Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cooknn

macrumors 68020
Aug 23, 2003
Fort Myers, FL
earthtoandy said:
yeah the iPod is the opposite of what it should be... the iPod has led to more Apple awareness and led to many switchers along the way and the number grows. Apple is around for good.
I was with a friend who bought her first Mac last night at the new CompUSA here in Fort Myers. She got the new iMac G5 1.8 w/ Superdrive. Before she got her iPod a few months ago she had never even considered a Mac...

apple2991

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2004
As much as we would all love to see Apple succeed in every area of technology, it's unrealistic to expect them to do everything. They happen to be making a lot of money AND getting promotion for their computers from the iPod/iTunes thing. It isn't that Apple is abandoning making computers AT ALL, it's just that the iPod is what's hot/hip, and by no means are they going to say no to that.

Besides, it isn't written in stone that Apple has to make money in the same market(s) as MS, Dell, or whomever else. If they can market peripherals and/or computers to different markets more effectively than others (like film and design companies as opposed to business) then more power to them. I'll still buy one as long as I still like them. They don't need to compete in markets where the returns would be too small to warrant the attack (like business, games) even IF they succeeded.

Xalon

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2004
Well, they don't appear to be dying, it's mostly the fact that all the Windoze users say they're going down.

Suicide ! Millions of lemmings can't be wrong!

earthtoandy

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2003
and look at those financial reports! apple is sparkling! and now they plan to sell what.. a million ipods a month. no prob! bright skies ahead

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.