all this new stuff that came out recently, it will be a while before everything can get added to the new mbps.

24. heatmiser macrumors 68020

...*cough*Macbook*cough*...

25. BlueScreenX macrumors member

BlueScreenX

meh. if things dont change in 6 month they will be.